Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V4 vs CC for fun,fast, forgiving ride?

Trying to decide between a 5'10 v4 and 5'9 CC. 72kg intermediate for uk + overseas places like France/Spain/portugal Thinking priorities are fast fun and forgiving. Little worries the tail rocker might be too much for me in the cc and a bit worries the v4 is narrower than anything iv surfed in a while and might be a bitto high perf for my average level. This will be replacing my el fuego 5'9 for when te waves get good (I don't surf anything over head and a half) Appreciate anyone's opinion on which will be the best bet for what I'm after. Really enjoying my SP Dom and EF but always looking to improve my boards

V4 would be really fun, fast and forgiving :) You cant compare the width with conventional boards. 18.5" feels like 19.5" on a Vanguard. The outline is so parallel that they are stable and forgiving, but the design is super manoeuvrable and as high performance as you want it to be, but at the same time you don't have to work the board for speed and you can cruise around with snowboard style freedom and carves on the face.
    The CC is going to be more like a step down performance shortboard.

Comment

Cheers phill, that sounds logical, there isn't really any ride reports on them as of yet so I'm a little hesitant, however I'm a bit put off by the vg by them having a long effective edge with relativly low volume, if I got a 5,6 it's the right vol more or less but a long rail, I I went 5'4 I'd have a low vol but better length. The v4 has the rounded nose so I'm thinking I can get away with a longer overall board in my preferred volume with a close effective edge to what I want due to the tapering of the nose. Also I'd expect there to be a bit more glide for paddling. Assuming what I have said is close to right do you think the 5'10 will be around right for my stats (5'9 72kg) or is it still too long with these types of boards?

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not too sure on the size guiding for the pointed noses, but the 5'10 should be good. For what it's worth I found the 5'6 Vanguard a bit of a boat in anything that wasn't slopey. To me the rails are really full and because of the deep concave the overal thickness feels more like 2.5"+ and the thickness is mostly still there right out to the rails and right back into the tail. Definitely can be ridden lower volume.
        I'm not sure how the V4 will compare to that volume wise, but I'd get the 5'10 for myself.

Does anyone know what Tomo has done in terms of rocker, bottom contours and rails with his firewire version? My v4 (custom) is the fastest board i have in my quiver, but it is not forgiving and it needs waves with push. From my experience it is a very technical, high performance board. Mine only works as a thruster.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Is the V4 more refined than the Vanguard?
        A guy near me compared his handshaped Tomos (Nano, Vanguard and V4) with my FW version. He said his handshapes were a lot more foiled out in the rails and said my Rapidfire one was blocky in comparison. I think the concaves are the same, very deep single right through. I'd have thought the rocker was the same if not very close.

What size is your V4 compared to your dims?

From how its written up in the 2013 catalog flyer and on boardshops website it sounds its very similar To the vanguard but with a pointed nose, one of the readers on this forum said he spoke to dan himself while is was riding one and it didn't sound like the board was more high perf. I get the impression it's more just for guys who want a pointy nose board. Phill, I see what you mean about the rails. They could be fairly boxy, 5'8 just seems like it would be hard work paddling at 24.9 ltrs

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        The 510 is 2.25" thick so should be alright I reckon. The 2.38 on the Vanguard is very full to me, especially for a HP shape.

This is a great thread. I'm seriously considering the 5'10 V4 as well just to get a little more volume under me (vs the 5'4 Vanguard that I'm currently on).

When I asked Dan about how his V4 rode he said, "same as that", (pointing at my VG), "maybe a little more of an all arounder". We'll see when they come out.

Comment

Mine is 5'4, 18 3/4, 2 1/4 - i'm 5'6 70kg. Really deep single but quite a bit of nose and tail rocker - round nose version. Unreal board in bigger conditions - i've made barrels i shouldn't have and whne you get the fins right, you can jam some great cutties and snaps. I really like mine as a thruster. Can't wait to see the firewire version - what tech i wonder?

Comment

FWIW - my three Tomo handshapes (2 nanos and 1 V4) have way more foiled rails than my Firewire Vanguard. That said, I'll grab for the Vanguard almost any day over the handshapes.

Comment

I'll grab a machine cut board any day too :D

ALOHA!!

Comment

I think Stu Kennedy is riding a V4 in the "Los Cabos Open of Surf" right now. If that's true (it's difficult to tell if it's a FW), he's making it look pretty good.

Comment

• csarqui
                csarqui commented
                Editing a comment
                Nope, definitely not a FW board. But he won his heat and rode whatever it is really well.

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                He was riding a Tomo XTR V4 in a previous round I'm pretty sure.

Anyone see CIs V4 rip off? http://channelislands-store.mwrc.net...oduct_id=56359

lol
              Last edited by Phill; 06-22-2013, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Comment

Interesting. Well, I guess surfboard shapes are an evolving thing. I think that the Lost Rocket paved the way for the Dominator and Spitfire. I like that we (the customers) get to benefit from it all.

Comment

@Phill, yea it definitely looks like the V4!

ALOHA!!

Comment

@csarqui, competition also makes thing evolve! :D

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                      X