X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any V4 ride reports?

I know that many of these have hit the stores here in San Diego. I tried to jump on the 5'10 but somebody beat me to it. Any experiences to share yet? Especially, compared to the Vanguard?

i was looking at a 510 the other day, it was 5'10 x 18.75" x 2.38" 28.8l rather than 2.25" 27.7l that is listed on the website.
    it looked pretty nice though

Comment

What the...? Different dims? This changes everything. Well, I was thinking that a 5'10 was a little longer than what I wanted, but I was going to roll with it anyway. A would welcome the 5'8 if it had a little more volume than what was listed. This could be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Phill View Post
        i was looking at a 510 the other day, it was 5'10 x 18.75" x 2.38" 28.8l rather than 2.25" 27.7l that is listed on the website.
        it looked pretty nice though
        i like those dims

Comment

a team rider who enjoys the vg said he steps up onto the v4 head high plus... better for vert work in the bigger stuff and loads of drive... also, and what has sold me is, its not "front foot fishy" like conventional boards with forward wide points.. man, i hate fishy boards..!!.. for interest though, i took the vg out the other day in fairly large full on uneven point/ledge stuff with steps and boils etc... handled fine, even with just ea blackstix in... and i came off three weeks in bed so wasn't in form.. (never in form anyway)... board was still comfortable taking it on....

Comment

Yeah I expect the dims have changed since then. The boards in Europe would have been ordered 3 months ago so maybe the finalised dims are the thinner ones.

Comment

The V4 are listed on SurfRide's website and the dims are different than that listed on the Firewire website. I'd like to see what the 5'8 dims turn out to be.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up everyone. Soon as we got the V4ís in we checked the dimensions. The actual boards delivered into Europe are shown on our site. They are slightly different than the dims on the Firewire website:

http://www.boardshop.co.uk/brands/fi...=106&BSSTY=,V4

If it helps:

5ft 8 x 18.25 x 2.25 25.8 lts
                5ft 10 x 18.75 x 2.375 28.8 lts
                6ft x 19 x 2.5 31.5 lts
                6ft 2 x 19.5 x 2.625 34.8 lts
                6ft 4 x 20 x 2.75 38.4 lts
                6ft 6 x 20.5 x 2.875 42.2 lts

I do not know about boards outside Europe, but am assuming the above are the finalised volumes for everyone.

Arguable more realistic than the lower volumeís originally published. What do you think?

Cheers,

Comment

Thanks for the list of dims. That's very helpful. I have a surf trip coming up on the 4th and I just found that the fin box on my Vanguard is cracked and the board has taken on a lot of water. I want to find a V4 asap!

Comment

Hey Core thanks for the insight into the V4 I was just thinking my Vanguard is my one board quiver and that the V4 was going to be under volumed at 40.3 for the 6'6", and now they bring it out at 42.2lts now I have problems I will just have to get one, might have to sell the BP which has been gathering dust since I got the Vanguard.

Comment

test

Comment

I rode my brand new V4 today.
                        5'10 with 28.8 litres of volume. I have a VG at 5'6 and 28.8 litres also. I am 5'9 and 170 lbs
                        The V4 feels like it has less volume as it does not paddle quite as well. The waves were a little soft 2-4 feet beachbreak. The V4 caught waves nicely if I was in the spot. A little more effort than the VG. It surfed Ok. About average for a hi-performance SB on the softer waves. Then the tide changed a bit and the waves started to get a little throw behind them.
                        The V4 absolutely lights up as soon as the wave face gets a little steep. SOOOO freaking fast. Just like the VG. Id say its a bit more hi-performance than the VG too. You can really put it on rail at hi speed and it will hold and turn real tight.
                        Now my problem is deciding whether to go with the snub nose VG or the pointy V4. Either way its a win win. Seems that the V4 will have a very hi end as far as wave size goes. As big as you can get into. TOMO boards are winners for sure

Comment

• DMsurfer
                          DMsurfer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          How did the Rapid Fire feel vs. FST?

The V4 dims have now been updated on the website to reflect the higher volume per length as listed by boardshop. Looks like Vanguard + 4 inches = V4. ( well at least for the 5'6" VG to 5'10" V4 comparison. )

Comment

sambone, thanks for the reply. That's some really good information. It makes me more confident in my desire to try one out.

Comment

So I bought a V4 on Saturday and sold it on Wednesday. Here's some background, I've got a 5'4 VG which I love but I'm struggling to paddle the board around because of the low volume (26L). A 2 hours session can really burn me out. My goal was to try something similar but with more volume so I purchased the 5'10 V4 at 29L. Consider that jump in volume when you read my ride report.

Ride report. I surfed it twice; once in shoulder high glassy conditions with easy takes offs on the outside and a nice finishing shore break; second session was waste high, high tide, fairly walled conditions. I found that the V4 had more drive than the VG. The first turn is not as quick off the drop as the VG but once you got 1 pump into the wave it was off and running. I found that my turns had to be a little more planned than the VG, not as quick and twitchy, but more directional. The board can generate and handle a lot of speed down the line, given the right wave. I had a couple of full wrap cut backs and it threw me right back into the white wash with plenty of speed (more than I'm used to). I had a couple of opportunities to turn tight in the pocket but I couldn't quite wrangle the board in and make it happen. It just wants to race down the line. On the second session, where the waves were closing out over the sand bar, I was able to get in, race down the line real quick, and then get a finishing move in. Most of the guys in the water couldn't get down the line at all. Paddle volume was perfect. Catch-ability was great. Under foot, it's not as magical as the VG but I like it more than any other HPSB that I've tried. I agree that this would be a good "step up" to the VG.

I know it seems like a quick turnaround but I got enough time on it to know that it wasn't right for me. I would describe the shape as a "short board with some VG qualities" instead of a "VG with a pointed nose". Presented with the option of taking out the VG or the V4 every morning, I don't think I would ever choose the V4. Keep in mind that I'm not weighing apples to apples here because of the volume jump. I still want to try both boards in the 27.5 volume range.

I put the board up on CL with a pretty hefty price tag. It sold quick and I took that money to the store and bought the 5'5 VG. Packed it up and I'm off to Costa Rica today. I'll post a ride report on that when I can.

Comment

• Phill
                              Phill commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'd be interested to hear how you like the 5'5 VG. How are the rails. The. 2"3/8 was already super full so going thicker scares me.
                              Shame about the V4 but sounds like too much length and volume. Kind of how I felt with my 506 Vanguard. Moments of magic but just felt a bit bulky when there was a proper section. It drove through wrapping cut backs in softer waves like a dream though.
                              I'm hoping my 5'4 is magic.

• DMsurfer
                              DMsurfer commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Great review. How much do you weigh and how tall are you? I'm trying to make my mind up on the size for a V4. I weigh 170 and am 6'1", intermediate. I want to use this board as an all-arounder.
                              Last edited by DMsurfer; 07-04-2013, 03:46 PM.
                          Working...
                          X