Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard Size - Pros & Cons

Hello everybody,

im going to California next week and i thinking of buying a Firewire Vanguard. I already have a Baked Potato 5'9', and looking for more performance on the bigger days. I do have some questions:

1) The Vanguard can be surfed on 5ft-7ft waves ?

2) I looking for something different, but a Unibrow would be better in this size of waves?

3) I surf a Baked Potato 5'9'' - 43lts. I dont know if i should get a vanguard 6'0 - 39lts or a 6'2'' - 43lts. Between the two, going bigger i will get more paddling power and less performance or should i go smaller ? What are the pros and cons of getting a 6'0 or a 6'2'' ?

If anybody could help i wold be very happy because its difficult to decide what size in a such a different typ of surfboard.

Thans a lot ! ! ! ! !

I'd suggest going smaller. I'd ride mine an inch longer than my Baked Potato. Big volume drop but you need less in good waves and the shape is so efficient it takes less volume to get it going. I wouldn't go bigger than the 6'0. The rail line on these is so straight, it's comparable to a board a foot longer.

Comment

• Matt_s
      Matt_s commented
      Editing a comment
      Phill are you still happy with your 506? Or do u wish u went 504
      I still think the vol on the 506 would be good for me but if it feels like a 6'6 board in some ways its a bit off putting.
      At 73-74kg and 5'9 what do u think would do best a 5'4 or 5'6 ?. I just can't see myself surfing the vol of the 5'4 but its such a unique board it's hard to get my head around sizing it.

Great Phill ! Thanks a lot.

One more question, do you thing the Vanguard can hold what size of waves ?

Because im buyng this board to have an option on the bigger days, rather than my baked potato.

And what about fins. Do you have any indication ?

Thanks

Comment

• Phill
      Phill commented
      Editing a comment
      I've surfed a 506 in 1.5x overhead. It holds really and and goes very fast! I like it as a thruster with my normal thruster set. Depending on your weight your fin size will vary to mine. I like the Soar DL template and am going to try the EA Blakstix next time we have some waves.

• Peterleo
      Peterleo commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive noticed big speed improvement and wave catching ability by puttingin box fillers in unused boxes, using amt twin fins. Using k2 futures in shallow banks. Its too easy catching waves. The Amt fins r too deep in shallow banks. Ive tried all the futures tree fins.

Like Phill said, this board will definitely be great for those bigger days. I also like the Rob Machado signature fin which is very similar to the EA Blakstix.

Comment

Caio I would go with a 6'2" if you are over 100kgs I ride a 5'9" BP as well and absolutely love the Vanguard in a 6'2" I have ridden it up to 12 ft faces with ease as a thruster with Large Jordy fins. The reason I like the volume is to actually catch heaps of waves and catch the waves you want instead of being in the exact position when you have less volume. I had a HF 6'6" and it was okay when you got the waves but the issue was you did not get enough waves due to lack of volume. One other thing about the 6'2" it will suit a large wave range from 1.5-6ft+ so you probably will not use the BP as much as that's what I have found.

Comment

• caio.picanco
        caio.picanco commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect. Im over 100kg. Do you like the way vanguard feels ? Its different type of surfing right ?

Same setup here, love those Jordy fins on it, although my vanguard is a 5'6"

Comment

Caio I can't explain how good the Vanguard feels it is such a great board in all conditions and is so solid in overhead waves, it rides so smooth and you really do not have to change your surfing at all you just surf so smooth with incredible speed. Riding the board is like you are cheating it's that easy to ride and you just do anything you imagine. I have had lots of boards and the Vanguard it my number one pick for a one board quiver and the BP is my second choice for summer grovel.

Comment

Matt, the 5'6 is too much board for me. I fear the 5'4 would have been too low volume though. I've had something made between the two. 5'4 x 18" x 2.38" 27l with rails foiled out like a shortboard rather than stay thick all the way to the rail like my 5'6 did.
          Because they hold the thickness I'd say dropped to 2.25" on the FW 5'4 wouldn't be such an issue, and they certainly feel like more volume than you'd think, probably because all the volume and width is centred underneath you rather than wasted in long pointy noses etc.
          At 73kg you should be sweet on the 5'4 I reckon, but in all the winter gear it could be a bit touch and go.

Comment

• Matt_s
            Matt_s commented
            Editing a comment
            Cheers phill, might try the 5'4, sounds like the 5'6 I'd be disappointed with in the end. I know what u mean about the winter gear, never makes things easy where paddling is concerned

I am currently riding a 5'6 vanguard and a 5'10 v4. Both the best boards I've ever owned! I am 5'9 and weigh 170 lbs and (77kg) and I am wondering if anyone of similiar size is riding the 5'4 vanguard. I like the 5'6. its real fast and very responsive, but a litre more than needed and the 5'4 is about a litre less than desired. I cant help but think how fast i could make the 5'4 whip around in the pocket though!!!
          Let me know how the 5'4 is working for you and what u weigh. thanks.
          I had the chance this week to ride the v4 at a secret point break in baja this week and I was blown away at how fast it is and how well it holds the rail when turning steep in the pocket. I am glad I got the 5'10 on this board. It does not glide into waves as easily as the 5'6 vanguard does.

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            sounds like the exact predicament i was it

I am thinking about ordering a V4 soon but am not sure if I should get the 5'6 or 5'8. I am 5'9 and weigh about 155 lbs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I am curious as to what size I should ride the Vanguard? I am thinking the 5'4 but would love to hear some feedback from those who have ridden these progressive new shapes.

Comment

I'm 5'11" and 185lbs/84kg, just picked up a 5'10" VG, haven't had a chance to ride it. On my other boards (6'0" Spitfire, 6'2" Stealth) I have always gone at least one size larger and never regretted my decision. Interestingly, the VG is both the shortest and most volume of any of the 3 boards. That extra foam definitely helps get in the waves earlier and being able to out paddle the pack is a bonus. Will report once I have a couple of solid sessions. The board looks truly sweet.

Comment

Hello I have a Vanguard 5.6 "the best board I've ever had and I fit perfect in volume" weight 75kg I want to buy another vanguard for small waves (1-3 feet). I wanted to know for which was conceived by 5.5 compared with 5.6 and if I would go best for small waves to replace the potatonator 5.6. My idea is to have a vanguard 5.5 (1-3 feet) one vanguard 5.6 (3-6 feet) and a 5.10 V4 (6ft + or hollow waves) and that this is my all around quiver. Thanks you very much for your help.

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't think the shorter and narrower 5'5 would be better for small waves. Probably the other way around. If you want a small wave Tomo then wait for the Nano next year. I think that's more geared for smaller stuff.

Or if you can't wait 5'3 baked potato !

Comment

Followup: I have 3 sessions so far on the 5'10" VG, ridden everything from 2'-6' mostly steep beachbreak. The thing absolutely flies! I am in love with the board. It responds a bit differently than my other boards to style and weight transfer, so I'm still figuring it out, but the speed is astonishing, as is the snappy nature of the shape. Man I wish this board was available in TimberTek!!!

Comment

Hey Track,
                  How does it paddle? Have you tried it yet on a point break wave yet?

Comment

Working...
                  X