X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard, surfing and stance adjustments

hey everyone, i'm about to bite the bullet and buy a VG. Even though i'd like to get one in FST or TT.
    I demoed one a few months ago and loved it. I only had 1 session on it, so not nearly enough time to figure it out.
    However I found I really had to adjust you stance a little, more so on the take off's especially for late drops
    is this what most VG owners have found ?

Also, I found it seemed to draw slightly different lines on bottom turning (to what i expected), anyone else felt the same ?
    reason being, I'm not sure i was on the right size. I'm 88kg and 6ft, was on a 5'8

Still i loved how short it can be ridden, and was amazed how easy it was to go vertical and whip around.

I'm 85Kgs myself and got a 5'6". The board goes insane, quick and fast. I have realyzed that my back foot is always to the very back of the pad. Most people tend to be scared of pewrlingthe noseonthe take offs. Funny enough, the channels combined with the nose rocker will meke it hard to catch it. One of the many features this board has is theway the volume has been distributed. I withitwill come out in FST as well. Now outting my eyes on theV4

Comment

• Phill
      Phill commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm starting to think it won't happen in FST. I reckon it'll be in Tomo's new construction. XTR and carbon fibre or something maybe.

• Slowman
      Slowman commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be good, hope it uses innegra cloth...literally bullet proof. I have some small fractures appearing where my railsaver has been "saving" my rail on the tail!

Tended to agree with the nose diving thing but I have one local wave that does not break that often where i was only making maybe one out of 3 or 4 takeoffs. Spent my fair share of time amongst the kelp. Got to the stage if was becoming embarrassing for both machine and beast. Mind you, others were having similar problems. With my tail between my legs, went in an grabbed the Activator. Made 100% takeoffs from that point. Went from the unwanted orphan to being handed every set wave that came through. Not wanting to repeat with the VG, its the Activator on that wave for the time being. Will order a V4 with that nose rocker and will see if that solves the problem, although a month or 2 wait.

One thing that I have noticed a huge difference with the VG is my backhand surfing. Maybe my backhand style is naturally back foot orientated but have had an instant improvement. Surfed backhand the best I have in my life each and everytime with backhand moves I have never ever tried and pulling them off. Not a lot of lefts on the surfcoast here so 98% is surfing rights so when the opportunity to surf lefts came up(or rather a lack of rights), a mediocre performance was usual. Till now anyway. Find myself looking at lefts the same as rights

Comment

• Peterleo
      Peterleo commented
      Editing a comment
      found that as well , my lefts (backhand) were no problems at all, actually my first left i did a 360 in the pocket and all i wanted to do was a reentry, then took off like a scalded cat, just cant get it right on my normal stance. My Dominator . Futura and Hellfire are doable on either stance.

hey guys, yeah i found from my 1 demo session, that at first i made a real effort to stay on the tail, and had some great waves, then started to relax into my normal ways ( i guess) and pearled the next 3 waves in a row. I think you've just got to make a conscious effort or be more aware on dropping in, after that it's all good. Ps - not sure if you've seen the VG pics in TT on the firewire kiteboard facebook page.
    Last edited by vortextheory; 07-25-2013, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Since the nose area is fuller you are encouraged to advance on the board on takeoffs, more than you would normally do. That will make your takeoffs waay easier.

Comment

I pearl about twice as much on my VG than any regular board. Sometimes taking off late is the only option of you want the wave. I'd really like to see a VG with a little bit of nose.

Comment

• iggy
          iggy commented
          Editing a comment
          The V4 is the solution

ride the 5'6 and you will feel fine on it... just surfs as normal.... only better... i'm the same hgt/weight... it loves the back boot, but you can get by forward as well, but with the same limitations as your "norm" board.. but it will plane better from forward and not pearl as readily out on the face... the last couple of surfs i've had long backhand bowly waves and have enjoyed getting forward and laying the whole thing over, buried from nose to tail and pushing full bore through both legs...best backhand roundhouses i've probably ever done...up to half a dozen per wave...talk about a leg workout..!!... i've pearled a couple of sucked out take offs but it makes most, and recovers from pearls regularly when a "normal nose" would keep diving deeper...

Comment

Yeeeeewwwww

Comment

The pearling thing I think is in your head. If you think about it too much, you will! What I find is the key to success on these things is to get into the wave quickly, dropping straight and then turning really quick, on the steeper stuff. I have tried angled take offs and the wide nose seems to hold it up an instant. It's critical getting up as quickly as possible to start the turn early otherwise you end up down the bottom in the flats watching the wave peel off without you. I have nosed dived on a reo and pulled it back out a few times now - it's amazing how it does it. If you let it, it almost does it by itself. While that's all good, it's not the board I am going to take out to surf a heavy slabbing wave (not yet anyway).

Comment

Times when I pearl:

- Just caught a wave and I'm paddling back out. Sets are coming way out the back, no way I'm getting to them. But maybe. Keep paddling out and at an angle because, who knows, maybe? I'm starting to get near the shoulder which is already throwing out but I have a 50/50 chance, so I let the lip snag me sideways and pull me in, air dropping half way down the face, getting to my feet at the same time.

- The tide is weird and when the sets roll in they're missing the outside and making their way all the way to the sand bar shore break, but there's some shape to them. Paddle into a 3ft wave that is already doubling and tripling up. Push off the rails and the lip is already over my head now seemingly twice as big as it was when it was coming in. Sometimes I get to my feet and sometimes I don't.

The board doesn't have a pearling problem, in my opinion. But if you're really pushing it, I think you'll notice the absence of the nose.

I tried the V4. It's a good short board but not as rad as the VG.

Comment

Will the VG paddle as well or better than the Hellfire. I've talked to two guys who own the board. One guy thinks it paddles better and the other said it only paddles as well as the Bourez model.
                I'm going to up the volume of my Hellfire 6'2 by 2 liters but I will lose four inches on the length and one inch on the width by getting the 5'10 VG. 52 years young and 175.
                Thoughts?

Comment

• core personal training
                  Editing a comment
                  at just under 90k atm, the 506 paddles similar to the 510 hf, maybe a little more glide, and a little better than the 602 thin MB... put the dimensions out of your mind... they are not relevant to anything you know from normal boards... DONT go up in volume unless your hf is too small.. if you like the hf then drop volume if anything... the vg is meant to be ridden small... so is the hf for that matter.. at up to 90kg+ 6ft and only a few years behind you (with a 60yo lower back.!), i ride the 510 hf, the 506 vg and a slightly thicker 602 flexy... the MB is too much foam most days....remember, when you go up in volume, you "may" catch waves easier.. but you will give up surfing ability on the wave... most times that slight bump in volume doesn't help much with the paddling but has a large negative effect on your surfing once up and riding.... you might not want to ride as small as me, but go with the minimum you think you can... also on the paddling front, the vg paddles through choppy days better than "norm" boards as the nose pops over chop, and if it goes under, it doesnt push water.. its like paddling in smooth water when compared to a pointy nose....

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with core. I'm surfing a 5'4 now. It picks up waves much easier than the 5'6 because its more down in the waves energy I reckon, and the reduced width and thinner rails make it so much easier to move around on the wave.
                  I had to adjust my surfing a lot and it took AGES to figure out the 5'6. The 5'4 clicked from the first wave, surfs much more freely and sensitively and is working in small conditions I'd have never taken the 5'6 out in.

• Peterleo
                  Peterleo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  wow thats good, ive been moving down from a 96 longboard about a year ago, on a 6,4 futura, and a 5,10 vanguard after many inbetween sizes, am eyeing up a 6,2 hellfire, got the vanguard today, surfed it but in closeout waves, so cant give any comment, the hellfire is too easy too do great manouveres at speed, hope the same with Vg . This time next year should be down to about 6 foot on HF. im finding with smaller boards you can drift better into the right spots without too much paddling, or maybe with more surfing you know more about currents and flow with them and not paddle against them. Cant believe how much i feel like a excited child again every time i get on a
                  Firewire (At 47 years young). My improvements to the vanguard would be step down rails and double concaves like the hellfire and fst. I actually get emotional with my hellfire it gets me into such great moves and pulls them off. God invented the hellfire and passed on this knowledge to the shapers.
                  Last edited by Peterleo; 08-01-2013, 05:16 AM.

Thanks for the input guys...At the moment the two stores I might buy from are both out of VGs in my size, which means I can keep wondering about it ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X