X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VG in rapidfire? Pass!

Last week I was concerned about pearling. At least that's no longer an issue. In case you were wondering it was 4 ft Aussie, 1.5 overhead

Seems like a higher break rate than any other model. Bummers Denchy.

Comment

Is it broken or is that a 2'4" Vanguard.
      Sorry. Certainly a horrible sight. But how good has that surf been. I went with the Mini Driver instead cause there was a bit of lump in the water at the local break. Wanted to stay connected to the water, but I was wishing I had the time to get to some better spots while the swell was running just so I could ue the VG.
      Cant wait for it to come out on CBD and in FST.

Comment

Yeah Sarge, surf has been a little raw and weather wintry down here in Vic. Although no lumps on the break that claimed this victim. On the hollow side but nothing that you would expect to turn one board into 2. Cancelling the V4 order. No more rapid fire in this houshold!!

Comment

Wow that othing broke clean

Comment

In my opinion they should use S glass on RF boards rather than E glass. Sure, it would add a little stiffness. Would the majority of people feel the difference? Probably not. Would they notice the improved durability? Definitely. RF feels like a stiffer, immediate response to me anyway, so S glass could add to that.

Comment

Ah mate that sucks. The rapid fire construction is what's putting me off getting a VG. Saying that I managed to ding the rail of my new minidriver I hate damaged boards I wish they stayed new all the time.

Comment

Yes, same thing happened to my new 6'2" VG on Friday , 4 ft clean off shore conditions. Nothing unusual ,straightened out turned into the foam and jumped over the back of the wave. Came up found board folded in half, creased through the bottom. One month old had 12 surfs on it. Pretty gutted first board I have snapped in 35 yrs and one of the best boards I have owned in 15 yrs. I have a Hellfire in FST and it is bullet proof, very disappointed with rapid fire tech. Will think twice about buying another VG until they come out FST.

Comment

Only time will tell if timber tech is better than Rf but if it is a tt vanguard would be amazing.

Comment

Hey Gecko, feel your pain. Mine a 6'2" also. Been surfing for nearly 40 years, out in anything up to 4 times overhead and have never broken or creased a board. Mine only 3 months old. Expensive hobby at times. The 6'2" are fairly thick ( can measure exactly now!) but snapped like a twig. Nice wave but hey we are not talking full on power

Comment

my 5'10 died way back. FST is the best. dont understand plenty of new models in FST (CC, V2Rocket, UNI), but no TOMO?

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't think it's possible to bend the H80 bottom skin into those tight contours on the bottom. It took quite a while to get the Sweet Potato in FST for that reason, and the Tomo bottom contours are much tighter than the SP.
                        Mark mentioned they had a way in mind but maybe they weren't happy enough with the results or possibly they are still fine tuning it to make sure it's as good as it can be and they'll be available next year???

Chris, Can you comment on RF durability vs FST? I have a v4 on order and after reading about all the snapped boards in RF, I'm seriously considering canceling my order.

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        DM, FST is more durable, no doubt. The fact that there's a solid layer within the glass all over (balsa rails and high density skins top and bottom) makes it very strong and very resilient to dings and having equal strength on the deck and bottom makes a board much harder to snap IMO.. My 17 month old CBD Taj still is immaculate on the rails and bottom and has never been dinged.
                        Rapidfire on the other hand only has a high density skin on the deck, the rails and bottom are just epoxy, 4oz E glass over EPS foam. The foam gives when knocked making them more likely to ding, like a conventional board.

They are glassed super light to be lightweight and lively and to maximise the flex characteristics of the construction. A PU/PE board glassed the same way would not last long at all.

It could be a good idea for the guys to open up a slightly more open approach for custom orders where people can lay down a deposit and order a board with a few different glass schedule options if for example they are willing to compromise a little of the board's flex and light weight performance in order to have something super strong. Standard lam, double 4oz E, 4ozE+4ozS or single 4ozS even.
                        I guess that gets confusing for production, but food for thought...

i really liked my VG while i had it and wud by another as i see STABL got an order in, but as for custom ordering, i'd rather wait for a 6'2 AD

@Phill, i understand that the TOMOs have a ways to go before FST, i just wish it was done by now. i buy a board about every 2 mos just to ride different styles, but the VG, ADD, and BP were staples in my quiver for most of this past year.

Comment

FST all the way, feels better, more durable... Going from my rapidfire spitfire to my chubby chedda i just couldnt believe it...

Comment

yeah i'll wait for FST or TT, i was going to buy, but i'm not a fan of the rapid fire construction.

Comment

Working...
                          X