Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will do NN66. Loved the vanguard and apart from the obvious issue, the only concern was nosing it on some slab like takeoffs. If it turns something similar will be all good.

Comment

she's in drydock.......

Comment

Originally posted by nn66 View Post
        Denchy let us know how it goes I have been tempted to get a 6'6" as well, however I am trying to hold back as the Vanguard 6'2" has no issues I would just be indulging in something I really do not quite need.
        Apart from the aesthetics I'm not sure there is any gain in the V4, although without riding one you never know. I am thinking of getting some thick black pinstripe to black out the sides of the nose and create the illusion it is a bit more pointy, just for aesthetics.

Comment

I thought a very similar thing Slowman

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Get the saw out sarge. Why settle for marker!

Looks good sarge!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge View Post
            I thought a very similar thing Slowman
            That looks good, what did you use Sarge?

I found overlapping a 5'8 spitfire on my 5'8 VG in board compare gives me the perfect overlay!

Comment

I traced the outline of the tail of my 5'10" Dom. Then taped the rails and got to work with some Posca pens. Clear acrylic to seal. Pretty happy with the blending for a first effort.

Comment

Only ridden her on a few slabs but the VG heritage is all there. Has all the attributes you like about the VG but with refinement. You can turn with millimetre precision and with a touch more speed. Need some open faces to put her on to test it right out

Comment

Pulled the trigger on a 5'10" V4. Tried it out this morning in weak 2' surf. I was really surprised at how easy it was to catch waves. Even though the surf was small, it definately had more speed down the line than on my 6'0" Hellfire FST. It turns really easily. This is my first board in RapidFire. After reading this thread, I wasn't sure what to expect. It has the same top deck as FST but no balsa on the rails and the bottom doesn't have the special material like the top. However, it is noticeably lighter than FST. There's no doubt it won't be as durable as FST but I do think it will be much better than a PU board. I ordered it with the new FCSII fin system and got a set of the FCS II Performer fins in medium. I believe this was the first board the FW factory made with the FCS II system. I really like the new system - the fins just snap in and out. You can also use screws if you want to use your old FCS fins. The Performer fins are constructed and perform like the Nexus H3's I run on my Hellfire (which is to say really well). Can't wait for some bigger surf!.

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice board! Toledo had a board for the US Open with FCSII plugs so there's def been a few trickling out. My 503 BP too, but that's still in transit.
                    How do you rate the system? Is it rock solid? No side to side movement in the fins?

That is a sick board DM.

Comment

Phill, the fins are rock solid. No movement of any kind. I'm super stoked on them so far.

Comment

• Phill
                      Phill commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good stuff! They aren't even available over here yet...

Because of this thread I went out and bought a V4 yesterday! And I thought the VG was fast. FMD. Less volume than my VG but just not only rockets down the line it feels like being towed as you paddle into a wave. A couple of feet overhead today and the big difference between the V4 and VG I reckon is with the VG you need to be in the lip but the V4 seems to pickup on swells and lumps and flings you onto the wave.

Comment

Hey Slowman, welcome to the v4 party. Good reason they put the jet fighter sticker on the bottom. Goes like one!

Comment

Hey Denchy, thanks. The V4 Party, I like the sound of that: "we will increase education funding, build sustainable energy infra-structure, and ensure every surfer has a V4!" Well at least that's probably Tomo's dream. In years to come he might just be regarded up there with Simon Anderson as an innovator. Just had some pretty good clean overhead waves on it this morning. Wow it flies all right.

Comment

Yeah finally got some 1.5+ overhead clean waves on the weekend myself and tested her right out. Still got all the turns from the VG, those sensational roundhouse cutties. Can't fault it, it's the full package

Comment

Working...
                          X