Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We finally had a decent swell here in San Diego this weekend. I agree with Denchy, the jet fighter on the bottom of the V4 is very appropriate - this thing flies! I'm still getting used to the speed compared to my Hellfire. I'm really impressed with the precision of the turns on this board and how easy it is to catch waves. I like how light the RapidFire is compared to FST. I know it's not as strong but it's so easy to turn. This board seems like a great all-arounder.

Comment

Had Tuesday off. Double overhead sets. Three surfs in one day. Had 2 of the best surfs I've ever had, so easy to make sections. Alas though 4 days old and I managed to crease my V4 - though not too bad. When I took it to the local board maker that repairs FWs he pointed out a 2nd little one to me, he said it didn't require anything but the one just above the fins will need fixing. The glass had cracked and would let eventually leak. They did a great (invisible) repair on my HZ when I landed on a rock and put a hole in the bottom, so it should be fine.

The are two situations which I can remember that might have done it. Once paddling out copping a few sets on the head and after a duck dive the board was ripped out of my hands and the next set the lip landed on the board I remember hearing a distinct whack and the other when I flew off the lip into mid air as the thing sucked out. I just let myself dive off as I nose dived to avoid landing on it in the flats. It was hard to be too bummed because I had such good surfs but then a crease after just 4 days is kind of sad :(

The V4 is so good I am probably going to go to a local guy that already makes MPHs and get him to make one as close as possible out of an innegra composite, it will last forever and I can also use it as a riot shield!

Comment

Hey Slowman WTF! Some think that rapidfire is stronger than pu boards but I think they trying to convince themselves. If they could see the cross section of one they would change their Mind. On a pu board or FST, the only thing you worry about is if your leggie is going to hold. Sad that whereas I would once take one board in the car for a surf knowing the conditions, it is now 2 boards in case the rapidfire multiplies into 2. No coincidence that no one connected with FireWire has chimed into this thread. Keep me informed on your alternative construction as I might be keen to go down that path. Probably need to private message that result in case the plug gets pulled. You could try JD? I could drop mine in if he needed to see one and scale your dimensions. How long will she be in dry dock?

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          My take is, pound for pound RF is stronger than PU. If a PU board was built to the same weight as an RF board it wouldn't last long at all.
          A heavier glassed PU board is gonna be stronger though, but less responsive.
          I don't think it would hurt to use an extra layer of S glass on RF boards personally.

• Slowman
          Slowman commented
          Editing a comment
          I should get it back sometime next week. Patto (PCC: Surfboards) had a little party and retro board display yesterday and said to stick my head in but it wasn't ready but some of the boards on display certainly brought back memories as did some of the old faces. JD's exactly who I had in mind and thanks for the offer.
          Last edited by Slowman; 09-22-2013, 04:44 AM.

Hi Phil Agree with you on all the principle facts etc. Certainly the board is light and responsible, it's what partially makes it so appealing. But compare it to a car. They make a car that handles superbly but may fall apart if you hit a pothole the wrong way. You don't know when the lip will hit your board at the wrong angle and snap it. You can buy a car that's a bit more engineered but a little less performance orientated. Hopefully they are marketed that way and the discerning customer can buy accordingly. However, rapidfire is not marketed in the way that alerts customers to the fact that if you ride your surfboard in anything overhead it may divide. I agree with you it needs another layer, or something. Some of us can throw some bucks away on the board that snaps after a month or two but there are plenty that scrimp and save to buy that shiny new board down the surf shop that may not be fit for purpose. The pu boards weigh that much because they have to be to survive a double overhead lip. Rapidfire weighs less but may not survive. Add some weight and add some durability. Sorry, I have a bee in my bonnett(Aussie slang!)about it. In other words I feel passionate about it!!

Comment

I personally thing RF is better than FST is due to the deck on the 3 FST boards have compressed quickly in front foot area and has resulted in bubbling on 2 boards, I did have the same thing happen on the 3rd board however I sold it before it got too deep. As to RF I have had 2 x SP, 1 x BP, 1 x HF and now the Vanguard all have been unreal they compress a little and then that's it you only get little shatters on the rail. I guess my situation is why my RF's have not broken is all my boards have been around 3" thick.
          Hey slowman PCC makes a nice board as a matter of fact a mate of mine from down your way rides Firewire and he had PCC do a similar board to a BP however it was not even close in performance, still not a bad board though.

Comment

Just take a camera with you so you can take a shot of the experession on JD's face when you hand him your Firewire and ask him to make one.

Comment

• Slowman
              Slowman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah it's usually a hard call to tell a shaper to just "copy" someone else's design without any interpretation. I guess I'll have to be flexible.

Especially considering the history in this particular case. JD's boards are things of beauty to be sure.

Comment

• Slowman
              Slowman commented
              Editing a comment
              yes I chatted to him on FB...he's been doing these things (double diamond tails) for a while. He's been experimenting with this sort of thing for some time

09-25-2013, 04:18 AM To whom it may concern, Firstly i just want to congratulate you guys and Tomo for creating such a unique and thoroughly enjoyable board. I am insanely in love with my VG. She rips.... On a more depressing note,i wont to bring it to your attention i am entering into a life without my VG. Love affair 1 - First VG was demoed at Aloha in Manly and after and a surf at 2-3ft foot Curly i entered Aloha in disbelief that i had snapped a demo. Spewing, nothing more than a rock n roll floater and pop. Its your worst nightmare snapping a demo. So i paid Tim for it, and not wanting to walk out bummed or to part with my blossoming love affair i purchased another on the spot. Brand new. Broke financially but rich in contentment with my VG back. Love affair 2 - Second VG - 3 months later , another one bites the dust, not snapped but creased. A bruised love affair, a speed bump in our relationship, a small break one might say. Now gentlemen and women i know as well as anyone that these boards like fine women are light weight, high performance lures to our wanting hearts and surfing libido. I am an advocate of your boards Firewire, but i must say going through 2 of these in 3 months in smallish waves, for me leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, and questions whether i will re engage that love affair with that little 5'4 hotty that breaks your heart. Unless!!!!!! - ALAS the old man can pull some strings and send me on a hot date with her twin sister, to re kindle potentially a new same kind of love affair. I have invested dollar into this relationship and need to feel some Firewire love in return.... Let me know your thoughts gentlemen and women, missing my little VG of goodness. Dax

Comment

Hey Slowman Got your V4 back? What's your thoughts on the repair?

Comment

• Slowman
              Slowman commented
              Editing a comment
              Not yet Denchy! I called Patto and he said it was ready...wrong tomo, it was a Vanguard! ARGHHH Anyway I had a look at this VG and noticed it too had little fractures and stresses on the tail like my VG - I think from the rail saver! Could also be from my foot when I've kicked it a couple of times duck diving on some bigger days. I've also noticed more stress marks and shatters on the rails...and I'm not hitting anything with it. It has bumped me a few times wiping out and duck diving and getting axed. To get a rail shatter in FST you actually have to have a collision with something hard. Impressed with the boards but not the build. RF looks great, especially the white, and the deck seems more solid but finding new stresses and shatters after every surf in decent swell is a bit disheartening.

• Slowman
              Slowman commented
              Editing a comment
              Just got it back in time for the flat spell :D

Solution to rail saver rash. Neoprene pipe insulation from hardware shop, 25mm size. Cut to 75-100mm long and slide over. Fasten to rope loop with cable tie. Second tie may be needed later if split in rubber occurs. Would also be effective on the timber texs to preserve hot coat

Comment

• Slowman
              Slowman commented
              Editing a comment
              Denchy, looks like that will help cushion things a bit, thanks for the idea. That string looks too long...with the O&E leggies the railsaver string is meant to be doubled back into the railsaver and velcroed up.
              Last edited by Slowman; 10-02-2013, 11:33 PM.

• justo
              justo commented
              Editing a comment
              thats the problem with swallow tails. the leggy always gets pulled down on the same section of the tail no matter how you wipe out.

Good idea on cushioning it further though!

Originally posted by Denchy View Post
            Hey Slowman Got your V4 back? What's your thoughts on the repair?
            Patto does a great repair job - almost invisible. Not sure exactly who did it, I think it might have been Dennis Wright - he definitely sanded it.

Have surfed it in fat full waves since, and it really doesn't come alive. Though last pulse last Saturday had it starting to fire. Still holding together well.
            Last edited by Slowman; 10-10-2013, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Hi folks,
              I haven't had the trauma of snapping my 5'4 and hope it doesn't, but I have put dents on the bottom along the rails just from holding it during duckdives!!!! seriously I ain't that strong....had it for about 3 months and have the usual deck compression, but I've never dented a board with my fingers before, its like an extra concave along the rails for about 6 inches where I hold it when I duck.
              FST soon please.

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I did the same to mine. I really think RF boards either need at least a 4+4x4+4 glass job. S-Glass would be even better.

• powman
                powman commented
                Editing a comment
                FST Vanguard + V4 end Nov....that's straight from the boys themselves.

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                That's good news. Still need the custom option to dial in the size for myself though. Stock sizes don't work for me.
                Hopefully that happens because I'd love one in FST.
            Working...
            X