X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How small is to small?

How small do you guys think that you can the VG in (concerning waves) would it be 2-4, 3-6, 5-8, 7+?(measure in feet)
    Thanks,
    55th Street Surf Crew, OCNJ

I think it depends on the "punchy-ness" of the wave. I've surfed mine in 2ft, punchy, sand bar surf, and it was fun. I've also surfed it in chest high, high tide, soft reef, and it bogged. It likes a steep wave.

Comment

The VG is a high performance short board. That being said, you wouldn't take your hps into small, mushy surf, so neither would you want to do that with the VG. The VG performs well in bigger waves. I'd say the ideal range for that board is 5 - 8ft + and like csarqui said, if you're at a punchy, fast, and steep small wave, the VG could work for you too.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

ive had it going nuts and fairly vertical in knee high well shaped waves... it planes quite well across mush too...

Comment

I don't want to hijack this thread, but figured it would maybe be relevant with helping someone else scale theirs

Anyways, thinking of getting one, but want to dial in the size, especially because firewires are a fair bit more pricey than my customs.

I am 5'8 165 surfer, and like sensitive equipment in the 25-26 liter range. my HPSB is 5'10 x 18 5/8 x 2 1/4 at 25.5 liters

Tomo's website states you can actually drop a liter or two off your normal volume which puts me close to range of the 5'2, the 5'4 looks nice but big so it would seem the 5'3 vanguard would be perfect but it looks way thicker and remarkably close in volume to the 5'4, what's up with that?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            At your weight you'd be perfect for the 5'4 in my opinion, but it sounds like you prefer super low volumes (less than most pro surfers) so maybe try the smaller size if the 5'4 feels big.
            The in between sizes are just a way of dropping an inch and a little width without dropping.

Personally I think the 5'2 will be way small, but if you're sure the 5'4 is too big maybe look at getting a custom from Tomo?

Hopefully the Vanguard will be in the CBD soon because currently the stock sizes have some big gaps!

• Sarge
            Sarge commented
            Editing a comment
            So - your normal board is 5'10"x18'5/8"x2'1/4". 25.5 litres. The VG you are looking at takes off a meagre 6 - 7 inches in length, and loses between 1/2 & tiny 7/8 inch in width. The increase in thickness is a massive 1/16th. Are there any shapers out there who adjust dims by 1/32.
            You gain 0.2 litres - less than 1%.
            Got to say I'm not sure if there is anything up with that. You are one of the lucky ones who can choose between two perfectly sized / volumes VGs. Go get one! The they're heaps of fun.

• shredhead
            shredhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you know if the existing CBD models use FST or Rapid Fire? I'm just wondering if CBD is fixed or if it's compatible across technologies.

Sarge, I think in Japan it's quite common for requests in 1/32" increments. I'm not sure anyone could see or feel that difference though haha

Comment

• Sarge
            Sarge commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. Those guys have got everything!
            But if they want to change the thickness on a Firewire they will have to go with 2/32" increments. Ha Ha! Globalisation is such a leveller. Sometimes.

You can choose shredhead

Comment

• shredhead
            shredhead commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes me feel better, I'd really like to see this model in CBD too.

Is the FST material flexible enough to create the deep Tomo channels?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that's where the problem lies. I don't think it is.
            Mark said they had a method in mind to achieve it, but I guess they weren't satisfied with the end result.
            I'm sure the R&D team will figure it out eventually. Fingers crossed.
        Working...
        X