X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Decide Size

I'm about 5'4" and I weigh about 110-115. If I was going to get the vanguard, what size should i get?

How's your surfing?

Comment

About intermediate

Comment

4'10 is a good shout.

How old are you? If you're still growing, sizing up probably isn't a bad idea unless you're happy to buy another when necessary.
        Last edited by Phill; 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Either 5'2" or 5'4"?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            I wouldn't go anywhere near that big. 5'0 max. They ride like MUCH bigger boards and need less volume to work because of how efficiently they move through the water.

Are you positive because i dont want to spend 700 dollars on a board that has no floatation.

Comment

Im also still growing

Comment

Try and demo one. I am 165lbs and ride a 5'4. It's hard to gauge accurately without more info. What kind of waves are you surfing, water temps, riding style. Also what boards are you riding currently?

The Vanguard catches waves very easily because of it's efficiency through the water. That also means it gets up planing quickly and FLYS across the face. The narrow width makes it very responsive rail to rail and the short length makes it easy to swing around and position anywhere on the wave. but the width in the nose and tail keeps it nice and stable despite being the best part of an inch narrower than your normal performance shortboard.
              If you go too big then these design elements start to work against you. You end up with excess length increasing the turning radius, making the board harder to swing around and fit into critical parts of the wave, excess width slowing down the rail to rail transitions and making it surf more like a hybrid than a HSPB. I personally feel like sizing is more critical with this design than it is with standard shapes and small difference in dimensions makes a big difference to the way it performs. I hope it makes it into the CBD real soon.

Comment

I live near ocean city, md. The waves are mushy and powerful. 1-4 foot waves. I dont know where i could demo one

Comment

Working...
              X