Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because theres no 27 liters range, Vanguard no 27 liters too, please re-think your strategy Firewire and add that range to the TOMO models please, theres no options for a 160-170 lbs guy on both models !!!
    Cheers

Comment

I am 166lbs and ride a 503 VG and that's perfect for me.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• Matt_s
        Matt_s commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh, how tall are you? im around the same weight but wondering if we are similar in height (trying to work out if the 5'3 is a good fit height wise)
        thanks

• Josh BL
        Josh BL commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm 6 ft., 165 lbs

- Firewire Intern Josh

• emmohl
        emmohl commented
        Editing a comment
        Trying to size a VG. I'm 6'3x175-80 int/adv 33yo, surf East coast 90% of time. My go to stick at the moment is a custom 6'2 DFR around 29L. Thinking a 5'6? Suppossed to ride around chin height? the 5'7 and 5'8 jump to 32L which is 2L more then my grovel stick. Thanks for the help.

i have a 7 ltr spread between my HPSB + groveller, i barely notice a difference of 1 ltr.......is 1 ltr really a deal breaker for you ?
      these things are meant to be ridden a little lower in volume, surely a 5'8 V4 @ 25.8 ltrs or 5'3/5'4 Vanguard @ 25.9 would be spot on for you ?

Comment

There's a 3L gap between sizes. That is massive. I've gone thru a long list of Firewire's to dial in my volume. Yes, 1.5L is a big deal when it comes to satisfaction in a board.

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah same. I've surfed the 5'6 and know it's too big, and dropping below 26l just isn't going to work for me, especially in 5mm & boots hoods gloves etc.
          If I was somewhere warm with punchy waves all the time it would probably work. 2.25" is too thin for me in the real world.

• powman
          powman commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah i understand, the more i think about it, the more i realise as you get better you notice these things much more.
          i'm obviously just a crappy surfer, because i don't. :)

When you get a board dialed in, you don't have to think about the board under your feet, it's just an extension of you. You don't have to steer the board or wrestle with it, you just eyeball section of the wave that you want to go after and it happens. When the board is too big, it feels clumsy, when it's too small it gets bogged down. For me (175lbs), the 5'5 has lost just a little bit of the Vanguard magic because it's so thick. It's still the best high performance board that I can find, but I know that I could get just a little more out of it if it was a little thinner.

Comment

Cheers josh. Interesting about what you say regarding thickness to length bing closer to how tomo intended. I suppose I imagine my ideal vol to be closer to 27ltr but maybe I can go a litre Lower with this board. In the last couple years iv been riding a 5'9 ef a 5'6 dm a 5'2 and 5'3 BP, I tried the 5'6 vg and the effective edge felt ridiculously long and probably too thick in the rails hence looking at 5'4/3 or maybe a custom some day. Anyway thanks for your input, it helps. Would you tweak it a little to make it slightly bigger in some way if custom was avaliable or would you still stick with the 503 as it is? Cheers

Comment

• Josh BL
            Josh BL commented
            Editing a comment
            Honestly I really like the 503 how it is. I thought it would be too short, but the dims on it work really well for me. I tried the 506 as well and I would always dig my rails too hard or bury the nose, but I don't get any of that with the 503. That being said, it is short, so it requires you to be precise on your pop-up, making sure your back foot truly lands as far back as possible on that tail.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Originally posted by Matt_s View Post
          thanks, yeh it might do the job then, still think its ashame there is nothing in the 27 ltr range, id jump on it without hesitation, im a little worried about it being tiring to paddle, its just the 5'6 was almost definitely too big regardless.

How about your v4, how do you think it would have compared against the 5'5 VG

cheers
          So about sizes and constructions.
          I am 163lb and 173cm.I used to ride a 28l thruster . its true that the first time I paddled the Vg it felt bulky but now I cant be more stoked.
          I say it paddles like a longboard but it rides like a High performance board.I have ridden 6ft/7ft waves and the rails just hold perfect.
          I dont see my self going down to a 54 honestly.I might ride it probably but I would loose that confidence to paddle bigger waves..it actually paddles better than(rest in peace since yesterday..:-( ) my 68.
          I am not a pro obviously buy I would put my self in that intermediate to upper level,and definately higher with the VG under my feet.

And now the construction..Yesterday I bale on a double overhead set wave and it snap my 5 year old 68 in two.I came in and grab the 56 VG just to get in the same situation again..and bailing again on a bigger wave,or at least steeper lip.I really feared for the board but nothing happened .

On the other side I have now three minor dings.One of them is not that small now since I found it after a surf and the water inside is just destructive.I was afraid it was going to put a big hole in the rail cuz there were a lot of white little balls coming out wet.
          The thing is that I am not the ultra caring kind of guy but I have now there dings I dont know when happened.
          For me the construction is not the best attribute of this boards.

And since the VG goes insane already I am really thinking in cancelling my V4 order to wait for the same one in FST.

regards
          Last edited by Surfnomada; 10-27-2013, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Cheers again josh. Seems like a 5'4/5'3 would probably work for me, would probably still feel better laying out the money on a custom to get it up to around 26/27 ltrs any ideas if/when they might be avaliable as customs ? Cheers

Comment

• Josh BL
              Josh BL commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Matt_s. Unfortunately, right now there isn't a timeframe for the Vanguard CBD yet.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Is there any chance that the Vanguard will be offered in TimberTek anytime soon? Looking to buy a new board and that would significantly sway me

Comment

The VG in TT is still a long term goal right now, so nothing to report. But keep your eyes peeled for other exciting announcements for 2014.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Thanks for answering questions so quickly Josh.

Comment

Hey Josh are there many new models coming out next year? Wondering if I should hold off on buying any boards for another month or so?

Comment

• Josh BL
                    Josh BL commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes there will be a few, but Firewire is not quite ready to announce the new models as the time table for them is still in the works. Whether or not you should hold off is tricky because it's kind of like buying new car...there will always be a newer "better" model every year. However, you will not be disappointed with whichever board you choose because currently there are a lot of really good models. If you want to capitalize on a board sooner rather than later, then you'll be stoked. If you can wait, then you'll know all of your options and still be stoked. It's really a win win situation.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Thanks for the replies Josh !

Comment

Glad to help! And thank you csarqui, Matt_s, and all the other active forum contributors for your valuable input as well.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

In the December 2013 issue of Surfer Mag on pg. 116 there is a Vanguard ad that says it's now available in FST, but nothing about it on this website. Any info on this??

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Soooon.......
                    Working...
                    X