Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can start special ordering now, but it'll be a few weeks before they show up at retail. You can also look for an inventory push towards the first of the year.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Wow! Can you special order a TimberTek as well? Or just FST? Either way, very cool!

Comment

• Josh BL
        Josh BL commented
        Editing a comment
        Just FST. There are currently no plans to construct the VG or V4 in TT because the bottom contours are very difficult to manufacture well. So I would not hold out for a TT construction of those models if that's what you were thinking.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Morning All, we don’t normally use the forum to post links to our site directly... However, on this occasion we have just got a couple of FST Vanguards and FST V4’s in stock.

We try to take quite a few good quality images of each board so you should be able to get a good feel for them.

I was lucky enough to grab a 5ft 6 FST Vanguard for myself, and it is the most exciting board I think I have ever had!!!

I am absolutely blown away by how easy the Vanguard is to surf from a recreational surfers point of view. Look I am no ripper (early 40’s been surfing 20+ years but with an arthritic hip, and like everyone else on the forum a shagged lower back). Having said that, I feel 20 again on the Vanguard. Catches waves just as easily as my Dominator, whilst allowing performance over and above the Unibrow and Hellfire. I cannot work out how all this can be possible just from one board, bit from my point of view it is. I did manage to spank my current RF Vanguard, collision that would have damaged any board, thus the new FST.

Gutted in a way because the constant search for the perfect board could be over. Get to try loads of new models from Firewire along with CI, Lost etc.

Having said that the V4 looks interesting, and I know what is coming from Firewire next year. So I may have to keep going for research purposes only!!! Firewire looks the absolute bollocks for next year by the way, just totally amazing stuff, unbelievable, incredible.....YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Hope you don’t mind the links.

Like I say we try not to use the forum for commercial purposes, so please let me know if you have think I have crossed the line and links will be removed.

Cheers

http://www.boardshop.co.uk/firewire-...e/fv4-510v-03/

http://www.boardshop.co.uk/firewire-...e/fvg-510v-03/

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        They look really impressive in FST. They definitely nailed getting tricky details in that construction.

Now all we need is a custom option for those of us who the stock sizes simply don't work for.

• pmorgan
        pmorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a look at the links and wow. I hope you guys will get a 504 in asap as it will surely make its way inth the Thurso lineup.
        Ps loving my new Rockup from you guys great service.

• chubbs
        chubbs commented
        Editing a comment
        When will the 6"2 be available?

Thanks for the heads-up Josh. The FST boards look awesome!

Comment

Yeah 5'6 should be perfect for you.

Comment

Anyone else see the FST Vanguards showing up in stores yet?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a couple of early appearances in the uk

• Coastandtoast
            Coastandtoast commented
            Editing a comment
            Surfride in San Diego got 3 of them in.

Not a VG but my 5'10 FST V4 arrived today……getting surfed tomorrow

Comment

• Sarge
            Sarge commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good. What are the dims on your 5''10" fst? Are they the same as rf version?
            Can't wait to hear how it rides.

• Fazza
            Fazza commented
            Editing a comment
            Dimensions same as RF version 5'10 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8

Will post how it goes after tomorrow's surf

• Fazza
            Fazza commented
            Editing a comment
            Surfed the V4 this morning for about 4 hours. It was pretty small waves mostly just below shoulder to shoulder high with the odd bigger one. I started off with some medium Quads Shapers AP02 and found the board a bit stiff so went in and changed over to Shapers AP01 Small Quads and that was a lot better.

The board seems to have a lot of drive and hold when needed and if you get your weight right it turns really nicely. Wasn't able to do many turns as it was low tide and was more of a get up and go down the line kind of day. The odd few i got that were over head the board felt really nice, smooth and bloody fast, paddles pretty well into small waves probably would have been better on my 5'3 BP or my 5'5 VG but that hasn't arrived yet. The wind turned onshore towards the end of the session and got a few lumpy ones and the board seemed to handle it ok.

First impressions is good but i do need to spend a bit more time adjusting to it…….surfing again on Saturday and hopefully a bit more swell

I live in the UK and was going to buy a V4 tomorrow, I have just seen this post about the FST, I am not really sure about the pros and cons of FST or RF and not really sure what is mean other than is different construction techniques, is the RF not as strong? Would it be worth holding on for the FST as they seem to be about to come into production?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Boardshop have a couple in FST. FST is a superior construction IMO.

Vanguards in FST are now in Australia, my local shop has a couple, look real nice.

Comment

Just replaced my Rapidfire Vanguard with an FST this weekend, ordered a V4 so hopefully they will be hitting the States soon enough!

Comment

has anyone
              A-received their vanguard in their wanted size
              and
              B- ridden it enough, to provide some feed back ?

keen to buy a 5'7 but i'm not wanting to waste $925 dollars.

ps - here's curren ripping on a tomo - vanguard style board in mexico - http://www.surfermag.com/videos/tom-curren-mexico/
              Last edited by vortextheory; 01-15-2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Looks like the first wave of V4 FSTs and a bigger wave of Vanguard FST's are hitting retail in socal now. Got my hands on a V4 yesterday, and took it for the maiden voyage this morning. Going to wait until after a few surfs to form full impressions.
                vortextheory: I have had the Vanguard for a while now, first in RF now in FST. It is by far my favorite board in most conditions. If you are going to get one board to see what the straight railed, small form factor, planing-hull feeling is all about, the Vanguard is the one. One good pump and the board is flying, with the kind of glide that you would expect from a keel fish after dialing up the speed. It comes with 5 fin boxes, but I have never felt the need to run it as a quad, it has enough built in speed on its own. I have also had a Nano that Daniel shaped for me, and while it did have some built in speed, I feel like the Vanguard was an even bigger refinement of his planing hull ideas, and was a revelation after the first surf (even after owning a Nano).
                As for negatives: The Vanguard definitely has a top end. Larger or more pitching waves are a little challenging on it. I dont know if this is due to the rocker, the wider tail, the small size of the board, or whether it is simply psychological (me expecting there to be more nose in front of my while looking over a pitching lip). This is where I am hoping that the V4 will take over. Hopefully a little more rocker, a little less area in the tail, and yes a nose will help out in those situations.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaracen View Post
                  ... As for negatives: The Vanguard definitely has a top end. Larger or more pitching waves are a little challenging on it. I dont know if this is due to the rocker, the wider tail, the small size of the board, or whether it is simply psychological (me expecting there to be more nose in front of my while looking over a pitching lip). This is where I am hoping that the V4 will take over. Hopefully a little more rocker, a little less area in the tail, and yes a nose will help out in those situations.
                  I've had my 5'4" RF Vanguard for about a month and the biggest waves I've had so far were at a barreling, 2'+ OH beach break. Once I got into the wave, the VG felt great. The one negative I saw was that I didn't have enough paddle power to chase down the shifty peaks and fight the rip. The other possible negative is all the stories of RF Vanguards getting creased or broken. Every time I didn't make a wave, I'd pop up and breathe a sigh of relief when I saw the VG was still in one piece. So now I'm interested in the 5'10" V4 for more paddle power and get it in FST, LFT or XTR and hopefully have it stay durable on those bigger days. I plan on taking that future V4 to G-Land in August, along with some bigger boards. I'd prefer to get the Tomo handshape in XTR, but if Tomo is slow to reply to my emails or it's too long of a wait, then I'll go the Firewire route.

Comment

You might want to just pull the trigger on an FST. Daniel was a very busy guy before the Firewire deal. I can only imagine how many guys are knocking on his door for a custom now. It is one of the reasons I'm stoked on this collaboration. The ability to walk into a store and pick up a durable FST Tomo is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X