X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which size VG? Which waves range?

5'11, 215Lbs or 97 kgs, 40 yo Intermediate/advanced (roller, floater, cutback, but not ripping yet)

surf bad beachbreaks at home ( SW FRANCE) in cold water, perfect pointbreaks in warm water when travelling...(peru, south africa, indo)

So hesitating between 6'0 and 6'2...unless it s 5'10 ?
    Volume calculator puts me between 40 and 44 L...

Is it a knee high to overhead waves range board?

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks a lot

Thierry

A bit better than knee high for sure.you got to ride those boards a tidebitshorter than usual soI would go 6'0"

Comment

• thierry
      thierry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Iggy,

waist high to ... overhead, well overhead...you wouldn t take this out at Gland right? or pipe?

Fokahi will be able to answer that but the good guys are taking these toys anywhere

Comment

The VG works best in waves that have power. Ideally, that board is perfect for the head high and head high+ days. But if you're surfing a steep fast beach break that's 3-4ft., it'll still shred. I have yet to take it out on a double overhead day (as waves have been small around here lately), but I hear it gets more fun the bigger it gets (to a certain extent). Long story short, I would put the range for the VG at 5ft-10ft+.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• thierry
        thierry commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks guys !
        Will try to contact Fokahi ;)

V4 could be a good pick if you're looking at using it in solid waves. I've surfed my 5'4 Vanguard in everything since I got it. Waist high to just overhead and no problems in anything apart from complete wind torn junk that no board would have made anything of.
      That said, if the waves were double overhead and powerful I can imagine the V4's extended length, pulled in nose and extra entry rocker being a great asset.

Comment

• Slowman
        Slowman commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd have to agree there. I've had mine out in almost double overhead and to my surprise it still held in beautifully and yet was still loose. It does take a while to master the take off on steeper stuff but after you're going it's unreal, loose fast and holds. I have to disagree about Josh's low end, I've had mine go well in 1-2' too. At times better than the spitfire.

Stiff offshores catch under the nose a bit too - I think it is both the width and the channel which is designed to use the air to keep it from nosediving.

Thanks Guys, thev

Comment

the vanguard seems good
        will get it in 6'0, being 220 lbs, heard the tail is hard to deal with with this volume...any feedback? thanks...

Comment

I have personally not ridden the 6'0 VG, but the key with that board is just that you scoot your back foot to the very end of the board (you want to put your traction pad as far back as possible). The foot placement on the tail is just something to get used to in whatever volume you ride it.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Foot waaaaay back

Comment

My two current boards (Unibrow and DA) are around the 28/29L volume mark. That would mean a 5'5" Vanguard is most similar in terms of volume. Is this the right way to size a Vanguard, or should I be going smaller?

Comment

huge dropoff from 5'5 volume wise

Comment

• Goodfish
                  Goodfish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, kdropin. I think I'm going for a 5'5 Vader if it's a similar volume to the VG.
              Working...
              X