Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard Finally here..!

Hi guys,
    After months reading this forum and waiting my vanguard finally arrived.
    I have surfed it this morning in a perfect right pointbreak around double overhead in the sets.
    First impression when I paddled it was how much flotation it has.It even cross my mind that I should have purchased the 5,4.First wave I paddle into i was amazed on how early it stars the planning.It starts so fast that in some waves I stopped paddling to early and lost the wave.
    After all its been a good thing to read the forum because I already knew the back foot must be all the way back on the tail .Actually I have struggle with this since I am used to step up and place the back foot a little bit forwarded to speed up but not with the vanguard man..not at all.Place it on the spot and it flies.
    Also I have bogged it a couple of times on a cutback for the same reason.
    Overall I like it,think I need some more surf and a more powerful wave to fully enjoy it.
    Tomorrow more swell ;-)

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew..! you can ride with the back foot forward... in bowly waves that lets you do full rail power carves/cuttys off both legs... you can still pull it around by weighting forward and releasing fins into semi reverses into the rebound... sooooooo much fun... the whole board is surfable... you'll love it more and more every session..!!

Comment

Yep I've also found I can weight and step forward with great effect...at first it seems better to ride back foot right back but this board as you surf it more seems to open up more options.

Comment

Glad to hear your stoked on the VG Surfnomada!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Ok, now I have had more opportunities to try the board.
          Second surf was in smallish shitty surf(1) , nothing really important apart from the easy paddle.
          The next surfs have been in excellent conditions,6 ft surf power rights.Apart from the
          Good things:
          -can you believe I am surfing a fu..ing 56 in double overhead surf...crazy
          -there is no possibility of pearling this thing..!I have done the craziest take offs and it just won't dive in..I almots feel like it is wrong or cheating..The first to times I dove before thinking the board was going to pearl and it didn't .My friend then told ,man just believe in the fun..ing board and voila..!
          -the speed is unreal, I have to get used to it cuz I dont believe I am going to make it and then I make the section ..

Bad things(currently but expect to solve)
          -Havent been able to do a proper cutback yet..like I cant find the weight balance right.Some times I dive the edge and other times I cant seem to finish it.
          -Sometiems I feel like if I was behind the board.Like if a regular board had a lapse time between the action of my body and the resulting movement and with the VG it just happens.
          -In some take offs I misplaced the front foot and it all went wrong,not as forgiving as other boards Ive had.

I will keep posting.

Comment

To whom it may concern,
            Firstly i just want to congratulate you guys and Tomo for creating such a unique and thoroughly enjoyable board. I am insanely in love with my VG. She rips....
            On a more depressing note,i wont to bring it to your attention i am entering into a life without my VG.
            Love affair 1 - First VG was demoed at Aloha in Manly and after and a surf at 2-3ft foot Curly i entered Aloha in disbelief that i had snapped a demo. Spewing, nothing more than a rock n roll floater and pop. Its your worst nightmare snapping a demo. So i paid Tim for it, and not wanting to walk out bummed or to part with my blossoming love affair i purchased another on the spot. Brand new. Broke financially but rich in contentment with my VG back.
            Love affair 2 - Second VG - 3 months later , another one bites the dust, not snapped but creased. A bruised love affair, a speed bump in our relationship, a small break one might say.
            Now gentlemen and women i know as well as anyone that these boards like fine women are light weight, high performance lures to our wanting hearts and surfing libido. I am an advocate of your boards Firewire, but i must say going through 2 of these in 3 months in smallish waves, for me leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, and questions whether i will re engage that love affair with that little 5'4 hotty that breaks your heart.
            Unless!!!!!! - ALAS the old man can pull some strings and send me on a hot date with her twin sister, to re kindle potentially a new same kind of love affair. I have invested dollar into this relationship and need to feel some Firewire love in return.... Let me know your thoughts gentlemen and women, missing my little VG of goodness. Dax

Comment

Hi there!
              More surfs these days.Today we finally got I 6 ft swell with glassy conditions.
              Has anyone experience a lost of track riding high in very steep walls?

Comment

Hey Dax Knight Sorry to hear your plight. Yours is significantly sadder than a lot of us who have lost our beloved vgs in similar size surf. Just further evidence of a surf tech that is not fit for purpose. I hope in your case they may look after you.

Comment

hey dax, out of interest did the 2nd board crease on the bottom or the deck ?

Comment

Working...
                  X