Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions; Quad/Thruster setups

Hi,

Planning on trying the VG with my goto Quad set of MR TFX/Q-GX which has been brilliant in my Futura, SP, BP and EF.

I've an H3 tri set available as well. This was an impluse buy and one that I normally don't unless in a surf shop :)

Any one reckon it to be a good tri setup?

I'd just run your normal shortboard thruster fins. I liked my Soar DL in FCS and am using EA Blackstix in Futures. Some people seem to like the quad setup but it's not a board I'd even consider using as a quad. It's so fast anyway and has loads of grip with the contours.

Comment

I ride H3 and PC GAM. Both great fins. I would go H3 on the VG.

Comment

Sweet, many many thanks.

Comment

506 vg... ea blackstix from 1 foot to pretty scary... even huge open face chop... could use a stiffer flex in the huge stuff...trying ea and jc honeycomb when i can bring myself to waste a wave without the magic eablackstix setup... larger swept fins like large am's detract from the board... it doesn't need much fin... the board is drivey with heaps of hold and bite by itself..

fourfins are to solve a problem with traditional thruster board design .(although they nearly always add more problems than they solve).. the vg design does not need fourfins... it already feels like there is no back fin drag... and it has the holy grail in this reguard.. that is, instant acceleration and ridiculous speed down the line but still pivot and directional control of a thruster... btw, i've not found its top speed yet... i've had a couple of line ups where i was rail to railing it down very, very long sucky waves and with every driving pump it gained more speed.. i found my self washing speed off on freight trains just to stay in the fun zone.. with so little drag and so much lift, the sky's the limit..!! so no need to take the rear thruster fin out....

Comment

totally agree that this board does not need a quad set up. it is ridiculously fast just as a tri. I've been using large h3 in the front and a medium h3 in the rear.

Comment

Hmm, that opens up other possibilities as I actually bought the MR TFX tri set which should do well on that board in addition to H3s. I can def feel a diff in fin setup although some guys in board shops try to convince me other wise.

Comment

I like the VG as a thruster as well. Either the Machado sig. fin (EA blackstix are very similar) or Jordys L.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Originally posted by aurfalien View Post
                  Hi, Planning on trying the VG with my goto Quad set of MR TFX/Q-GX which has been brilliant in my Futura, SP, BP and EF. I've an H3 tri set available as well. This was an impluse buy and one that I normally don't unless in a surf shop :) Any one reckon it to be a good tri setup?
                  Yes , I have Amt futures without stabilizer, bloody flows magically without anchor fin, ie feels like a anchor with that middle fin, gets into wave heaps quicker, flows with the wave, gets into and out of barrels fine, pivoty, 360s a breeze, amazing hold. paddles better than my dominator.

Comment

Originally posted by aurfalien View Post
                    Hi, Planning on trying the VG with my goto Quad set of MR TFX/Q-GX which has been brilliant in my Futura, SP, BP and EF. I've an H3 tri set available as well. This was an impluse buy and one that I normally don't unless in a surf shop :) Any one reckon it to be a good tri setup?
                    Yes , I have Amt futures without stabilizer, bloody flows magically without anchor fin, ie feels like a anchor with that middle fin, gets into wave heaps quicker, flows with the wave, gets into and out of barrels fine, pivoty, 360s a breeze, amazing hold. paddles better than my dominator.

Comment

HI guys,
                      I am riding a 506 VG with the Parko Kineticks.I am still figuring out the board so I chose to use my everyday fins.

Comment

I would give the GAM thruster set up a nod too but my favourite is the R2 quad set up, both front and rear have IFT and makes this board incredible fast and still loose. I tried the H3 in both quad and thruster...as a thruster it doesn't have the drive I want and the tail starts sliding around a bit which I like but a lack of drive I don't like. H3 quad set up feels similar to R2 quads but not as fast.

Comment

Hi Folks, another VG convert has arrived..... thanks for all the excellent posts, its what gave me the confidence to get a 5'4 VG instead of oversizing.
                          I'm trying the Futures Elevons at the moment, sometimes feels great, sometimes a bit like riding with floaty suspension in and old Japanese hatchback. not sure if the lift of the fins is acting for or against the design of the board, any thoughts?????? (btw I've also been on the stretch quads and the favourite thruster set is the Futures Solus)

Comment

• Phill
                            Phill commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'd just run your standard thruster set, nothing too crazy. The vanguard drives off the rail so well it doesn't need that much fin.
                        Working...
                        X