X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'8" feels a little over volumed

I demoed a 5'6" vg and knew I had to have one. I bought a 5'8" because I live in FL and it's usually pretty mushy but the board feels a little over volumed. Do u think the 2" would make that much of a difference or am I being paranoid?

Oh yeah. I'm 6' 170 lbs...

Comment

From memory there is a decent volume jump in that 2 inches. I'm 187 pound, comfortably riding a 5'6, so yeah I'd say you are probably a bit over volumed with the 5'8.

Comment

Thought so... What do you think I should do? I've only ridden the board once. Just contact the shop I guess...?

Comment

A 5'8" is giant for your weight. A 5'6" is still going to feel big. I recommend trying to demo a 5'4. Also, the VG is a not a "mushy" wave board. I don't think you'll have a lot of success in that kind of surf.

Comment

• Peterleo
            Peterleo commented
            Editing a comment
            I had the same problem, I got some Amt futures and ride it as a twin fin, no rear. Problems solved, surfed it in huge surf, small gutless surf,.point breaks, barrelly stuff, these fins just flow with the wave on take off, thru sections. I have 5 , 10, board. The rear fin holds the board up on take off, wont go down the wave, flutters the front end on the wave. Does great pivoty tricks. Believe me they work. Tried f4, lost fins, etc, The AMTs by futures cured all my problems. Have not had any hollow waves yet, but have used them in gigantic surf as well.

• Peterleo
            Peterleo commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, just tried the Dave Rastovich signature quads in what I thougjt were closeouts. I had the best surf ever amazing speed , totally awesome, screaming througj sections, just incredible
            Last edited by Peterleo; 10-09-2013, 03:06 AM.

I rode the 5'6" in chest to head with a little power and it was epic by far best board I have ever ridden. I talked to the shop and they are gonna help me out. Thanks for ur input. Greatly appreciated

Comment

OK, if you buy the 5'6, then don't ever demo a 5'4 or you'll hate yourself :)

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha smaller does seem to do everything better/easier with the vanguard.
              I kind of swim into waves with mine but it gets in early and easily and gets up and planing so quick there really is no need for all the extra volume.
              Once you're on the wave the smaller board is so much more responsive and easier to maneuver it's a different world.

• Stu b
              Stu b commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha thanks for the wise words

• Stu b
              Stu b commented
              Editing a comment
              Really I'm sketched to go smaller because in FL there's not so much power and I don't want to lose paddle ability. Also usually wind chop and drifty so fighting currents would be more difficult. Am I wrong? I'm grateful for the info

09-25-2013, 04:18 AM Can someone point me in the right direction.... On being a junior member and where to posts this... Firstly i just want to congratulate you guys and Tomo for creating such a unique and thoroughly enjoyable board. I am insanely in love with my VG. She rips.... On a more depressing note,i want to bring it to your attention i am entering into a life without my VG. Love affair 1 - First VG was demoed at Aloha in Manly In Oz and after and a surf at 2-3ft foot Curly i entered Aloha in disbelief that i had snapped a demo. Spewing, nothing more than a rock n roll floater and pop. Its your worst nightmare snapping a demo. So i paid Tim for it, and not wanting to walk out bummed or to part with my blossoming love affair i purchased another on the spot. Brand new. Broke financially but rich in contentment with my VG back. Love affair 2 - Second VG - 3 months later , another one bites the dust, not snapped but creased. A bruised love affair, a speed bump in our relationship, a small break one might say. Now gentlemen and women i know as well as anyone that these boards like fine women are light weight, high performance lures to our wanting hearts and surfing libido. I am an advocate of your boards Firewire, but i must say going through 2 of these in 3 months in smallish waves, for me leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, and questions whether i will re engage that love affair with that little 5'4 hotty that breaks your heart. Unless!!!!!! - ALAS the old man can pull some strings and send me on a hot date with her twin sister, to re kindle potentially a new same kind of love affair. I have invested dollar into this relationship and need to feel some Firewire love in return.... Let me know your thoughts gentlemen and women, missing my little VG of goodness. Dax

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't pick it as the best board for fighting strong currents, wind chop and for surfing small, gutless waves. In my opinion it needs a lined waves. It can handle small stuff but it needs some shape and a little push to come alive.

Comment

Phil, yeh in the process of doing so, just wanted to try and cover all angles .. Thanks for the contact. Appreciated

Comment

Working...
              X