Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minidriver vs v4

Hi I need help
    I have a potatonato 5,6 and chubby 5,10. I'm torn between a minidriver and v4 for good wave days (1,5 o 2x overhead)to add my quiver. Does anyone has tried both? What differences are there? Does it overlap the cubby and v4?, V4 is designed for that type of waves?.would be the correct size 6,0 minidriver and 5,10 v4?
    Thanks

Hi I ride a mini as my go to for good waves but at 1.5 overhead I find I am looking for more board. You don't want to over size a mini either as the rails are quite full and this can be a disadvantage when turning a high speed. I just bought a pu lost rock up to extend to the double over range. I recon a round pin flexfire would be the go or a pure simi gun like the artillery. Think of your cc and minidriver been in the same range with better hollow wave performance in the mini.

Comment

meri not to hijack the thread but how do you like the potatonator/ chubby combo? thinking of replacing my uni with the chubby or pile driver in 3-5 ft
      how much do u weigh?
      Last edited by kdropin; 10-07-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Hi kdropin my weight is 77kg (use 3/2 and 4/3 mm wersuit only). For me it is the best possible combo for 1 -.6 feet. The potato is the best board I've ever used in my 20 years of surfing stupidly fast use quad only (strech) to chest or head or more if its mushy. Otherwise the chubby is a more conventional board but the paddle is good because entry low rocker and the most special is the rocker tail is that what is refined and high. It is a board for more push a more conventional board with the hybrid characteristic Thinking alternator but shorter, fat and fast. Love this board in backhand.
        Pmorgan what size minidriver for me 6,0 o 5,10 y v4 (5,10 I think). When i say 1.5x overhead think is this wave type. (Sorry for my english).

http://im-3.msw.ms/photoLab/fullWidth/143648.jpg

Comment

This the wave i surf here when is god. Pd Im not this guy

Comment

Ah looking at that picture I would say mini driver no probs. At 77 kgs go 510 for sure it will tair that was a new asshole. Pardon my French lol. Also if you love the cc and the PN so much I'll make life simple sell both and buy a v2 rocket. Office at the front party at the back.

Comment

This is where the mini finds it's limits,

Comment

I would go for the V4 over the MD. I like having a diverse quiver, and even though the MD is different from the CC, the V4 is much different (shape and volume-wise) than the MD. The V4 will also excel when it gets to be that size (in your picture), and when it's smaller, you can just ride your CC and throw in a larger fin. That's just my opinion.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Thanks for the replies Josh and pmorgan so now I have in my mind v4 to expand and have something different in my quiver. Ahhhh decisions . In case that Im buying the v4 finally the size would be 5,10 no?.

Comment

I have surfed both. A 6'2 MD I tried and I have a 6'0 V4. For me it's a no contest the V4 winds hands down. Nothing wrong with the MD it is a good board with good characteristics...a bit like the girl you bring home to meet the family but the V4 is the girl I really want to hang out with and have wild times!

I also have a 5'8 VG and the V4 is a progression on from it. Almost a 2 board quiver right there. VG for thigh high walls up to head high even 1.5 x overhead but nothing too steep. From head high up to 2 x overhead and anything steep the V4 takes over. Still like to keep the Spitfire around for a groveling wave or crowded full waves. Neither the VG or the V4 like fat waves much.

Comment

I weigh around 90kgs so at 77kg the 5'10 V4 should be good but check the volume calculator, so long as it is somewhere in the bottom half of the suggested volume range it should be fine.

Comment

Hi I am also looking for a new board. I am currently riding a 6'6 quadraflex but am looking for something a bit snappier and faster. I have been comparing the V4 and the V2 mayhem rocket and the mini driver. Any thoughts? I weigh 60 kg intermediate to advanced , good fitness

Comment

Depends on how high performance you're looking to go. V4 will be the most high performance, followed by the MD, followed by the V2. The MD will be a good chest to head high+ board and the V4 will be great in head high to a few feet overhead no problem. Both very fast, and snappier than your current quadraflex. The V2 is more of a small to medium wave board, so that may overlap too much with your quadraflex.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
                          X