X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampirate Surfboards

Has anyone checked out the Vampirate surfboards? I had a troll through their page and it's looks like a catalogue copy of Firewire Boards. They're got one the same as the Vanguard, Dominator, Potato etc etc...

Terrible if you ask me...

http://vampiratesurfboards.com/surfanddestroy.html

Comment

Classic! Well, competition is good for the customer and it keeps the front runners on their toes. It must be tough to compete in the surfboard industry.

Comment

Originally posted by justo View Post
        Has anyone checked out the Vampirate surfboards? I had a troll through their page and it's looks like a catalogue copy of Firewire Boards. They're got one the same as the Vanguard, Dominator, Potato etc etc...

Terrible if you ask me...
        Justo, I think that's a bit of a long bow! These are Ozzy Wright's shapes and he's been heading in these directions for a while. Besides if you were to put them side by side with the FW models I think you'd see more difference than similarity. Most established brands will have similarities because they are trying to cover the same wave ranges, so boards for a particular wave type will quite likely look a bit similar but still there will be differences too. I think most decent shapers are too proud to do an exact rip off of anyone else's design they still have to add their own refinements, which is a good thing as this leads to more development and progress. It works the same way in technology, a patent only grants your the right to that invention (or often a process of manufacture) but it is perfectly legitimate for someone else to come along and take it and add innovation to it and then be granted their own patent for the improvement. To quote Newton "If I see farther than others it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

The vampire boards look terrible and they are PU technology and cost more than FW they look like they come from the backyard, FW has the backend and technology to supply a great quality product.

Comment

Working...
          X