X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dream is over

This morning in 2ft mushy waves . Definately not what i was expecting.. I am going to the shop and see what happens.I hope there is a solution.

Back from the store.They will contact Firewire but not many hopes.
    Anyway is all to strange because it was not a big wave and I have had way worse wipeouts .
    And it has folded downwards when its supposed to be stronger .
    This had never happened to me before so I guess there is always a first time..but with a 600 euros board.
    The resolution is crap but it does not let me upload better pictures.

Regards
    Last edited by Surfnomada; 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM.

All too common with the vanguards. Hopefully the FST variant will be better.

Comment

Such a bummer! I hope this doesn't happen to mine. What size was it Surfnomada? I'm wondering if the thicker sizes fair any better.

Comment

Dude, I feel your pain. The same thing happened to my Vanguard landing a floater in the shore break. I did get mine repaired. It wasn't a cheap fix but it's holding up although, looking somewhat worse for wear

Comment

Could it be something to do with the ultra parallel rails? Boards with a real parabolic rails seem to be a bit more durable. And the amount of van guards that are self destructing is beyond a joke.

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Lightly glassed with a lot of area in the nose to take an impact I guess.

Its a 56 ..

Comment

My JK snapped like that too; downwards (and it was FST!) in 2' weaker waves, I did a reo off the lip and the lip came down over the nose. It didn't hit it hard it just wrapped over the board. I think the board was trapped inside the wave and then when the wave bent it just snapped. I creased my V4 after just 4 days though not too badly it's holding up well after the repair.

It seems like there is too much snappage for the VG/V4 models, is it because they promote more progressive surfing, they're RF, or something else?

Comment

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...iledataid=1588
              oops..!!!... is was only a two footer, i swear...!!! ... in reality it was SOLID slab.. 3ft thick lip karate chopped it onto the almost dry ledge.... :( if i didnt bail like a girl it woulda been me getting pinned...!!!! .. another identical on the way... might break 1st wave or might never break... my boards cop the above treatment regularly and come up roses... try that with p/u.... BTW, fst would not help much in these situations... if you put significant stress across a narrow portion of a board it will break.. this includes gently hitting a sandbank on a 1 footer with your feet still on the board..... but a firewire in either tech will handle MANY times more pressure than ANY p/u...

Comment

I agree with Core the only Firewires I have had an issue with is FST deck front foot area delaminating so I keep away from them and ride RF, my Vangaurd a 6'2" is still like new after 8 months only cracked two boxes slightly due to hitting me. I guess another benefit for me my Vanguard is 2 7/8 thick bit harder to beak than something 2" thick lucking I am 103kgs.

Comment

I have to disagree there guys FST is stronger than Rf due to having the wooden rails and I recon a well made well glassed pu is also stronger too. Poor QA might be at fault here as it seems way too common with this board. Where I live we all surf slabs and you don't see to many pu boards been snapped. No one up here would touch Rf with a barge pole IMHO.

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah I've never really damaged a rail or bottom on an FST board. Can't say that about RF. I understand what nn66 is saying regarding heavier guys and FST decks. There's only so much flex and compression the bond between the corecell and 1lb EPS can handle and if it's getting stomped hard constantly it's going to give eventually.
                    The denser core and stiffer skin of RF would be more resistant to that kind of pressure.

I would disagree with nn66 about the thickness of the board helping the strength. My Vanguard is also a 6' 2" and it snapped while riding in small surf. The impact I made landing the floater that caused the board to fold was not very intense at all. Hopefully nn66 got a good board and is going to last him a long time. However, after witnessing the way mine destructed and seeing many other Vanguards snap the same way I believe the stringer needs to be made much stronger at the midsection of the board. My board snapped in almost the same place as shown in the pictures posted by surfnomada. This is the area where the board begins to thin in thickness from the midsection to the nose. This could be a critical junction that needs some fine tuning.

Also nn66 states his weight at 103kg. If my math is correct that makes him just over 227lbs. My weight is only 185lbs. If I'm over 40lbs lighter and managed to snap the board I would say there is a design flaw or a quality control issue that needs to be addressed.

Comment

RAPIDFIRE 5'10 v4 on the way... another vanguard to follow shortly thereafter.. riding fst today... great and leaves any p/u for dead, but rapidfire has that light fast direct strong rebound... yeeeeewwwwww

Comment

I am over qualified to join this thread. Snapped my v4 2 days ago. I now have bookend fin sections v4 at one end, vanguard the other. Not even shoulder high in the impact zone. Just shy of 40 years surfing and have only broken 2 boards.
                      Can't complain about the v4 because I knew it was faulty technology when I bought it. Anyone thinking that rapidfire is stronger than pu is delusional.

There was a board test where the surf mag Surfing Life took 20 boards to Bali where a few guys put them through their paces. Waves were not 2 big, 2-4 ft. Only one board self destructed-surprise-the vanguard. FireWire to try and avoid embarrassment laid claim to the board being rushed off the line and did not cure long enough. Going on vanguard and v4 snap rates maybe we should have laid them down in the wine cellar for 20 years. It was just bullshit to cover the faulty tech. Fst is a hard one so why not sell the toy ones to the punters to get their money to cover the R&D?
                      Thickness of these things does not make a difference. Mine were both the biggest of the models and snapped in the thickest parts. Why? Grab a saw and Cut your rapidfire in half. Instead of traditional stringers, they have carbon fibre hollow rods embedded in the foam. The theory is the rods control the flex. However when confronted with a high stress load such as a lip hitting, the boards flex excessively around the rod. The foam being low density, compresses around the rod as the pressure increases. This allows the board to flex too much and allows too much force into the glass which tears before there is sufficient resistance between the rod and the foam. It is after this point that the foam has compressed under the rod to provide enough resistance to prevent a full fold, usually. Extreme force will shatter the carbon rod and completely fold the board as it would with any board pu or fst etc
                      ..... Amen
                      Last edited by Denchy; 11-07-2013, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Wow man,Thanks for the explanation.
                        If thats the case they should be more responsible with the final clients.It a pity.I love the board and I will purchase another one in FST next year but its a pity they make us go through this.

Comment

rapidfire has been tried and tested by the worlds best surfers... it has been in production nearly as long as fst... i could get the figures but its safe to say there is a LOT of them out there... i still see (and take out myself) rapidfires more than 5 years old... they are as light, fresh and springy as the day they were made... i've only broken a few in that time (compared to many, many p/u's PER YEAR.. and mine get handed out to any kook for demo's..and i ditch them into heavy situations regularly).. there is NO COMPARISON between r/f and a p/u in comp specs..or even normal glass scheduling.. both in snappage OR degradation over time.. and dont forget the p/u will never feel as lively and reboundy..ever...even the pro's p/u's sponge out in a few weeks (then fall apart..or SNAP).. anyone still questioning this should put their p/u and a r/f against a wall at an angle and step in the middle... increase the pressure and see which goes first... even use a heavier glassed p/u... go on... try it...

boards DONT break because a 1ft wave lightly kissed them...if that was the case they would fall apart in transit from the factory.... they break because a certain amount of pressure is applied in the right spot... in the randomness of our ocean this can happen anytime.. and even if a surfer thinks he/she knows enough about ocean physics that they can state that the wave concerned "couldn't of done it" (nobody can), the damage could, and probably was done earlier..

at the end of the day, if you like the direct, lively, rapid rebound of R/F, then ride them...i do... if you like the slightly heavier and softer flexed FST then like many surfers, ride them...and if you like heavy, dead, outdated and more toxic tech that wont last, ride p/u..

of course there is new tech on the way too..............
                          Last edited by core personal training; 11-07-2013, 11:11 PM. Reason: kant spel goode

Comment

Working...
                          X