X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tomo Models & Tech for 2014

Just looking for a bit more info on the new Tomo models & Firewire Tech coming out next year.....

Nano - More of a small wave grovel MPH, assume they would be wider than an equivalent volumed Vanguard/V4 model, maybe a potato replacement?

Vader - Seems to be the Vanguard 2.0 with diamond tail, some extra rear channels and new carbon tech?

Evo - Not sure where this fits into the line, or targeted wave range, anyone???

V4 Thunderbird - Pretty clear, big wave step up V4.

New tech - anyone got the info on the new construction methods coming out?

Only the odd whisper about a new cloth or layer that is super strong and it has been used on some test boards. As to its flex pattern - no word. I heard from reliable source that mid 2014 is possible for a new construction for some models. But information on this material is being kept quiet - due to problems (probably not), to avoid cheap Chinese copies more likely.
    Anyhow, I see the snow is falling and northern Japan is calling so I am waxing the Libtech not the Unibrow and avoiding the swarms of terrorists, sorry tourists that plague northern NSW. Hopefully the new tech will be visible in the land of the rising sun. That is where I first saw an early Techno Grain test or sample board and then had to wait 6 months for their release.

Comment

Thanks for the info jambo, heard anything about the new models?
      Funny, i'm just putting away my Unibrow and packing my bags as we speak for my 8th season in Hokkaido (prob pass you in hirafu), oh and i'm on the nth coast NSW too!

Comment

You certainly will pass me in Hirafu (at 54 you get passed a lot) but I intend to be the oldest boarder one day! I'll be in Hirafu and Rusutsu all of January - so look out for the orange nomis jacket that contains an old ang(ou)r(ie)y bloke. The lads get upset if anyone advertises the "secret" spot!!!!

Comment

Jambo do me a favour and keep telling your mates to go Niseko if you know what I mean and not the other spot an hour away, etc,etc. I have been going every year since 2000 I am nearly as old as you "47" and I thought I was the oldest bloke going around I have all black gear and ride a Gentemstick Giant Mantaray snow surf series with bamboo topsheet, this year I am trying a Yes 420 and a Prior Powstick 176 should be and interesting quiver. Anyway I arrive in the other spot on 31st January so unfortunately i will not bump into you.
          On the Tomo subject if you don't have a Vanguard get one I've had mine since May and it's all I ride after having over 6 different Firewires which were all unreal in their different way.

Comment

yeah planning to add a Vanguard to the quiver, just curious about the new models coming out as i won't be surfing again until March now.
            thoughts on Vanguard sizing - better to go the odd sizing (i.e 5'9"), or doesn't make too much difference?

Comment

I have seen the Vanguard being surfed very well but am put off by the short shape. I was totally beaten by a baked potato - just could not get comfortable. I probably needed a few days of small swell and patience but I flicked it for a spitfire. I think the Tomo boards are the way but now I am like those old blokes who laughed at my Simon Anderson thruster back in the late 70s.
              Last year my son broke his shoulder so we spent time off the snow and this is where I first saw timber grain - it was doing the rounds of retailers as a sample. So on return to Oz it was get local shop to order as I didn't want to drive up to Gold Coast. So maybe new material/models are out there just not on sale. I know that new material boards have been built and ridden. No names but these people are in the know and give very positive feedback on strength, appearance and feel in the water.
              nn66 - I let my mates keep going to NZ and Perisher - there are enough Bogans in Niseko already. Australia Day last year saw me pretending to be French. Unpatriotic maybe; but being drunk, vomiting and carrying on like loud, mindless bogans while draped in the flag - now that is really classy patriotism. Sometimes Niseko is Kuta on ice!!!!!!!! ( Can't wait to see Kez and Baz in Bintang Ski Jackets) But I love the Japanese people that I know there and will always return, although I think the gloss that was there10 years ago is fading fast! The advertising last year was the ASPEN of ASIA and that says it all!

Comment

Jambo you hit the nail on the head about the 70's thing, everyday it's a funny thing riding the Vanguard and the questions you receive everybody really wants to get one however they will not go outside the box, I just say the local shop has them and you can buy one but they never will, it was the same with my SP and BP, they think you have an unfair advantage on how many waves you catch. Looking like I will sell the BP on evil bay and get a Nano if the volume comes out right.
                Unfortunate about Niseko I went there for 2 days 2 years ago after not going there for 4 years and yes the Bogan aspect is out of control I feel for the Japanese and I work for a Japanese Company, and let me tell you I unfortunately did not get a nice welcome when I went to Moiwa and tried to be friendly to some of the local crew there 2 years ago, I don't blame them as I think they have the shits with the place getting taken over. That's why I get off an hour down the road as it's still not over run.

Comment

Surfers are essentially a conservative flock of sheep - they will not step outside the envelope over surfboard design, materials or origin. Local shop owner's term is "idiots who follow one another" So you get the Asian pop out comment from a bloke with a machine shaped PU board that is covered in surf wear stickers and his Chinese made Andy Irons wannabe boardies. The Tomo boards make me think of what McCoy and Horan were trying to do with the lazor zap - but this time it is working. Watched a bloke tear apart my local break on one recently - he reckoned it was too big!!!! No slipping, gouging turns the board and rider never looked uncomfortable. Others would say that he would surf better on a 3 fin 6'6" board that really hasn't changed in ten years. I see it the other way - what a 5'8" can do with new ideas!
                  I have some Japanese friends and they do not resent all visitors just the disrespectful and ill mannered - a bit like I do when idiots paddle out and start pushing up the inside! Even Fanning and Parko on their last visit were waiting their turn and showed respect to the aged locals (they could paddle rings around us if they wanted to). Aussies in general need to show respect in surf and snow of Asia - I do and I have met and boarded and surfed with some great people - shown some great spots to. I'm venturing to another ski area down the road about an hour this year so as to miss Australia Day in Niseko - last year was enough!!!!!

Comment

Yes the Lazor Zap was way out there and growing up at Bondi I was amongst it all, I actually rode for Geoff on Nuggets until 94 and copped a lot of flack of people why would anybody ride such a thick and wide board, once again they would not go outside the box. The Tomo direction is unreal and I cannot believe how exiting his direction to board design is and it works so well, a mate of mine called me today from Byron and said he saw some old guy ripping out the pass last week on one, he spoke to the guy and yes he said the best board he has ever had just like me, my mate still said I don't know if i can do it might have to get a Nano well at least he is on his way.
                    Do yourself a favour when you get to Niseko head down to the Gentemstick Shop just near Niseko Village and hire yourself a Giant Mantaray or Big Fish only $35 for the day well worth getting one for a week they will blow your mind how good they go, that's why I bought one unfortunately they cost a bomb however worth it.

Comment

A Japanese friend rides one with a stiff boot set up and gets speed with control well beyond normal. He says it is really like surfing a mountain! Again you have unconventional ideas in design being worked through but the general public stay aloof as it isn't pushed onto them. I also rode McCoys in the 1980s when Rob McDermid was shaping with Geoff on the central coast. Riding 5'6" boards in cyclone swells was possible - but again the car park critics made sure that everyone stayed on conventional boards. Hopefully my new 7' Submoon will be delivered today - this replaces the 5'8" Baked Potato that I failed to master. A nice board but not for this old back! I was considering a new Arbor RX to replace my lib tech McKink when I get to Sapporo but maybe I should consider your suggestion as I no longer bother with what is misnamed snow in Australia.

Comment

The submoon should be a nice board to ride pity you could not master the BP, my BP does not feel as good when I have to use it when the Vanguard is out of the water. The RX looks like a good all round choice and Arbor make great boards but as suggested the Gentemstick is the way to go if you only go to Japan. I would not go in Australia if I lived any further past the Central Coast however it's still worth it on it's day as I get away from the crowds on a split board after the morning trashing.

Comment

Hey Powman,
                          pretty certain the Nano is coming out next year. How are your sources of information on all the other Tomo models coming out next year. Might have to hold back on getting a Vanguard, the Vader looks totally awesome.

Much Mahalo's

Comment

Yeah Nano is due early next year i think, like Feb. Was looking for some more info on it.

This is cut n paste from Tomo's instagram about the Vader, would also like to know on the improvements over the Vanguard.....

The new production model @tomo_surfboards#Vaderfeaturing the latest in #MPH refinement and cutting edge carbon fiber flex patterns. If you liked the#rbdecades episode featuring this board you will soon be able to get your hands on one soon at a@firewiresurfboards retailer near you!! Release dates will be available soon.

Comment

• Phill
                              Phill commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I don't think there's any 'improvement'. It's just a different tail design. I think the diamond tail will loosen it up and give it more of a central pivot point off the tail.
                              Hopefully the stock sizes will be different to the VG.

• powman
                              powman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Looks like some extra channels in the back, and also the fins are pushed further back to the tail. Also interested in the new construction.
                              Yeah good point about the sizes Phill, you'd think for sure they would have the volumes fall in between the current Vanguard ones.

Thanks Powman and Phil.

Here's a link to a photo of the Vader.

http://hydrodynamica.wordpress.com/2...14/tomo-vader/

Comment

Working...
                            X