X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomo Vanguard sizing

Hi Any of you guys got any thoughts on the Vanguard for older/bigger surfers? My got to boards are a 6'8" Dominator and a 6'8" Von Sol Shadow both would have similar volumes. I like the sound of the Vanguard but think the biggest one at 6'2" would be too small I'm not getting any younger and competing with the younger groms and crowds is getting harder Any thoughts guys? Oh yes I should add I'm now into my 60's and weigh in at about 95kg Thanks

I'm 55 weigh ~90kg and ride a 5'8. Not the greatest paddler in weekend waves and crowds but I still manage to get my share of waves down at Cronulla.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Slowman. Can I ask what size would you ride in a " normal" short board?

Comment

More vanguard sizing I'm 5'9 170 lbs thinking about buying a used 5'8 vanguard that is in new condition for $400, thoughts on size? I'm 43 years old advanced/intermediate. Thanks

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          5'6 would be plenty. 5'5 prob better

Originally posted by samtheman View Post
        Thanks for the reply Slowman. Can I ask what size would you ride in a " normal" short board?
        Samtheman, around a 6'4 to 6'6 but that was a couple of years and a paradigm ago! But before that were riding them shorter before they went longer now they're shorter again!

I now have a 5'8 VG, 6'0 V4, a 6'0 spit, 6'0 dom, 6'0 HF, 6'2 HF, 6'5 HZ, 6'7 HZ, I suppose the 6'5 HZ is the one that most conforms to a HPSB but it feels a little big yet the 6'3 volume is on the low side.

Comment

With the Vanguard is there any disadvantage it getting the same volume you are used to?
          I see that most are going a little lower in volume because of the flatter rocker - by the sounds of it you can get away with it.
          In my way of thinking if I go to my preferred volume (34ltrs ) I simply catch a lot more waves or will it be too boaty and hinder the performance?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Having ridden a big one (came out around normal volume) and a proper sized one which came out a litre and a half below volume, the lower volume one is much more performance orientated. The big one felt like it needed time to come around in a cut back and was slower rail to rail and the full rails felt skittish on a steep overhead face. The shorter narrower version is so quick and responsive under my feet and the thinner rail grips in well on anything.

Paddle wise, the small one is a slog in big rippy line ups but still gets into waves easy and is great if it's lined up and consistent.
            The big one gets around those open line ups easier but I know what is rather be riding the waves with!

Thanks Phil.
          What's your preferred volume in a "normal" short board?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Around 28l usually. My vanguard is 26 or so. I'll be honest, paddling I'm basically swimming with most of the board under water. Sat on it the water level is up to my nipples, but positioned right it catches waves with 1 or 2 paddles and up and riding it's super fast, holds in on well overhead waves goes rail to rail like butter and is so easy to whip around.
            It's just a bit of a chore to paddle around big line ups with strong currents, but there are better boards for those set ups.

If you want one to surf more like a hybrid then the bigger sizes feel more that way IMO, but as a shortboard replacement I think they need to be sized minimally.

Thanks Phil - very clear and easy to understand information. I think my "high performance" days are past me and its all about catching waves with a bit more ease so I'll be looking at one with around 32-35 litres for my 95kg frame. I guess I'll test not guess!

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Definitely best to take advantage of the demos if you have that luxury nearby!

Hey Goanna definitely go with the upper volume I made the mistake and went with a HF 6'6" and caught nothing unless I was perfectly positioned. The Vanguard have is a 6'2" and I am 104kgs and it goes in everything from 1.5-10ft faces. Definitely try before you buy and try it with Jordy Future Large 3 fin set just get ready for the questions if you get one.

Comment

I am 43 and 90 kg intermediate and I find the 5'10" perfect at 35 litres. Normally I look for more the 38 litre boards but the vanguard paddles so well with the wider nose that you can rider a little smaller.

Comment

http://vimeo.com/67624584
              Geez how small does this board look? he's riding a wake board and ripping!

Comment

Notice how there was no pumping across the wave face? Just bottom turn to top, in one smooth motion. A great way to minimise the energy you spend when you're riding a wave.

Comment

I'm looking to pick up one of these soon. any suggestions as far as ideal size, I'm a strong intermediate surfer, 6ft 175lb. still in pretty good shape as far as paddling as i'm 25 years old.

Comment

• csarqui
                    csarqui commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm the exact same dims. 6ft, 175lbs. I started with the 5'4 and loved it under foot but it was way too much work to paddle around. I moved up to the 5'5 which felt a little too bulky at first but eventually fit me perfectly.

Yea the 5'5 or 5'6 was what I was leaning towards, I don't wanna bog myself down by going to small at first. Thanks for advice

Comment

Working...
                  X