Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide between 5'10 Vanguard or 5'9 Vanguard?

Hello all,

About to pull the trigger on a Vanguard and having a difficult time deciding on which size (5'9 or 5'10 Vanguard). I am 6'3 and weigh 220 lbs (put on some weight after an injury, but am working to get myself back down to 205lbs) advanced ability and pretty good fitness (injury is healed, so back at the gym and surfing again - just working on cardio to drop the weight).

The volumes of both sizes are basically the same (35.6 and 35.7), so I guess I am wondering what advantages/disadvantages there would be with getting with the bigger or smaller of these two. This board will be my daily driver, in beach break waves of mainly waist to head high (with some push - not mushy, more hollow).

Will the 5'9 be a completely different animal than the 5'10? How much difference (feel and ride wise) does a reduction of a 1/4 inch in width have and also for a 1 inch reduction in length?
    Which of the two would be a better all rounder size?

Thanks in advance….

I would say if you are 220 lbs of fast twitch ninja reflex surfing POWER - then go for the extra response of the 5'9". Other wise you should get more friendly every day use out of the slightly wider 5'10". I am 90kgs with the 5'6" and wouldn't go for the same volume in the narrower 5'5".

Comment

All rounder??, @ 220Lbs I'd go for the 5'10"
      I'm 5'6" and 85Kgs and the 5'6" floats me fine, but on bigger days I'd have t paddle a bit more that I would like to on it.

Comment

Working...
      X