X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VG & Vader Differences??

Hi guys, does anyone have any inside knowledge on what the differences will be between the VG & Vader models (apart from the tail shape) @Chris @Phill @Josh Bl?
    I know there's not too much Vader information out there yet but curious to know what the performance differences might be, since we know that the VG is a high performance model?

Bueller....

Comment

I see the Vader having a little looser, more pivoty feel than the vanguard based on the tail differences. Other than the tail/channels I don't think they are hugely different. I haven't see one in the flesh let alone ridden one yet though.

Comment

word is it has a bit more rocker, and is better tight in the pocket, meant to be a killer board

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. If it has more rocker I wonder how it paddles and how quick it in does the line. I imagine you have to be pretty careful with rocker on the shorter lengths, for instance the vanguard already has a lot for a 5'4.
          Looking forward to checking a Vader out.

5'4" FST with FCS II set up ordered & hopefully under my feet at the end of February.

Comment

• Matt_s
          Matt_s commented
          Editing a comment
          You know what the vol is going to be on your 5'4 vader megsy?

Hey @Matt_s I went for the Vanguard, couldn't wait for the Vader. Since the delivery for my Vanguard will be at the end of February, I thought the wait for the Vader will be just too loooonnnggggg. @goanna

Comment

• Goanna
          Goanna commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice work Megsy, I always trust your judgement and feedback. Look forward to your ride report and hopefully another video!

• megsy
          megsy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks @Goanna, heading up to Byron Bay for a few days the week after my bucks. Shame I won't have my vanguard but I'll have the potatonator & baked potato so might get some footage, swell permitting of course!

Good call megsy I have one in order as well can't wait to see how it goes!

Comment

Mat and Megsy, cant wait to hear some ride reports on the 504 VG! I was thinking about demoing a 503 (o.n.o) sometime soon from currumbin... Hows that east coast surf drought been hey megsy? bllleeeururrghhh

Comment

• megsy
            megsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah @NelsonGoldCoast, the drought has been frustrating but at least my 501 BP has been getting a decent workout. I froth over 1-2ft waves now, just as much as 4-6ft waves, if that makes any sense?

• Nelson GoldCoast
            Nelson GoldCoast commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah i bet your BP has barely had a chance to dry off! Iv still managed to get a few good surfs but its been appauling for this time of year... Howling Easters now but that should whip up some swell and hopefully the winds will sort themselves out. It looks like the goldies been getting a worse spell than down the coast but finally looking on the up. Should be some swell for your byron trip, i love that whole stretch of Northern NSW, some great spots. The BP would go a treat on those mellow byron points amongst all the hipsters!

I picked up my 5'6" FST VG over a week ago and didn't ride it due to a)no surf in Sydney, b) was considering waiting for a vader & c) weight check revealed 91.7kgs : 0 And I thought I had lost a couple!
          Friday's surf looked too inviting at a glassy 2' - 3' to not take out a new board even if it was full high tide and the Dom would have been a more sensible choice. Super happy that I went with the VG. It picked up waves so easily and despite my arms struggling to lift me upwards and not forward over the front of the board (which may have happened once) (okay twice) I had a fun surf. Looking forward to dropping a few more kgs and getting some strength back so I can rip into some harder turns. Need to get in the water more to get the timing flowing again too. Looks like tomorrow and Monday could be ok.
          Hope your board turns up before the end of Feb Megsy.

Comment

• megsy
            megsy commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey @Sarge, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the board arrives in the next week as I'm doing a little road trip up to Byron on the 3rd February & it would be nice to take the Vanguard with me for the ride.

Your fortunate to have the test center near you Nelson you should get on that asap, I would have thought you'd be on the 5'3 ?Your a couple inches shorter than me and i found the 5'6, when I took out a demo to be noticiably long an a bit clumsy due to the width of the nose. I'm 5'9.

Comment

Yeh it's cool there's loads of placess here to do demos but they don't have all the sizes... I reckon the 503 should be about right for me

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              Try whatever size you can. At least you'll know how much smaller you need to go

• megsy
              megsy commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with @Phill, I've tried Stuey Kennedy's 5'2 RF VG & I've demo'd a 5'6 RF VG. The 5'6" felt too "boaty" & the 5'2" had a few moments where it felt good but i did have to put in a few extra strokes to paddle into the wave. So I reckon right in the middle at 5'4" should be just right!

503 and 504 are almost identical volume weirdly... Im a little chunk so 503 would be ideal i reckon, i vaguely remember josh bl saying something about different sizes of the VG being closer to original dimensions or something...502 would come out a touch under volume i reckon...

Comment

Hope you get some good waves on your trip. I'll be heading up there with the family on the 17th of Feb so hopefully the surf season starts getting into the swing of things by then.

Comment

Matt and Megsy you had some time with the new vanguards underfoot yet?!

Decent range of swells been hitting the east coast would love to hear your thoughts on the 504 megsy, especially when compared to demoing the 502 and compared to your 501 BP...

Comment

Any news on the Vader from anyone or differences with the VG?

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Different tail and channel set up. I wonder if they'll be in that carbon construction Tomo always seems to be riding too.
                Working...
                X