X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard or nano - 5'10 or 6

Surfing a beach break (oceanside) usually shoulder high or so - 43yrs 205 intermediate with not a very low center of gravity - less flexible with age and weight, surf a lot though. Lol, didn't like the description of myself but its honest. Going to buy one of these and looking for a few recommendations - also which one paddles better?

Nano would be a safer bet I reckon

Comment

Thanks phil, Anyone else on sizing and board? I would imagine I need the firewire crew to respond since the nano is in the process of getting released initially to the public and few, other than staff and friends, have ridden it - advice guys?

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually Tomo has been making the nano for years. I've only heard great things from the folks who've been riding them.
        There's a huge thread on the surfermag forum with tonnes of people posting about the nano. Worth a read!

I am riding a 508 VG (32.2L) quad setup (controllers) and am looking at a 509 Nano (33.8L) maybe 510 (35.7) I have a PN 510 (36.8L) quad setup with WCT Techflex up front and QD2 3.75 rears. which I ride in 2-3 ft then moving to the VG when it gets bigger. Hoping the Nano bridges the gap between both boards. Want something that paddles like the PN but feels like the VG. Going to experiment with fins...I weigh about 215 at 6'1". I test rode the 504 and 506 VG which were just too little.(granted surf was small)The controllers on the VG feel insane in bigger surf and have tested the tech flex combo on it for smaller surf. works great. bit skittsy but fun. North County regular. Hope that helps.

Comment

Ive had both boards in the following dimensions:
        nano 6'0 19.75" 2.63" (hand shaped stringerless EPS)
        Vanguard 5'10" 19.5" 2.53" (Rapidfire and now FST)

Id go with the Vanguard. I feel like DT started out with the Nano and some other fish like shapes before feeling confident enough to release a Vanguard-like board. While my Nano was a very fast board, the Vanguard was a revelation when I first surfed it. Something clicked when I was riding it and the fast, free, planing hull feeling was immediately noticeable, even after having had a Nano for a year. It's a good all-arounder for 75% of what SD will throw at you, but when the harbor in O'side starts to pitch a bit, youre going to want a V4.

Comment

Well, one thing I've noticed (for me anyways) is that too much volume hurt my paddling. I had a 5'7" BP and man that thing was too much. Even my current 5.5 BP seems a lil over volumed at times. I think that due to the Nanos shape that one could go smaller in volume. My range is 27-32 depending on board and break and will prolly get the Nano in 30? That is if I get one, lovin my EF, BP and Futura.

At any rate, do give us a rider report after you've gotten one. I hope they're offered in FCS.

Comment

i ride a 505 FST VG and really starting to get it worked out and love surfing it. I have decided to with a 506 FST Nano as i have been told they are sized to surf at similar volume to the VG. I am getting used to paddling the VG into waves and now when i try out a mates board that is 32ltrs of volume it really feels like a boat and i also struggle to paddle it into waves compare to the VG. At first i found the VG a little bit harder to paddle around the break but really easy to paddle into waves. I am hoping that the Nano is a bit easier paddling as there is a little bit of volume forward of centre. there is probably some crossover between the VG and Nano and i have been told they do surf differently.

Comment

• sambone
              sambone commented
              Editing a comment
              Fazza
              I also ride a 5'5 Vanguard so I very interested in your ride report on the Nano 5'6. I have been thinking of getting a 5'5 Nano and go 27L... 28.8 Litres on the vanguard is great but I just wonder???

Hey Fazza, looking forward to your ride report as always.

Comment

Wanted to add that you've a very interesting technical review of the paddle in terms of it getting into waves vs just floating round. Also considering your buddies board in volume vs yours, its like 2 of those big bottles of soda that Mayer Bloomberg has banned with a purchase of pizza in NYC.

Comment

From what I have read around the web, nanos supposedly paddle better than VGs so I stuck with a 5'10 nano - we'll see when it arrives. If I really like it, i'll probably get a 5'10 VG when summer hits when I lose the wetsuit.

Comment

Both VG and Nano have the same volume at 5.10. What would make the Nano an easier paddle? Were the volume is distributed I assume?

Comment

I have not yet ridden a Nano, but I can imagine paddling the Nano would be easier because it has some of that hybrid DNA in it. On the other hand, the VG is more of a high performance board, and high performance boards generally are less floaty and more thinned out than performance hybrids like the Nano.

- FIJ

Comment

FCS fin recommendations for the nano at 205lb?

Comment

Well, not that I know having not ridden it yet, but you cannot go wrong with MRTFX tri fin setup. I've ridden it on several boards and it rocks plain and simple.

The large side fins really drive and using the smaller center fin still gives you the fun of a tri fin setup.

Unsure if the Nano will be FCS or FCSII.

Comment

Firewire is replacing all FCS fin boxes with FCSII fin boxes. But you will still be able to use all existing FCS fins in the new FCSII system.

- FIJ

Comment

Working...
                          X