Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciate the info Josh - Looks like the FCS II Performer PC Carbon Tri Set - XL based on their website

Comment

Brilliant info, thanks Josh. After reading your post I found this on their site; Will my old FCS (dual tab) fins work with this system?

Yes, you can use all your existing FCS fins with the FCS II system. The FCS II plugs are backwards compatible - grub screws can be used within the FCS II plugs to secure your existing dual tab FCS fins.

FCS has designed a set of unobtrusive silicone infills to fill the gap created by the old fins in the new system. The infills are made from high quality silicone rubber which will not damage the plugs or fins. They are also extremely durable, light and built to withstand extreme temperature and corrosive conditions. The infills replicate the flush leading edge of the new fin design improving the performance of the old fins.

Comment

For you fin gurus - it seems there is a little overlap between Large and XL zone for my weight and I could get either a large or XL fin - is there a big difference in responsiveness between those two? Here are the specs
        FIN SPECS: LARGE
        Base: 4.48" / 114mm
        Depth: 4.67" / 118mm
        Area: 15.58"▓ / 10054mm▓
        Sweep: 33.7║
        Foil: Inside

FIN SPECS: X-LARGE
        Base: 4.59" / 117mm
        Depth: 4.78" / 121mm
        Area: 16.36"▓ / 10554mm▓
        Sweep: 33.7║
        Foil: Inside

I know the XL will hold more, but not quite sure how big an affect the base and depth play from Large to XL. No difference in sweep or foil between the two.

Comment

• Sarge
          Sarge commented
          Editing a comment
          With a 3mm difference on base and on height, I would say its a massive difference in feel for both drive and hold when used on the same board. Very roughly and this is a generalisation, for a small wave / everyday board - if you are on the lower end of the recommended volume you could ride the larger fin or the smaller fin if you are on the higher end of your recommended volume. More Tail width could also require a larger fin to manage the board. On the other hand, the VG does not require a large fin to get drive - I am riding at the lower end of my HP volume. I stand by to be taken down by those who know more : )

Too bad one couldn't get a small center fin in this package. I'm pretty sold on the whole MRTFX template so far. But then again I've only used it on;

Futura
        El Fuego
        BP
        SP

The Tomos are very diff animals and if I get one, will prolly defer to whatever the sticker on it says. I usually found FireWires suggested fin setup pretty reliable.

I found this thread very cool;

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/view...d4e924db2437db

Comment

Ended up getting a 5'11 vanguard - what an awesome board. Seems to surf great in 2' waves and well overhead waves - just feels loose, fun and fast and paddles great in various sizes and conditions. Tried it with tri jordy setup and didnt like it, just didnt feel right - used the seaworthy quad which is similar to controllers and that worked really well - Pretty much a must own board, highly recommended.

Comment

Yeah, first time on a vg for several months last week. Like catching up with an old friend. Only took one wave to dial it in again. They are unique

Comment

Picked up an as new fst fcs 6' vanguard yesterday so will see what all the hoohaa is about. Not today though. Howling onshores (yet again) and crowded Noosa is the only option. I'll wait for cleaner beachbreak conditions.

Comment

• BFILK
                BFILK commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you get a chance to take out the VG cuttle? I recently picked up a nano and am LOVING it, interested to hear your take on the VG vs NANO

Ridden it a few times.
              First surf in solid 3-5' clean, excellent beach break waves and the board was a good paddler, got me into waves easily and found the gas pedal easily enough. Had Sunny Garcia thruster fins in it and it felt really stiff on my forehand but loose enough on my backhand. I enjoyed surfing it but not blown away. Next 2 surfs were at my local point in 2-4' crowded waves with Scarfini HX2 quad fins. Felt much looser but with no loss of drive as a quad. I was feeling tired both times and so didn't get the joy of the first beach break surf but my local point is a fat roller on the outside with a suckier inside section. This is where I found I would have been more comfortable with the extra litreage I'm used to when I surf there. Generally starved for waves in amongst the crowd and the vanguard is being sold to help fund the 6'2" nano I had on order which is now waiting for me at the local surf shop. If I was only surfing my local beach break with the vanguard it could stay but I want to be able to surf my fat roller of a point too and the local beach breaks aren't good that often. More often than not they have a deep spot in-between the inner and outside banks that require a board with really good planing area to get me through.

Comment

Thanks Cuttle. That's exactly why I went with the Nano, I felt in the usual beach breaks I surf in So Cal I'd get a lot more use out of the nano, I've been running it with the MB2 Tri and I've had a blast on it. Haven't tried it in quad yet, I haven't heard anyone say they've enjoyed a quad setup yet (on the nano).

Comment

Working...
                X