X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Tomo

Anyone here riding an overvolumed Tomo? Between a back that makes it harder to arch and worn out shoulders fighting a 5mil wetsuit I need all the help I can get. I'm 180lbs and tried a 5'8" that was so much work it really took away from the fun. In my 40s, surf 1-2 times a week if lucky so I wonder if riding a bigger Tomo kind of defeats the design principles?

Was riding a 6'2" @ 43 litres which was 10% overvolumed from my ideal 39 litres. If I had taken on board everyone's chat about sizing then I guess I should have gone for 5'8" or 5'10" so with that background, the 6'2" was well overvolumed. Tried the 6' and that went great but did miss too many waves that I would have normally scored. So ordered the 6'2" and have never regretted. Found no performance issue compared to the 6', just as loose and probably the best board i have ever ridden, with the exception of the V4 which I sized the same volume 6'6"
    Have found those 2 boards to be perfect in volume for me. 56 this year, 90 kgs and 190 cm tall, very fit but dodgy knees. Ordering the Nano as well at 43 litres, FST. Reordering the V4 same size FST and also reordering the VG in FST as i find catching waves with 3'1"VG too hard basket

Comment

He drenchy, how do you find the v4 in 6'6" compared to 6'2" VG? Does it paddle a little better because its longer? I ride the 5'10" VG but thinking of getting a 6'4' V4 for when its bigger waves but hoping it will give me some added paddle speed? Ta

Comment

• Denchy
        Denchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thought at the time that the VG maybe paddled a touch better but either way not much in it. Was a month between the 2 Close call. The V4 would be the choice with bigger waves, refined control. Nothing worse than a twitchy board when ya under the pump

I think riding an oversized VG definitely hurts how you will surf. I tried a 506 when that was the only size I could get my hands on and kept bogging the nose. It also slid out in weird ways. As soon as I got a hold of my correct size of that board, a 503, it worked like magic. I'd say for paddling you won't notice if it's a little too big, but ride-wise you will.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
      X