X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard Speed

Found this great video (hope I'm not stealing anyone's thunder) have a look at the SPEED at around the 3:15 minute mark!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqGNFgwqIvA

Another good one from a recent Baja trip with mark price, chuy, tomo. Richard Kenvin at 52 on his 5'8 vanguard and some footage of Dan in there too I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkI-0sveDds&sns=em

Comment

• Matt_s
      Matt_s commented
      Editing a comment
      Wish Cornwall was like that ! Been a long time since iv seen waves like that

• megsy
      megsy commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey @Phill I couldn't help but notice how far the surfers back foot was from the tail pad. From most reports I've come across the VG is really meant to be ridden with your back foot right over the fins & as far back towards the tail as possible to get the best out of the board.

And I agree Goanna, the speed the vanguard is capable of is addictive. But the really great thing is, even going that fast the board is still free to break the line and whip around however you like and I holds in.

Comment

Sweet looking clips guys. Nice one.

Comment

Yeah it looks like the guy could not control the speed at the end. Looked like he could have used bigger fins

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          It was set up as a quad in the El Sal clip. Would have benefitted from a thruster imo. I bet it's crazy quick as a quad though, but already so fast as a thruster.

• iggy
          iggy commented
          Editing a comment
          That board is already fast as it is, can't imagine it as a quad, rather have a bit more control ;)

yeeeeeeeewwww, did i see quad with a cheeky nubster there?!?!

Comment

Would you put a speed limiter on your Ferrari? i would rather need to put the brakes on than have to say "might have come out of that if I had the quad setup"
          Haven't used a thruster setup for several years and not likely to return. Fifth fin gives the control of a thruster with the speed of a quad. Get the size and foil of the fifth fin right to add even more drive. But the speed is only there if you want it.
          Use that front/back foot wisely!!
          Last edited by Denchy; 02-04-2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Josh BL
            Josh BL commented
            Editing a comment
            Liking the car analogy Denchy!

- FIJ

Watching those clips demonstrates to me the need to ride the vanguard as short as possible or the long straight rail is not working so well for the surfer.

Comment

how about we stop this bullshit conversation about SPEED, until someone straps a GPS to their board or arm, and replicates surfing the same wave in the same conditions with a normal hpsb about 500 times, then compare the data. Yes the vanguard has more planning area, which equates to less input by the surfer to get up and moving, but more speed ? i'm not so convinced yet.
            Last edited by vortextheory; 02-11-2014, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              Less drag through straighter outline and wider release through the tail = more speed.
              The formulas and principals that Tomo designed the MPH are all about lowering drag and increasing speed and planing ability.

• Denchy
              Denchy commented
              Editing a comment
              Vortex is a prime example of why one should not suddenly stop taking prescribed medication.....

• Slowman
              Slowman commented
              Editing a comment
              Anecdotally the data exists by comparing the waves that you make on these things that you wouldn't have otherwise on a normal board. Of course it is not a considered and controlled study by any means but the evidence is there when you compare the VG against others that you have ridden.

One other thing, by riding the VG it will teach you about generating speed better on your more conventional board too! Now you can cry me down on that one LOL

its not just faster, during one session (and only back hand too), i had very long perfect sucking lefts and could not find its top speed, in fact i was getting anxious at times, and i was washing speed off to not outrun what i previously would of called long closeouts.. and finding time for vert hits off good bottom turns..this was with smallish flexy inside foils in the board which top out early too..and i only use thruster set ups.. i'm not offering an opinion, (and neither are the others here who are experienced enough to test boards and compare them to others), i'm making a statement that the VG is MUCH faster than any performance board... and performs at least as well...often much much better.. if you can surf and if you ride it small enough.. also, that vid doesnt come close to showing the speed of this board... now this bit is just spitballing. (this bit is just my opinion) but the guy, whilst having a ball and competently surfing, appears held back a fair bit by the board being too big, and/or using too big/swept a fin/or fourfins?.. back to fact not opinion.. the vg is so much more reactive than the vid shows.. again, good on the guy, he's lovin' life and rippin' while i'm nursing my back again today, but riding it with low volume/twitchyish fins gives you a board that does not need manhandling and reacts the instant you tweak it...
            Last edited by core personal training; 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM.

Comment

also, from sessions and/or convo's with numerous qs/ct guys, they agree.. they have reasons (not necessarily performance based) for staying on their traditional boards, but they too note the speed/lack of drag of the board whilst still performing as a normal shortboard...

Comment

Plz do tell...

It would be cool to know why CTers don't surf the radical shapes etc... But then again, they already look fast no matter what. I mean dude, I saw Adriano surf the small Trestles wave a while back and he was flyin. Was like a 2 footer and he was amazing on it.

Comment

• Sarge
                  Sarge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is an easy one. CTers follow a simple safe premise. Ride what the lead guy is riding. For those in places 2nd and down, it's clearly the top guy's board that is winning. It would be a tough thing to accept its all down to not being as good as those ranked higher. That's why the world rides what Kelly rides. 20 years of pro surfboard evolution there. I think Kelly changes design to keep things interesting for himself

I imagine the world your uber pros are generally pretty fearful of the effect riding a funny looking board would have on scoring too...

Comment

And creating and maintaining speed is not something that troubles a pro surfer. While the rest of us wash off speed after a big manoeuvre while we recover and then try to build our speed again, they have already thrown in two more moves without slowing down at all. They also have the technique and agility to use all that speed staying in the pocket of the wave.

Comment

I was watching Occumentary a while back and recall Occy having been told that the pros are all about speed now and that he had to get his speed up in order to have a shot. He then went on to win the title which was very cool.

Comment

• Sarge
                      Sarge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Its amazing to think that Occy could throw so much spray while going slow!
                      I saw him surf a couple of contests that year and he was on an mission to destroy good waves.
                  Working...
                  X