X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiver change up

Hey all, after some quiver advice, I'm 28 y.o, 85kg average ability but reasonably fit and a good paddler. currently have a 5'6 vanguard and a 5'10 unibrow. I've been using the unibrow as my all round/smaller wave board but now finding it too chunky, especially in decent waves. The rails are too boxy and it's just annoying me. Love my vanguard but want to change to either fst or lft as it's scary how easily the glass on the rapid fire shatters and find I'm constantly in fear of it breaking. Also want to try riding a smaller one. So I'm thinking of swapping to a 5'4 vanguard for good days and picking up a 5'6 or 5'7 nano as an all rounder. Does anyone around my weight ride a 5'4 vanguard and can give some feedback? My only worry with it is getting into waves, the 5'6 gets in super easy so a bit tentative about giving that up.

At 175lbs (surf almost every day) I rode the VG 5'4 for about 5 months. The board felt incredible under foot but I eventually got burned out on the general paddle in the lineup. I stepped up to the 5'5 which felt bulky at first but eventually turned out to be a good volume for me.

Comment

That's interesting feedback. While the diff between 5.4 and 5.5 is substantial at 25.9 vs 28.9L respectively, the diff between 5.5 and 5.6 is odd at 28.9 and 28.8. So the 5.6 has a tad less volume when compared to the 5.5 according to the specs.

Comment

Yeh i dont get the weird volume changes with length for the VG, maybe so that you can go shorter if you want but maintain a similar volume

Comment

Same dims as you Walking, in my case I rather stay on the 5'6" (surf on rubber around 8 months out of the year, from 3/2 to 6/4's). Find that on bigger days going too small on the vanguard could cripple me (on a beach break).
          At this point I'm looking towards the V4 for bigger days for some paddle help

Comment

Working...
          X