X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vanguard for all

Been a few weeks now and about 20 surfs in everything from slop to chop to just overhead and sucky beach breaks. The vanguard is for everyone I can't believe how versatile and user friendly this board is. If your even below average and not sure what to get, get a vanguard. If your highly advanced, get a vanguard. Just get a vanguard. Everyone owe it to yourself, get a vanguard. Thanks Tomo and FW for giving me so much fun. Get a vanguard.

Hey Seabass, do you like the VG then?

Comment

But if you want even more user friendly get a nano. :-)

Comment

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww....!!!

Comment

• pukas01
          pukas01 commented
          Editing a comment
          I BEEN RIDING VG FOR A YEAR ITS AMAZING BUT I HATE LOSING WAVES BY PEARLIN THE NOSE.MAYBE NANO ITS THE SOLUTION

When waves get super sucky the v4 will fit the drop easier... The vg can do it if you get up quickly onto the back foot. (I'm getting a bit old for this..!!)

Comment

^ That's a good point. It is also possible to catch an edge on the corders of the nose when making a critical section and this definitely does through you off. Getting up with your feet in the right spot is essential, I've found, with the VG.

- FIJ

Comment

• pukas01
            pukas01 commented
            Editing a comment
            maybe the lack of rocker ,could be the main point.looks like the vader will improve that point.

Re the Vader
          Has anyone got any reliable info on the proposed sizes of the Vader.
          OK it seems that some feel that the Rocker may be altered but what about width compared to Vanguard at set lengths.
          I'm thinking that with a little more Rocker and maybe a 1/4 inch width upgrade frrom Vanguard and the corresponding Litre adjustments it will be spot on.
          Gets me onto a 5'4 and fills the gaps many seem to be experiencing with current Vanguard sizes.

Comment

Well all the hype finally got to me and I went and hired a 5'8" VG to demo. It's been a frustrating year as far as getting good waves goes but the surf god's finally cut me a little slack. I just scored 2 straight days from 2-4ft with offshore winds and great banks directly in front of the house we rented for the weekend.
            The 5'8" was a battle to paddle around the line up but once you're up it is.....well, you know the rest!
            when finances allow I'll be looking at getting a 5'9" or 5'10" VG or a 5'10" Nano as a HPSP

Comment

• core personal training
              Editing a comment
              I told ya goanna..!! I told ya..!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww....!!!!

Hey Core I think you're mad riding the 5'6" - I don't know how you do it!!
            anyway could you see yourself riding a 5'8" for better paddle?
            I'm thinking of the 5'9" for this reason but worried the extra volume may be too much extra and hinder some performance (can't find a demo in that size)

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              IMO it's a better board to ride small and save it for the right conditions than to ride big and use it in everything but never truly get the best out of it.
              That said I've seen a few older guys locally on bigger sizes who absolutely love theirs so what do I know!!

• Sarge
              Sarge commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Goanna, much the same as Core (I strongly suspect) is about to say, I could not imagine going bigger than my 5''6". That said, there are a few guys that go a bit bigger with their VG and are happy. Also you liked the extra volume on your 6'2"MD compared to me loving my 6'0". I would however say that my VG paddles almost as well as my MD, but catches waves way more easily. The design of the VG achieves planing at a much lower speed than the MD requires.

• core personal training
              Editing a comment
              one notch up wont add much to the paddling (in any board) but will have a large impact on performance... however, it can definitely help stop you sinking on your pop up as the lip/whitewash hits you in the shoulder blades..!!.. this is why i am very selective about finding clean take offs... i dont care if its air drops over bare rock.. as long as the lip/whitewash is not driving me under water like the kook that i am while getting to my feet... so that bit of foam can help those who are getting old and creaky to get up a bit slower and more carefully... you then however have more foam to try and sink and move around.. this will be slowed down compared to the lower volume board... these days i find i'm often nervous and not overly confident taking off in broken waves... even 2 footers, because i know my nose is going to go down and i'll probably screw my back up trying to flick up awkwardly...

so after all that waffle to sum up.. if one model is right down at minimum volume, then one notch up will make things more comfortable on take off without really paddling any faster...and still be usable.. but as sarge suspected, until i can no longer ride my little boards i aint beefing em up..!!.. i'd rather get swatted like a total gumby drowned rat in messy junk so that i can still do my thing (which isnt much) on good waves...

also, as mentioned, these do paddle well and the nose helps out in a way that normal boards rely on higher volume for... i dont know if that bit made sense, but i know what i mean..!!

struth, i'm still waffling.... i'll stop now..!!
              Dave out.....

Never found any issues with the VG except maybe getting my back foot all the way back, but doesnt seem to be a big issue i find the boards forgiving enough to handle that. Its a sick board everyone should get one. Had a go on the nano and its good board to but its not as good as the VG its a bit less of wow factor can't wait to see the vadar I love to see a full on grovell board by TOMO

Comment

Yep seabass, that's the word(s) on the street; wow factor.

Comment

here's a question. How would a 600 Vanguard (39.5L) paddle in comparison to a 604 Spitfire (41.5L). If it paddles around the line up in a similar fashion and catches waves as well or better I think I've made up my mind on a new High Performance board.

Comment

Now that I have finally ridden one I can really see what you are all saying about riding the lower volumes.
                  I couldn't get me head around it before - in fact I couldn't stand the look of them. Now I have caught the VG Fever I look upon her as a thing of beauty!
                  Let's just say the thrill of the ride far outweighs the paddling around the line up issues.

I will get one for sure when finances allow and ride it in the right conditions but I still want a "middle" board for the average days.

Comment

Surfed a Dominator and VG is easier onto better waves harder in the line up but saying that now i have had plenty paddle time i find i am paddling it heaps easier i think its because you paddle it slightly differantly to normal type board therefore your muscles etc need time to build up and adjust. Surfed my VG in 1ft "slop slop" this moring and yeah it struggled but i still got waves and had some fun SP would have been better actually staying in bed would have been better but wanted to test the extremly low range of the board and thats the extreme low range, at least you can catch waves and get wet.

Comment

Working...
                    X