X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effective Rail

I've read on here that due to the straighter rail on the VG it has more effective rail in the water than a normal short board shape so you can ride them shorter.
    My question is has anyone worked what size VG is matched up with what sized short board?
    by that I mean would a 5'8" VG be equivalent to a 6'2" short board and so on?

I hope I'm making sense!

My 5'6 had more effective rail than my 6'4 Flexfire step up. You just have to lay one on top of the other and you can see the difference in rail line. Not exactly quantifiable but it's visually apparent.

Comment

Did you say my 5'6" had??? don't you have it anymore Phil?

Comment

Nah I got a 5'4 made up custom. The 5'6 felt huge but I wasn't prepared to gamble on the low volume of the stock 5'4. Went 5'4 x 18" x 2"3/8 with foiled out rails. It's in the high 26l range I think but feels perfect. Much more nimble than the oversized version and still effortless wave catching. It pretty much replaced my grovellers. Nearly a one board quiver for me unless it's big, rippy or shifty as it's not great for long paddles.

Comment

Oh Ok. I'm hoping the 5'9" will solve the issue of needing a 3rd board without being too boaty. It is 3litrs more volume than the 5'8". The fact that yours has replaced your grovelers is encouraging news.
          I'm also hearing / reading that the Nano is a smoother ride and just as fast so it's an option as well BUT that rocker freaks me out a bit - it looks like it would push a lot of water out the front!

Comment

i noticed the same as phil... 506 out did my normal shorty's (6'2 to 6'4)

Comment

Ok so for the dummies (me!) how do you know what the effective rail length is? can you measure it? is it something you know just by looking?
              sorry if the question sounds silly but I'm lost here on how to compare one from another!

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                In my option on a regular shortboard the front 12" isn't doing anything and the rear 10"+ although being engaged and used is only adding drag and control and not so much for drive.
                The vanguard might have 2" at each end where it goes into the diamonds that is not fully in use, although as you go to longer lengths there is probably more nose area out of the water.
                The straight section of rail through the centre of a HPSB is it's most effective rail section IMO, but this is all based off feel, I'm no shaper/expert!

http://www.boardformula.com/showanimation/3080/4391/

http://www.boardformula.com/showanimation/3080/4391/#

would probably put me at 5'3 vanguard off me old dims of 6'0 x 18 3/8 x 2 1/4 F1 (though these days I am more around 5'10-5'11 x 18 5/8

Comment

if i bury a norm board right over in a full tilt bottom turn or cutty etc, its buried to a bit past the front foot or maybe a little further.(although the little bit further will just cause drag)...and the rear of the board curving back in is not of full use in driving the board (except fin input).. if i bury a vanguard its from tip to tip, often along the "stringer line", nose under water and all at times.. no drag, quite the reverse... stand a vg and a norm board against the wall eg. 5'6vg vs 6'2mb (which has more effective rail than chippier hp's) . now mind surf a full power turn while sussing the outlines... you can knock the first foot or more off the MB, and then at least half a foot of tail who's drive ebbs away with the curve.. you are left with the more parallel mid outline.. now cast your eye over the vanguard.. its ALL middle..!! ... now heres where the magic is... it doesnt just drive down the line with that long rail line... it also out manoeuvres shortboards..!!.. hows that Nev and Dan.?? explained that pretty well for a kook.. see, i have been listening all these years to your technobabble..!!

and we need to stop calling them shortboards because they feel very step-up-ish after riding the vg..!!

the above is how i get peoples minds around it in the carpark... but i find the quickest way is to send em out to try my vg.. always a lightbulb moment... !

p.s. Raz, WHERES MY LFT VG WHERES MY LFT VG WHERES MY LFT VG WHERES MY LFT VG WHERES MY LFT VG WHERES MY LFT VG .. :)

Comment

Working...
                X