X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard or Nano?

Not sure which one to get as I am totally torn. Want something for the 4-6 foot range as I have a Spitfire which I love, and a Baked Potato. I do have a Hellrazor and will be selling a Hellfire. ( I have a firewire problem) I want something that is loose and surfs as free as the Spitfire as I am an intermediate/Adv surfer who is 6'3" 190lbs. I have been surfing since I was 18 so I have a lot of time in the water.

Maybe someone can shed some light on my choices as I am leaning more towards the VG and will be demoing it later this week.

Cheers,

Brent

I don't think you can go wrong with either. What kind of waves/conditions are you looking to get a board for? I find my Nano handles everything from waist to head high+. It paddles pretty well thru slightly choppy/windy seas and can handle some mush, but it feels really at home in chest high+, punchier breaks. It has some of that "hybrid" DNA so I feel it has more range than the VG (in terms of various conditions) but that's a personal thing, as many on here will say the VG handles anything worth surfing. One thing to note is that if you have decent on-shore winds the nose of the VG tends to struggle with that wind given the shape of the nose on the hull. I have been considering adding a lower vol VG for 4-7ft faces and clean conditions and continuing to use my Nano for anything else that's worth riding.

Comment

yeah Brent,

so the biggest difference between the two boards to me is the tail shape and width as well as the nose profile. The nano has a narrower tail and no swallow so you can get you back foot further back and you can carve, bite, pivot in more critical positions. the curve in the front half of the board also has is a bit more traditional so you can carve deeply and come out a little more smoothly. Overall the Vanguard might have a better gas pedal but it definitely is a harder board to surf. The nano, in my opinion, really does a good job blending the benefits of the Vanguard with a more conventional shape so its ridiculously fast and efficient but still super easy to ride and versatile.

Comment

• BFILK
        BFILK commented
        Editing a comment
        how would you rate the V4 vs the VG in terms of speed and ease of ride?

Thanks Chris now I need to make it down to a demo day to try one. I think I am more confused than ever. I love the idea of the nano as I always wanted a rounded nose short board and this just might be it. I guess the bigger question is which board fits in the quiver of a BP and a spitfire and a hellrazor. Where is there too much cross over?

Comment

The Nano will have less overlap than the VG. BP for mush, Spit for cleaner waves up to chest, Nano for punchy chest to slightly OH then HR from there.

Comment

Days where I'd take out my HZ, I'd also take out my VG. Though the riding style of the two are different, the wave height in which those boards excel are similar. Therefore, I'd go with a Nano to fill the gap between SF and HZ (overlapping slightly with the SF on the smaller days, and maxing out where the HZ would pick up on the bigger days).

Comment

Chris what do you think?

Comment

Bought a Vangaurd today.

Can't wait to try it out more, 5'10" FCS.

Now I got to figure out the fin stuff, which is the fun part.

Comment

You're stoked!

Comment

Hey Hwork what are you dims Ive be tossing up between a VG in 5' 8" or 5'10"

Comment

Here is my dims: 6'3" 185-190 43 years young and pretty good fitness, doing something everyday physically wise. Surf 3-5 times a week.

Comment

• Peterleo
                      Peterleo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Riding a vg with rusty blackstix at point breaks and using shapers power quads at beach breaks. In my opinion the nano catches waves easier much easier but the amazing things u can do on a vg when you get onto the wave is like a Ferrari and a fast Holden. If you find the vg too loose put bigger fins in to gain more stability. It's definitely more radical . I still love the hellfire in any size it just performs on every wave

I have a vanguard 5.10... And 6.0 double agent still buy a new table ... that believes people firewire... 5.5 baked potato or 5,10 nano... Please help

Comment

Working...
                    X