X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size once again??

Ok The usual questions what size? Me 90-92kg 6' 1" love my uni 6' 4" but could have gone 6' 2" after reading all on this forum I'm still confused, 5' 8" or 5' 9" ??

hey 50 young...hmm hmm hmm. tough call. So i went to the nano straight from my performance hybrid volume and found success. Going off your Unibrow dims i would definitely push you towards the 509. At 91kg, i think you gain WAY more from that added volume than you would by going shorter and shaving float. Also the nano has a nicely pulled in tail and a bit of nose rocker that makes the board really work well. if you were handed a 509 you would get on it and love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      hey 50 young...hmm hmm hmm. tough call. So i went to the nano straight from my performance hybrid volume and found success. Going off your Unibrow dims i would definitely push you towards the 509. At 91kg, i think you gain WAY more from that added volume than you would by going shorter and shaving float. Also the nano has a nicely pulled in tail and a bit of nose rocker that makes the board really work well. if you were handed a 509 you would get on it and love it!
      Thanks Chris, I'm looking at the Vanguard, so the Vanguard would be the same?

Comment

I'm riding a 5'10 Nano and was interested in a Vanguard. I held a 5'10 Vanguard and it was an inch taller than me and the rails felt pretty large. Can someone throw me a size rec. Maybe the 5'8??

Comment

• Waxer
          Waxer commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm riding a 5'10 Nano and was interested in a Vanguard. I held a 5'10 Vanguard and it was an inch taller than me and the rails felt pretty large. Can someone throw me a size rec. Maybe the 5'8?? Is it worth having both? If so why?

Hey Vanguard riders...
        I'm riding a 5'10 Nano and would like to try the VG. Is everyone going smaller on the VG than Nano? Or riding them the same size? I'm sure I could paddle the 5'8 but it would take more effort...Is the performance worth it?

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          IMO smaller is better. I'd ride a. 5'6 nano but would have a 5'4 vanguard if buying a stock FW.
          Mark Prices was saying he started on a 5'6 vanguard to keep within his normal volume range, switched to the 5'5 to reduced width and length but is now riding the 5'4. Obviously Mark surfs well.
          I think the key is riding the vanguard in conditions that favour it and allow you to minimise volume needed.
          If you want it as a daily driver and you regularly surf in strong, rippy line ups then keeping the volume will help.
          Short paddles in good shaped surf and you don't really need all the volume with this shape.

i wouldn't concentrate on the length of this board...its going to be shorter than what you're used to riding and takes a little bit of getting used to...go for the same volume you would for a performance shortboard and if you're feeling that might be way too small, go up one size. you really don't want to go too big on this one. if at all possible get to a demo

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          less volume than your hpsb imo

5 foot 6 if you really wanna fly and ..5 8 if you wanna go slower. The smaller one screams in hollow surf and the one in fuller surf. Tried all 3 sizes and got the .5 7 . Found any longer too much front end bounce . Once you get used to one size you want a smaller one. I've had a 5 10 then a 5 8 then a 5 6 then got the 5 7 .

Comment

Been surfing for about half a year. Wish I started 20 years sooner. I'm 24 at 5'8 and weigh around 130. I went with a 5'0 VG in FST. Usually prefer riding thrusters but on the VG, quads have been really fun. Been using the true Ames TP quads and they almost feel like a thruster. Feels like I don't have to try as hard when getting into waves. Usually surfing crappy close outs at venice beach breakwater. Most trouble I had was when I first started paddling on my VG. At 20.2 liters in volume, the board felt like it was sinking. Took me a few hours to get used to paddling around on it but once you get the paddling down, you can paddle around pretty quick. As for pearling. Not much of that happening anymore due to the nose shape I'm guessing. When you pop up, I suggest trying to keep your back foot as far as possible. The way I see it, the smaller the board, the easier it is to throw around on the wave. Plus, if you think about how Dan Thompson shaped the VG, he shaved off as much volume as possible without sacrificing performance abilities. So maybe he would tell you to go with the smaller end of your volume. But I'm just a kook what would I know?

Comment

I picked up a fst 5'10 Friday.... I decided to get the same size as my Nano. To bad the waves here in Southern California went flat.. I've been groveling the board the last two days...all I can say is that the board paddles great... But I have not caught a wave worthy of more than minor turns. I've found the balance point and I'm just waiting to go.... The board feels like it has more volume in the forward part of the board which makes it feel really stable. Even though I was paddling in wind slop, it feels just as fast as the Nano to me... There are waves arriving later this week.. Can't wait!!!

Comment

Working...
            X