Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'6 vs 5'8... any benefits going up in volume ?

Thinking about replacing my 5'8 Potatonator/5'11 Chubby Chedda with a Vanguard and maybe something like the Double agent.

The potatonator has the lowest volume I've surfed, but I was surprised when I got it in the water... No issues with the volume, feels just right. Haven't had too many surfs with the CC, but the ones that I've had I been thinking that I wanted more speed... maybe I should change fins? I've only tried PC5 in it.

Anyway: I'm not sure that the 5'6 has got enough volume, but the 5'8 has too much volume (I think) to perform well in good surf. With average European conditions in mind, would a 5'8 be better or do you have to surf these short and low in volume to make them work. Not sure if I want a oneboard quiver or to get a groveler as well.

Chris: I've read that you considered the 5'8, but ended up with the 5'6. Did you surf the 5'8 first, and if so: how did it feel compared to the 5'6 ?

stats:
    78-80kg , 185cm/6'1"
    surf in wetsuit all year 4/2 or 6/5/4 + boots, hood, gloves

Check out the dims on the upcoming Vader. The 5 8 Vader has the same volume as the 5 8 potatonator. If you are happy with that volume then it might be worth waiting.
    I would love to see a run down on how the Vader and the vanguard differ and what the strengths and weaknesses are between them.

Comment

Yeah, but I only want a FST board... Vader will only be LFT (at least this year)

Comment

I'd get the 5'6 VG Erling. I think it could be a good fit for you. I'm a fraction shorter and lighter and found the 5'6 too much board but I don't surf in as much rubber and tend to ride less volume than you. In my opinion going 5'8 would be a big mistake. These things have no wasted volume and the design gets up and planing quick and rides up on top of the water. If you go too big you'll struggle to keep the rail in when it's big and there's some texture on the water. I'm on a 5'4 now and it feels a million times better to me.

Comment

as a comparison I did a demo on a 5'8" @ 90kg - it was easily enough board for reasonable / good waves. 5'6" sounds like enough for you

Comment

Comment

yeah 5'6 is probably right for you though I get the feeling this board would penalize you less if over-volumed. I say this because the rails are so sharp and square and the channels give it plenty of bite.

I too am waiting for the Vader (in FST - I can wait) I have a 5'8 VG and should go down to the 5'7 but a 5'8 vader will really let me grovel but still handle some size and maybe small enough to sneak along with me on a "non surfing" holiday!! How do you reckon that will work out? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                yeah 5'6 is probably right for you though I get the feeling this board would penalize you less if over-volumed. I say this because the rails are so sharp and square and the channels give it plenty of bite.

I too am waiting for the Vader (in FST - I can wait) I have a 5'8 VG and should go down to the 5'7 but a 5'8 vader will really let me grovel but still handle some size and maybe small enough to sneak along with me on a "non surfing" holiday!! How do you reckon that will work out? :)

hey Slowman can you remind me of your height and weight as I'm still deliberating on the size for my VG thanks

Comment

• Slowman
                  Slowman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sure 50, I'm around 90kg and 6'0 (183cm).
              Working...
              X