Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning FST Dominator & Spitfire

Hi All,

Just got back from an awesome trip to PNG where my Dominator and Spitfire were the envy of everyone. Anyway they've sustained a few battle scars none more than some tackiness of gaff tape used to cover some cracks and sticky tape to secure some bubble wrap.

What would be the recommended cleaning product to get the boards looking good again after a de-wax, I was thinking some form of white spirits?

Cheers

Drinky

There is a liquid called "Goo gone" that works really well. Im my case I always ise a rag and hot water, just like to take my time.
    The sponge to clean dishes always work as well, the rougher surface, but be gentle

Comment

I use white spirit when I clean my boards, just get it done as quick as I can and then get every rinsed off with fresh water.
      Be careful if you have open dings and keep WS away from the vent if you have one!

Comment

Heading up to PNG next month (feb 2012) with a Hellfire and new Alternator. Wondering if it's worth taking a ding repair kit? Both are FST boards.

Comment

Yeah absolutely worth bringing a repair kit. Just make sure it is epoxy!

Cheers and have fun.

Comment

There's this new stuff on the market called Board Bog for temporary but secure repairs while you're away but it can be easily removed later when you get back for permanent professional repairs.

Comment

Ding repair travel issues

I've had epoxy repair kits confiscated at the airport for security reasons. They just assume that because it is a resin it is volatile and could explode in the hold or be used in some kind of nefarious manner. Check with the airline before you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Piha Local View Post
                I've had epoxy repair kits confiscated at the airport for security reasons. They just assume that because it is a resin it is volatile and could explode in the hold or be used in some kind of nefarious manner. Check with the airline before you go.
                I thought that was only for hand luggage...no more than 100ml of liquid is the usual limit, at least to the US, I believe the restriction has been relaxed in other destinations. So they took this off you at check in?

Comment

I took epoxy to Morocco in my board bag. The woman said to you have any dangerous materials in there so figured I should mention it. Said, well I've got some epoxy resin in there. She said "uhh what's that?" I explained that it was to repair my surfboard and she said not to worry about it haha.

Comment

I was stopped in Japan by airport customs who searched my boardbag and found my repair kit, the guy then pulled everything out and found a bag of Q-cells. the guys eyes lit up and you could see he thought he had made a major drug bust while i tried to explain it was fibreglass bubbles ??? to my amusement the guy took a huge sniff out of the bag then proceeded to grimace and cough as he realised that he hadnt made a massive drug bust and all his mates were falling about laughing when they realised what the tit had just done?? still confiscated it off me too lol.
                    Anyhow to clean my boards i just use the Sex Wax (wax and tar remover) it works like a dream and smells of oranges its and its non toxic and biodegradeable. used to watch a South African friend of mine in Australia clean his boards with unleaded petrol ??? not recommended due to the Benzene content and its bloody dangerous lol

Comment

Haha that's a classic story. I can imagine q cell at customs being dodgy!

Comment

Yeah You should have seen his face when one of the other Japanese custom officers actually realised what they were and told him what he had just inhaled lmao!!! I was gutted tho as that ding repair kit wasnt cheap and i was just on my way to Indo for a few months and needed it !! still that was pre 9-11 and they wouldnt let my board bag on with resin and hardener all they left me with was sandpaper, fibreglass cloth and the ice lolly sticks! totally useless without the resin, catalyst and q-cells lol

Comment

ha pudzee that is a funny one! bet the guy was coughing for a while.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X