X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FST Subscorcher Water Ingress

Hi. I have a subscorcher (great board) which suffered harsh damage on a reef - notably, thumb sized smash on rail, 3 inch crack/split on deck, and cracked centre Fuzion fin plug. Left it to dry out in warm room, wax down and tail below the level of the nose by about 1 foot. During the afternoon when the ambient temp was highest (~28C) water was forced out of hairline crack in plug via a tiny hole in laminate above plug. The next day more water appeared. And the day after. And day after... It's been two weeks now, and every time it gets warm and air expands inside it, more water appears.

Nightmare. I have no idea how much water is in there!

So I can try and work out approximately how much water is in it (and whether to get hold of another board whilst I try to dry it out) does anyone have a figure for the weight of an undamaged 6'0'' Lost Subscorcher FST (with or without fins, wax and pad - any numbers better than none!!). I guess there will be slight differences between boards, but hopefully factory economy should keep this minimal. Infact, any Firewire Rep's out there with the numbers?

Also, if anyone has any tips on water extraction...

Many thanks in advance from a vaguely dismayed fellow surfer.

You could drill a small hole neck to the damaged fin box and then keen moving the board between warm and cool areas to push the majority of the water out, then use a dehumidifier.
    Another option is to make an extra hole at the nose and use a compressor at low pressure to pump the water through and force it out the hole at the over end. I'd read up on this technique on swaylocks before attempting though. I think it's a technique Bert Burger uses when repairing his boards.

Comment

Cheers for the info. I will continue using "warm and cool" to try and expel as much water as possible, for the moment... Funny you should mention the air compressor - I've had a few half formed ideas on hooking up dehumidifiers and compressed air, but was put off from trying a compressor due to what I thought was the strong possibility of causing more damage! Suspect it is trickier than it initially seems. I will definitely find time to do some reading on Swaylocks about the experiments of BB and water damaged compsand boards!

Still, having a ball park weight against which I can compare my board to estimate quantity of water still in there would be pretty darn useful (not that it changes the nature of the problem) - anyone out there with a weight figure?

Comment

Around 6lbs I'd guess. Maybe a little more.

Comment

Wills, not wanting to bum you out but..I had one take 6 weeks to dry once. I had a 2 inch split on the rail which may have happened minutes after getting in. I surfed that day for about 3 hours so it sucked water for most of that time. It was winter and every night I would put it about 10 feet away from a combustion wood stove which kept the room about 25-28 C all night. Every morning I came out it was still dripping and fizzing out. I stuck paper towel in the hole to try to draw the water out and every morning it was wet. Its a major bummer of this type of foam. There must be some reason why FW dont used the closed cell foam like Surftech did...that foam doesnt draw water at all....maybe Chris can say why??

Comment

Cheers for the numbers prjwebb! I will borrow some digital kitchen scales and get some data - interesting to know how much the weight goes down/up depending on this and that. FW Fan, yeah, major bummer indeed. My board was in the water for about 10-15 minutes after damage whilst I paddled back to shore...
            I'm pretty much resigned to missing autumn swell on this board now, which is a shame as it was a reliable all-rounder. I spoke to a professional repairer who indicated potential drying time in the order of months - at least my girlfriend will love the new environmentally controlled warm drying (bed) room. He also indicated possible long term negative consequences due to abrasive quality of minerals, salts, etc. left behind. Could flush it out with fresh water I suppose, but then the drying time goes up massively... New board time I think (gf will NOT like that!). Cheers for your input guys.

Comment

Where a outs in the uk are you? I know ding devils in north Devon can dry the boards out fairly quick and get it looking like new. Might be worth getting it to them.

Comment

Ok, cheers for the heads up re Ding Devils. I will see what can be done...

Comment

thanks for the advice PRJ and FW-Fan.

Comment

Working...
                  X