X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked Potato: Just like the tides

Just got my Baked Potato today (5'3 RF) after 3 months of waiting (!), and it looks hectic! Was so stoked to take it out for a paddle today (2-3ft mush). Handled perfectly, was super fast through the lines, tore up the swell. Was sooo happy!

However, I found that during my ride it had sustained a slight crack on the side of the nose - totally devastated! Was just wondering if anyone else had encountered softish rails, as I was surfing a beach break and really don't understand how the rail could have gotten damaged? Nothing of any significance occured: no massive wipeouts // spills, no drop-ins, nothing really that could have explained how it occurred (perhaps seaweed? there was a little // alot washing around inshore).

Have loved my FST Hellfire for the last year, and whilst I am absolutely stoked with the Baked, a little bummed that it occurred on the first ride and that I will have a week downtime for repairs. So, the high (great board, soo fast!) and the lows (damaged rail) of surfing!

i've dinged my boards without realizing it on a fall or two.. u might not notice it hitting u or the bottom which could cause a ding.. happened to my sweet potato in fst when i tried to squeeze an extra turn in really close to shore as i pulled through the back (with board in hand) part of the board must of hit the bottom or small rock.. ding! nothing major though if it was a pu board it wouldve had a hole in it

Comment

Yeah I don't think it has something to do with soft rails, at least on my experience with over 10 FW's I've never experienced anything of the sort.As Kdroping said it could have been the board hitting the bottom on a closeout. During day to day transportation, the board hitting your sheen/head/elbow.
      The most important thing right now it to get it fixed properly. to avoid any/anymore water to come in. Crucial at tihsp oint is to let it dry properly before any attempt to close it

Originally posted by Chillax View Post
      Just got my Baked Potato today (5'3 RF) after 3 months of waiting (!), and it looks hectic! Was so stoked to take it out for a paddle today (2-3ft mush). Handled perfectly, was super fast through the lines, tore up the swell. Was sooo happy!

However, I found that during my ride it had sustained a slight crack on the side of the nose - totally devastated! Was just wondering if anyone else had encountered softish rails, as I was surfing a beach break and really don't understand how the rail could have gotten damaged? Nothing of any significance occured: no massive wipeouts // spills, no drop-ins, nothing really that could have explained how it occurred (perhaps seaweed? there was a little // alot washing around inshore).

Have loved my FST Hellfire for the last year, and whilst I am absolutely stoked with the Baked, a little bummed that it occurred on the first ride and that I will have a week downtime for repairs. So, the high (great board, soo fast!) and the lows (damaged rail) of surfing!

Comment

yeah i agree here as well. the rails are the easiest part of the board to damage and remember, compared to FST which has balsa rails, Rapidire tech has glass on foam along all the rails. it doesn't sound bad though and really dont sweat it. Just dry it and have it repaired and don't think about it. I got a dent in my first new car ever on the first day i had it. Glad to have gotten it out of the way early...HA!

Comment

Ahoi firewire-crew, a moroccan cab-driver wrecked my beloved 5'6 spud - to be honest, I was even kinda stoked on that, since that gave me the excuse to get in on the baked potato action. Got mine last week in white rapidfire and took it out for a go this morning. I went great but when I got back to my place I noticed, that the bottom of the board had a few minor dents along the rail line - so I checked it and noticed that the bottom of the board dents super easy along both rails and feels soft under a bit of pressure - so if you grasp it firmly to pick it up, while duckdiving or when doing an air, that's a couple of new dents every time. The deck is nice and stiff and the rails feel fine too - just like on my sp, hellfire & spartan model. I'm pretty sure this problem isn't due to the new white rapidfire tech - so it might be faulty manufacturing? Since the squishyness is so widespread I wouldn't really know how to fix it or if there's even anything to be fixed. What's your take on it?
          Cheers,
          Johnny

Comment

Potential over sanding leaving the glass too thin?
            Where are you based? If you're in Europe I'd take it back to the dealer and explain it to them and they will get in touch with Myles. If you're in the US or Aus I'd shoot Chris an email and explain the situation to him and he'll get it looked in to.

Comment

cheers for the quick response - I'm in denmark at the moment, but I ordered it from secretspot-surfshop in the UK. I'll get in touch with them to see if I should ship it back over

Comment

yeah Johnny i don't believe I have seen an email from you but feel free to do so at the email below.

Cheers and thanks for your support.

Comment

Working...
                X