Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious delamination problems on Fishtail after 1 year use

Dear FW, dear Chris,

I am a true Firewire fan, but I am starting to get a bit worried on the durability of the boards. I have a Fishtail 5'10 and after 1/2 year of use in the mushy Dutch North Sea I already saw some air between the outer skin and the core, looks like a form of delamination. Also little bumps appear on the front of the board. Now (almost a year after purchase) a serious crack (without hitting something or someone) is in the middle of the deck and water got in the board :(. I will try to repair it, but is this normal? A friend wanted to buy this board and was with me when I discovered the crack. He looked at me saying "you told me FW are really durable!", so I had some trouble finding arguments to counter his comments...

I already snapped two FW boards in Dutch surf (a Dominator and an Alternator). For the first one, which was really new, I got a good service of you guys. The Alternator was used a lot, so that was just due to happen. So, I hope your customer service will help me out again. I was thinking of selling the Fishtail to buy a Potatonator or a Technograin but doubt about these boards is becoming bigger due to this strange delamination problem. Can you guys help me out with your customer service?

Best regards, Ben

Any pics Ben??. Try to contact myles
    [email protected]
    Last edited by iggy; 03-10-2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

I've cracked the deck of my Dom twice with my knee. I just got them repaired. If you put enough pressure on something, particularly repeatedly, you'll get damage. My Dom is maybe 18 months old.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I will contact Myles. These are the pictures. The whole white area is delaminated and makes a weird, squelching sound when I gently push on the area with my finger. The second picture is about the strange bumps on the front, it's not an immediate problem but it is not normal and it seems to contain air under the outer layer as well. Buzzy, I had a crack on my Hellfire and of course I wouldn't contact FW for that and just repair it, s*&*t happens :) but this is a bigger problem, especially because I didn't hit something.

Comment

ps. I am trying to upload the pictures with the URL but I am not allowed because FW fights spam and I still have a lack of posts.. Anybody an idea how to post the pictures? I guess I have to post on this forum more, almost like spam.. ;)
          Last edited by BenFeiertag; 03-10-2013, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Yeah, not sure about that, maybe new spam filter settings. Can you paste a URL in with a space in it somewhere so it doesn't show up as a full link?
            I think you might have trouble convincing people that the delam after a year's use is down to a construction fault though.
            Usually those kind of problems are down to small cracks letting in water and compromising the bond to the core, or from exposure to high temperatures.

You can email Chris at [email protected]
            or try Myles at [email protected] but I think Myles is currently in Indo.

Comment

Yeah those types of delams occur when you have small cracks unnatended and water filters in slowly producing delam. Secon hand boards who have sustained dings are more prone to this. Is not the "how well it was repaired" but the "was it let dry enough?" factor

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, but there were no cracks before or repairs on this board. It was in a good state. And the bubbles on the board are weird too. I always take good care of the board and don't leave it in the sun. I am a believer too (and want to stay one), but this is weird.

Comment

And do you guys know what these bubbles are? I have gotten them on my last two boards and one of my friends who bought a Lost Stealth FW got the same problems after only two months. It's weird. any ideas? It can't be the sun, because we live in the Netherlands, not much sun here.

Comment

No idea, never had an issue like that in any of mine

Comment

My mate had a bubble in his old quad fish. It was because he left it cooking in the car on a hot summer's day.

Comment

EPS blanks can emit gases...that was the original reason for the valve in the deck. I really don't know if that is what it is but it does sound like it. I suspect good photos and one of the manufacturing development guys could answer that.

Comment

Working...
                        X