X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracked, probably water logged, deck repair

It seems I've cracked the deck by my backfoot on my Spitfire. Unfortunately, I have no idea when this occurred. A few weeks back I did notice some water in this exact spot (when I left my board lying on the floor), but I just assumed it was water that hadn't evaporated off the surface from washing it. So this crack has been there for at least a few weeks. I usually inspect my board during sessions or afterwards, but because of the wax I had no idea it existed. I only noticed it today, as I was waxing when I pressed down on the deck water came up. Even knowing where the crack was I still couldn't see it until I cleared the wax off.

I'm not quite sure how I haven't noticed a weight or float difference, quite a lot of water has been coming out of it (well, what seems like quite a lot). I supposed I can blame the awesome performance of the board, as I was making sections that other boards couldn't (it's certainly not my skill lol). >.<

Now I'm pretty concerned about the time that this has had to soak in water (I usually surf 3 days a week), and what effect that will have, as well as how long I should leave it to dry (it's quite humid here) before I try to repair it. I rack my board every night wax down (but at a 45 degree angle as opposed to flat), so I don't know if that might have assisted with draining it every night.

Also, do I need to worry about the crack "running" from my constant foot pressure in the future? Any help/advice would be appreciated, thanks. :)

EDIT: I should note, the small ding isn't leaking water (though sucking on it gives a taste of salt, so water did get in there). The crack is pushing out quite a bit though.

The board is a 5.10 FST Spitfire, and currently weighs 6.5lbs (without fins and leash).

Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rahsoul; 03-23-2013, 02:20 PM. Reason: added info

if you have access to an authorised repair centre i'd try and get it to one of those as some of them have pumps or vacuums etc for water extraction which will be much faster and more efficient than waiting for it to happen naturally.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have access to an authorized anything as I live in Barbados (I bought my board on a trip in the U.S.), I would have to fly my board out. >.< There are local shapers (who do repairs), would they normally carry that kind of stuff? Though I'm a bit nervous about letting random people (not firewire or epoxy shapers) handle my board.
      Last edited by rahsoul; 03-23-2013, 01:51 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

nah it's unlikely they'd have that kind of kit. i'd wait for chris to chime in and offer some advice on the drying process. i'm thinking it's potentially going to be a good idea to either cut out the cracked area to let the water out easy or drill a hole just above the balsa on the diamond tail and leave it stood up with the tail down and let gravity do it's thing.
        what is the board currently weighing?

Comment

Haha You're depressing me. :P

Just measured. It's 6.5 pounds (digital scale), with the fins and leash off naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
            nah it's unlikely they'd have that kind of kit. i'd wait for chris to chime in and offer some advice on the drying process. i'm thinking it's potentially going to be a good idea to either cut out the cracked area to let the water out easy or drill a hole just above the balsa on the diamond tail and leave it stood up with the tail down and let gravity do it's thing.
            what is the board currently weighing?
            Yeah wait for Chris. That board for sure has taken quite a bit of water. It is VERY important at this point to let it dry THOROUGHLY since the ding is right where the fin boxes are. Avoid leaving the board on direct sunlight. I have friend who goes to Barbados quite often and he told me there is a Surfshop there which sells FIREWIRE boards, so for sure they could put you in contact with the right person to get that solved

Comment

What size is the board? My heaviest board is my Sweet Potato at just over 3kg (6.6lbs) but my lightest is around 2.25kg (just under 5lbs) so it's not easy to gauge how much extra weight there could be unless someone has a similar sized FST spitfire to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                Yeah wait for Chris. That board for sure has taken quite a bit of water. It is VERY important at this point to let it dry THOROUGHLY since the ding is right where the fin boxes are. Avoid leaving the board on direct sunlight. I have friend who goes to Barbados quite often and he told me there is a Surfshop there which sells FIREWIRE boards, so for sure they could put you in contact with the right person to get that solved
                Yeh, I have it in the shade upside down draining now. I actually didn't know they sold Firewires here (I had checked, but possible I missed it). I should note, the small ding isn't leaking water (though sucking on it gives a taste of salt, so water did get in there). The crack is pushing out quite a bit though.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                  What size is the board? My heaviest board is my Sweet Potato at just over 3kg (6.6lbs) but my lightest is around 2.25kg (just under 5lbs) so it's not easy to gauge how much extra weight there could be unless someone has a similar sized FST spitfire to compare.
                  Ah sorry I should have mentioned that. lol It's a 5.10 FST Spitfire.

Comment

Is it your only board. If so bummer as its going to take time to dry it out but you are lucky that you live in a hot country.
                    I would chain drill several small holes along the crack and one at each end to help prevent further spread. Dry out the board in the shade for a week min. Vacuum pumping will make drying time quicker but is not necessary if time is not an issue.
                    Fix with epoxy repair kit using a 4 or 6 oz patch and maybe some qcell flier if you drill too deep by mistake. Weigh the board for future reference.
                    Once repaired I would fit a tail pad to further protect the area form foot impact. Hope this helps.

Comment

Take your time drying the board, it is the most important thing right now, hopefully you wont be missing many waves

Comment

Originally posted by pmorgan View Post
                        Weigh the board for future reference.
                        Once repaired I would fit a tail pad to further protect the area form foot impact. Hope this helps.
                        Weighing would have been a good idea, I'll definitely do that when it dries out. I never thought of track pads for protection, do boards normally crack from foot pressure? I despise how they feel. >.<

Is it your only board. If so bummer as its going to take time to dry it out but you are lucky that you live in a hot country.

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                        Take your time drying the board, it is the most important thing right now, hopefully you wont be missing many waves
                        I do have a 6th hand old beat up PU shortboard, but I love her (first bought board) and she surfs. =)

Comment

Yea I found the weighing info on a ding repair forum. I ment to weigh my boards befor any damage occurs but not gotten around to it.

I like a tail pad but some great surfers like Occy never used one.
                          Cracks from back foot pressure I would not think is not too comon. i had an old lost speed demon 2 and had no tail pad fitted. The tail got all compressed each side of the stringer but no cracks.
                          Firewire boards dont have a center stringer so may be more prone to this if you are heavy on the back foot air droping ect. You could glass on an extra patch where your foot lands. Or get one of the local Shapers to do it.

Comment

thanks for the info and help here folks. yeah iggy.

Comment

Firewire boards dont have a center stringer so may be more prone to this if you are heavy on the back foot air droping ect. You could glass on an extra patch where your foot lands. Or get one of the local Shapers to do it.
                              Thanks for the help. I'm guessing I should repair it with resin + fiber cloth etc. and not something like Quik Stik?

http://www.amazon.com/Ding-All-Epoxy...poxy+quik+stik

I ask because that is what I have. If resin/cloth is best I might look to take it to a repair shop as I'm not entirely familiar and don't want to balls it up. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X