X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a used Dom, checks on repairs?

Was fortunate enough to find a 5'6 Dom in a shop in Cardiff the other day used going for 250 with tail pad n fins, still bright white with one little pressure dent on top and a couple of dings repaired underneath. Was an impulse buy as it was 300 less than new and looks like its in perfectly good condition.

My only concern and I'm probably Being really over the top is wether it's dry inside with the repairs that have been done.

I weighed it by weighing myself and then weighing myself holding the board and it appears to be about 4 or 5 lbs or around 2kgs

Is there any checks I should do? Or things I should keep an eye on baring in mind someone else has done these repairs and I'm not 100% sure of its repair history.

Looking forward to trying it out as I'v always been curious about the Dom but since I have an el fuego and sweet potato I couldn't justify a full price Dom or spit

2kg with a tail pad sounds about right to me. How does it feel compared to your other boards?

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply

Do you mean to hold ? Or surf, havnt been able to surf it yet.

It feels same weight as my ef under my arm (5' 9 and same vol) so im pretty sure it's not logged.

Do you thibk it Would it hurt it if there was even just a little though?

Comment

I think there would have to be a decent amount to cause a problem. Certainly enough to create some weight difference.
        I'd say if it feels ok then dont stress on it. Aside from drilling a hole in it you'll never know so I'd just enjoy the board!

Comment

Thanks,

Sounds like good advice to me, I'd definitely make more of a mess drilling into it

Comment

Yes the ultimate test is whether it floats you. Even if there were a few molecules of water left inside it is not a solvent like acetone that would eat the foam and weaken the structure. As long as it floats you and is the expected weight I wouldn't worry.

Large amounts of water is a different story but the extra weight would be obvious. From what I've seen large amounts of water cause all kinds of contamination by absorbing into the channels between the foam cells bring with it salts which then crystalise and make it harder to get the water out - so time is of the essence in removing water, do it sooner rather than later!

Comment

Thanks that's good advice I didn't know what the score was with a few drops being left

Comment

FW will discolour around the damage if there is leakage. If you are worried post some pics of the damage, I get my little brother to do my repairs - they take time and patience - both which Im in short supply of - and skills of course

Comment

if its 4 or 5 lbs then I want it!! that is a great weight. rip that thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    if its 4 or 5 lbs then I want it!! that is a great weight. rip that thing!
                    Sorry for the late reply guys, its been a busy week. Appreciate the feedback. I have posted a pic of the ding and my progress with it so far in my attempt to get a nice dependable fix.

Chris - its about 4 and half lbs nice and light! feels good under the arm! so hope its all good!

Ireland - I sanded back the one ding that looked a bit substantial to see if i could do a neater job at fixing it (first job proved not to be the case, but im learning from my mistakes). It looks like its had a small ding about the size of 2 coins, I cant tell how deep, they seem to have filled it with some putty, glassed it and painted it white (it actually looked ok) I wasnt even aware of the putty until I sanded it back.

The only thing that worried me a bit is that once I sanded it back there seemed to be a tiny little hole next to the puttyed area. I stuck a needle in a little to test the strength and I ended up chipping a little bit away about 5mm into the board. You can see it in the photos (through the layer of resin/fibre glass) Im not really sure what was in there but it was kind of dark grey, not sure if this was some other fixer/filler or the colour of the foam.

My action so far on this attempt has been to mix up some resin, put some chopped fibreglass in the hole and then put a layer of fibreglass and resin over the whole area. Im going to sand it back, use a white posca pen and then glass it finished.

Does that sound like it would work? or do you think I should worry more about that grey colour where I chipped into the board a bit?

Thanks for any helpAttachment
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah that could have sued a much better job indeed. The ideal thing is of fill the whole with a piece of eps and the =n sand it down to level it with the rest of the board, once done apply finer glass and epoxy resin.
                      Those edges are too close to the puttied area, I would definitely of a bit bigger than that and then sand it down

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                        Yeah that could have sued a much better job indeed. The ideal thing is of fill the whole with a piece of eps and the =n sand it down to level it with the rest of the board, once done apply finer glass and epoxy resin.
                        Those edges are too close to the puttied area, I would definitely of a bit bigger than that and then sand it down
                        Thanks for taking a look iggy,

Do you think I should cut out the putty and put some eps foam in?

Or just put a larger area of fibre glass/resin over it?

I'v got resin and 4oz cloth but not sure where to get eps, maybe PRJ knows some uk based companies ? I'm still quite new to this repair stuff but it's all good practise.

I'm kind of worried il make it worse by cutting the putty out

Comment

It will hold the way it is I believe but with eps will look better.
                          If you are new to repairs I would suggest to bring it to the repair guy if it's something bothersome, otherwise sand down and apply another cloth with EPOXY resin and resend (not too much). Maybe a little sticker after to keep the sexyness

Comment

For EPS you can use any styrene from packaging as foam. I don't think that's what you'd be wanting though. It'd be the high density corecell foam you be wanting as the top layer.
                            To be honest, in that areas I wouldn't think you'd need it. It's not going to be an area that gets regular impact.
                            If the putty is solid in there and it's not too heavy, and it sounds like it isn't, I'd just sand that whole area a few inches wider than the ding until you expose a little weave, and lay a new piece of clothe around 2" wider than the repairs and try and laminate that down nice and tight. Maybe use a little cling film and tape it down tight. Once it's properly hardened sand it back flat and the brush a top coat of epoxy on their and sand it in once it's set.
                            Not sure what stage would be best to paint it in. Either before the cloth goes on or before the top coat of epoxy I guess.

Comment

Yeah, good advice for sure, I think the eps foam thing is likley to go wrong for me.

I might just sand it and recloth untill I can get it to a repair guy and get a quote.

I have a white posca pen to paint over it which I recon will keep it looking acceptable till I get a professional job done. If not the sticker sounds like a good call. Apart from that ding it looks brand new :)

Comment

Working...
                              X