Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato seems to be taking on water...

After a session on my sweet potato i noticed a puddle of water in the board bag and on the floor of my van. This was alarming to me as I just had a fcs fin plug replaced. The fin plug was found to have a crack inside the box. It was a professionally repaired and looks amazing. I do not see bubbling or obvious water drainage.
    I do not see or feel any ding, cracks, or holes anywhere on the board. I'm not 100% positive but the board now feels heavier than I remember it originally being. Is there an original weight for a 5'0" sweet potato rapid fire model?
    I was a little concerned about being able to see the fiberglass weave through the top deck. Can the board be absorbing water simply though the deck?

Are you sure the puddle wasn't from the water running off the outside of the board? If you can't see any damage then I'd give the fin boxes a good looking over. It wouldn't soak up water through the fibreglass.

Comment

rudyeye if you suspect your boarding taking in water, don't use it. do you notice any spider cracks? run your finger nails on the spots that look suspicious. if your nails get caught check that crack(s) out.

ALOHA!!

Comment

the amount of water that was puddling is more than any I have ever seen - 25 years surfing and right now I own 4 firewires!
        i scoured the fin boxes and do not see anything wrong. when my repair guy noticed the original crack in the fin box he waited to show it to me so i could see first hand what it looked like. all the remaining plugs look good.
        I do not see any spider cracking or anything amiss in or around the plugs. hmmmm....
        the trac pad is the wide fish style da kine pad. its a large pad. I had a thought that it was retaining water, plug the leash and and the remnant water left on the board - thats where all the water is coming from. But im not certain.
        Does anyone know if there is an original weight of the board? This would be an amazing piece of info for all to start with. That way I could know for certain whether it it taking on water or not. I guess I could've done this when it first showed up (new board in the mail) but i didnt.

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I always weigh my new boards, very good reference.

The weight would vary from board to board but I'd guess around 6lbs or maybe a little less.

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          If you fully dry the board then put it somewhere warm, any water inside should be pushed out from where it's getting in and you'll find the problem.

Most boards weigh in the 6 7lb range, but every board will be slightly different based on the sanding job, etc.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
        X