X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's The Best Way to Remove Paint??

I have a SP FST with a thick coat of paint sprayed on the bottom half of board. It looks like spray paint but not sure. Also a sealant or finishing coat was applied to it. Anyone know a good way to take off the paint? Acetone? Chisel? Sandblaster? haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ALOHA!!

I've removed paint jobs with a paint scraper and sandpaper. Depending on how well it was prepped it can be pretty easy or a complete ball ache. Once it's removed I'd clean up the bottom with fine sandpaper to remove scratches or sanding marks, then reseal with a clear lacquer.

Comment

Or spray a new design over it with a finishing coat and you've got your own artwork!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Phill looks like the previous owner sanded before spraying paint. I'll try a small section with some acetone and/or wet sandpaper. thanks!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Josh BL someone suggested that but I kinda like the plain look. If I'm able to get rid of it, I'll be sure to post for other users to see. thanks for the tips!

ALOHA!!

Comment

update: Acetone is doing the trick.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Good to hear. Hopefully that doesn't eat away your clear coat...acetone is strong stuff.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Josh BL yea that's what i was worried about. After I clear the paint I immediately wipe it down with another towel soaked in water and soap. So far so good...

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                X