Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do FIREWIRES get extremely brittle as they get old?

I love the way firewires work and I definitely get more life out of them than any other standard board but in the last two months two older firewires (ones that I have had for about two years) broke between my feet on bottom turns in nearly the same spot. Neither had any sign of buckling or cracks on top or bottom. I definitely got my use out of them but it just makes me wonder. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Shouldn't do. Epoxy resins don't brittle over time like poly resin. I would say all materials would fatigue, but not to that point.

Comment

i didn't think so. I am just having a hard time understanding how such odd breaks happened so similarly at the same time.

Comment

Any small dings taking on water?

Comment

not anywhere near the breaks. and by small dings i mean some rail cracks but they weren't in the same region.

Comment

Hi there, i really don`t think so. I have a dominator wich is my everyday board. It is 4 years old with non stop surf. Still performs amazingly well. Love it and am not thinking of any other brand or technology in the future. The only thing that i don`t like in my board is that she is now extremely yellow, clearly because of the sun but still performing really well as i said above!

Comment

Originally posted by blumpkin mung View Post
              I love the way firewires work and I definitely get more life out of them than any other standard board but in the last two months two older firewires (ones that I have had for about two years) broke between my feet on bottom turns in nearly the same spot. Neither had any sign of buckling or cracks on top or bottom. I definitely got my use out of them but it just makes me wonder. Anyone else have similar experiences?
              That's odd, what kind of tech were they? FST, RF, DD? And which way did the boards snap - upwards at both ends or downwards?

I have an old dominator in FST and it has to be around 2-3 years old, at least. I bought it 2nd hand end of 2011 and it has a valve. It is still going strong, currently on loan to a friend.
              Last edited by Slowman; 10-13-2013, 10:57 PM.

Comment

All of my Firewires have lasted years without losing their "pop". In comparison to PU boards, Firewires have a fantastic lifespan. Even boards that I've dinged and fixed still work great. I also tend to rotate boards, so I don't spend all my time beating on one board. If you're surfing one board everyday, then it will wear faster. But it should still last longer than PU boards (which take on water over time and get heavy).

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
                X