X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to repair dinged hellrazor

Hi I bought a used hellrazor and it had a ding in it, but I got a good price so I figured I'd fix it myself. I know FireWires are built differently, so what type of resin do I use? As for patching the ding, do I just use some 2oz fiberglass cloth right over the hole and patch with resin, then sand? I'm wondering if I should try to get the fiberglass cloth inside the board instead of overlaying it on the outside?

Epoxy resin. 2 layers of 2oz, second bigger than first. If it's a bit ding or somewhere that's going to take strain use 2 layers of 4oz.

Comment

Thanks Phil, it's bottom of the board, just above the fins. Is that a high strain area? Will the epoxy resin bond ok to the skin of the board? I thought that was made of something different?

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Would be handy to see the ding. If it's a small puncture 2x2oz would be fine. If it's a longer slice or similar 2x4oz is better. If it's a buckle you'd be better off with 2x6oz, at least.
        The skin is beneath the outer epoxy and fibreglass. Depending on how severe the damage to the skin is you might want to tackle it differently.
        Any photos you can post will be helpful for more specific advice.

I'll take a photo tonight and post.

Comment

Ok Phill here's the ding, I put change on it for sizing reference. It's really not that big after all, felt bigger in my mind. The guy at Mitch's said if it's less than a quarter you don't really need the cloth is that true? i already bought the kit, comes with everything, 2oz cloth, epoxy resin and catalist. I just realized I made the title HellRazor. This is a HellFire. oops

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks simple enough.
          First job, make sure it's all dry. The last thing you want to do is trap water in there.
          Then cut away any loose glass and sand up the surrounding area with 80 grit paper to key the area for repair. Next you want to mix an epoxy and q cell mix to fill the damage. Put enough q cell in so that you have a firm, paste like mix. Fill the damage leaving a touch extra rather than too little in the hole. Once it's set, scrape or sand it flush to the board.
          Next cut two patches of clothe, the first just slightly bigger that the damage, the second a couple of inches bigger. Mix more epoxy and laminate the two patches over the damage. The biggest on the top.
          Once it's set, sand the patches in to blend the repair into the rest of the board. Be careful not to sand straight through to the damage though. Once it's smooth and clean looking, mix up some more epoxy and brush it over that whole area as smooth as you can. Once it's set fine sand it in working down as fine as you like until you're happy with the result.
          400 or 600 wet and dry should be fine.

Thanks Phil. Three questions. How do I check to see if there is water in there? Do I need to cut away the glass if it's not loose? Also, that seems like a lot of steps for a small hole. In worried about compromising the shape of the board with extra sanding and patching and it not riding the same. Could I get away with simply fulling the hole with epoxy until it's flush?

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Only cut away if it's loose.
          Suck on the hole, see if it tastes salty.

That's the procedure for a proper repair that won't have any comebacks. You fill it without glassing over it and eventually it'll crack around the filler and start taking on water again. Better to do it once properly than multiple times half assed.

It's not that hard a process and it's good practice!
          If nothing else, fill and do one layer of 2oz and lightly sand in. At least there won't be any problems down the line.

Sounds good. Thanks phill

Comment

Phill, I thought q-cell was the part B of the mix, but based on reading it sounds like another additive to thicken the mix. Can I find it at regular surf shops or do I need to go to home depot?

Comment

nevermind Phill, I see it can be bought on the site that makes the resin

Comment

Just make sure you let it dry properly, you don't want any water in the inbox area, Dump a bunch of rice on top of the ding, seal it with plastic wrap or something similar. The rice will absorb humidity inside

Comment

Working...
              X