X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure dings clearly visible...

I got a beautiful 5'9" Unibrow about a month ago. I've surfed it solidly for the last 3 weeks in shoulder to over-head surf at a river mouth. Good waves, but not death pits. I don't think my board has hit the bottom (pebble bottom), and I haven't heard the telltale sound of a "thunk", but I've noticed a number of pressure dings around the nose of the board. Is this normal for an FST board under a month old? My friend told me that FST doesn't ding...

Anyway, check out the photos. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Pressure dings clearly visible...

Either you've been landing air revos on the nose, falling onto the nose or there's something not right. Is the deck collapsing under your front foot at all?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Phill. I haven't been doing any of those things! The dings started with one, and then they've slowly been increasing. I just took the wax off, and found some dings where my front foot would be. I got the board through the local Firewire rep here in Taiwan. What do you suggest I do?

Comment

Comment

Hmm looks fairly normal under front foot. Nose looks strange though. I'd show the rep and see what he says and just keep an eye on it.

Comment

Thanks, Phill. I sent him some photos, and he's passing them on to the headquarters, so I'll let you know how it turns out. Love the board, though!

Comment

I have almost identical pressure dings on the nose of my potatonator... Don't know what to think of it either...

Comment

do you transport the board in a board bag? The reason I ask this, is the pressure dings are roughly the same size and shape and the same distance apart. I may be TOTALLY wrong here, but it looks as though it's being dinged when transported. assuming when in the car or ute or what ever it's laying deck side down with the nose area resting on either part of the car seats, or rear tray.

Comment

• Goodfish
                  Goodfish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, always in a sock and a board bag. If it's a weekend day-trip, then I go by train and I put it in the over-head rack. If it's for a few days, then I have a surf rack on my scooter, so that's how I roll. Usually only 5 minutes to the surf, though.

I've gotten pressure dings like that on my boards in the past, and it's usually from an elbow or a knee smacking the board and then dragging a few inches. That's why the ding starts large and then turns into a skinnier straight line. Doesn't affect performance, but just a visual bummer when it happens.

- FIJ

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Josh. Yeah, I still love the board's performance, but I was surprised to get the pressure dings so quickly - I noticed one or two after the first couple of surfs! I thought the whole deal with Firewire was that technology like FST keeps the board relatively intact for longer though...That's why I'm concerned that maybe the board is compromised...It's only a month old!

Comment

Update: I just want to give a big THUMBS UP to the people at Firewire and Paul Hsu (Firewire rep Taiwan and Hong Kong). Those dudes said the issue with the pressure dings was their fault, not mine, so they agreed to replace the board. Wow! Firewire get a lot of love 'cos they give a lot of love. Thank you, Firewire!
                    Last edited by Goodfish; 02-15-2014, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• Phill
                      Phill commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good to hear. I've seen nothing consistent with those marks on any of my FST boards and didn't think it looked quite right.
                      Got to hand it to FW in the way they deal with things like this.

• Goodfish
                      Goodfish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, thanks for your insight, Phill. Great service from Firewire!

I notice my older FireWire SP is more resistant to pressure dings. My newer PN is not as tough. I hope FireWire didn't change their manufacturing process to save a couple of bucks! SurfTech changed their recipe and their boards went from bulletproof to jello. FireWire, don't make that same mistake!

Comment

nahh nothing has changed, but if you are concerned you can hit me up via email: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X