Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Snapped 6'0 dominator in 3 foot beach break- Repair or Bin? any advise Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapped 6'0 dominator in 3 foot beach break- Repair or Bin? any advise

Hi there,

I surfed a contest at the weekend in head high beach break conditions, and to my (and the many of the onlookers) amazement I managed to snap my Dominator. What was even more unusual was that it was actually the wave and not my fat ass that broke it!!

Anyway I was wondering has anyboby ever repaired a snapped one before or think better to stick it in the bin and move on. I'm not complaining, as I have had a good years surfing out of this board, and its easily the best board I've ever surfed, just not the strongest I don't think. I've got a replacement lined up (5'10 dominator - hope I'm not tempting faith by going smaller and lighter), just not sure if its worth trying to repair the broken one as I paid alot of money for it.

Cheers

Hey Bundoran,
    a complete break is a tough call. Its going to take a lot to repair it and it might break again (same deal as with any break). If you are talking contests, I might move on to something new.... But it is possible to glass it up and get a back up out of it.

Hope this helps!!

Comment

Is that not surferireland's board? looks identical to me...
      http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...ull=1#post4763

Comment

Yes PRJ, the exact same picture

Comment

Firewires are just amazing, its like a cat, 9 lives.... who can beat that :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
            Firewires are just amazing, its like a cat, 9 lives.... who can beat that :-)
            jejeeje ;)

Comment

troll!

Comment

nice work PRJ!

Comment

WTF!!!??? bundoransurfer and surferireland.. Are you two guys brothers / twins or pals? Or Trolls???
                  How does two blokes claim the same board they broke.

Attachment
                  Attachment

Anyrate, I would fix it for a borrower board to loan to kids and beginers
                  Attached Files

Comment

Me and my brother both have (had) dominators - I originally posted this on as my thread, looks like my brother hi-jacked it (or I hijacked his) - well I have "given" him my dom and bought a new spitfire - as for the broken dominator above - the laminate skin has peeled of the back down as far as the fins, I think its shagged, would never really feel the same as you would be adding alot of weight with the amount of glass required to repair.
                    Last edited by surferireland; 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Im the better looking one

Comment

Its quite funny really, this board has been out at our local reef in triple over head winter swells and yet he broke it in just overhead beach break - Ive got to say it was bloody heavy surf for the size of it, thick little shore breaks are dangerous as well as fun

Comment

yeah any wave that is dangerous at head high can break ANY board.

Comment

I would be surprised if I heard of any sweet potato's snapping its built like a little tank

Comment

I'm sure someone on the old forum managed to some how. Think they said they got addicted to using it in thumping tubes or something haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X