X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at buying a spitfire 6'4"

Hello! I am looking at buying a spitfire 6'4" for the ocasional good day in the caribbean. Some reviews state that it works well with cyclone swells in OZ. The question that I have is: how long ago did you guys move the manufacturing to Thailand? Setting up a factory from scratch is always an undertaking (firewire or not), specially in a place not known for surfboard manufacturing. I think probably the quality problems some people see are part of this process.

P.S. I still have a custom Nev 7'2" from the mid '90. Freaking great board (Pavones, NW Spain)

Production went to Thailand in 07 I think. There are no more quality problems in the boards than with any other manufacturer. As I understand the facility in Thailand is a very impressive operation. I'd have no worries picking up any board from Firewire and the Spitfire is a great board I'm sure you'd love it.

If you are unfortunate enough to have a problem with your board the guys at Firewire are very pro-active with their customer support.

Comment

Thanks for the input. It seems it has passed enough time to work out the setup quirks. Will check the board again for a last look...

Comment

One last thing, is anyone using fst/rf no tail pad? I have been riding a tuflite with no tail pad and I like the feeling

Comment

Personally FST!!!
          Can't surf without a pad

Comment

I never used to use a tail pad, but I used to destroy the deck on my old PU boards duck diving mostly, but I guess with the back foot pressure too. Now I always use a pad because it probably saves me money in the long run!

Comment

Originally posted by bichito View Post
              One last thing, is anyone using fst/rf no tail pad? I have been riding a tuflite with no tail pad and I like the feeling
              Guess where your tuflite was made? Thailand has been making surfboards since the beginning of tuflite I now we're up to tuflite III. That is probably around 15 years now. GSI have also been manufacturing their boards in Thailand for some time too, that includes their PU and EPS models. Thailand has been known for surfboard manufacturing for a while now and I think the quality is better than what is coming out of China.
              Last edited by Slowman; 05-04-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

The quoting is wrong. It doesn't answer the question. Lastly, Thailand is not San Diego, San Clemente, Santa Cruz, Sidney, Currumbin, or the North Shore. China is not in that group either. So no, I don't think those two countries have organic/spontaneous growth of workforce or expertise when it comes to surfboard making. And as soon as another bigger project/company comes the training of employees begins again.

Comment

I surf some boards with tail pads and some without. I prefer a tailpad but it's a 2% issue. I saw Occy was surfing at Margaret River without a tail pad and he surfs just a tad better than me!

Comment

Originally posted by bichito View Post
                    The quoting is wrong. It doesn't answer the question. Lastly, Thailand is not San Diego, San Clemente, Santa Cruz, Sidney, Currumbin, or the North Shore. China is not in that group either. So no, I don't think those two countries have organic/spontaneous growth of workforce or expertise when it comes to surfboard making. And as soon as another bigger project/company comes the training of employees begins again.
                    How can it be wrong? I used the quote function LOL.

I think the point is that once you separate the design and fabrication elements of surfboard building, you don't need to the do the fabrication somewhere near a surfing epi-centre. Of course tuflite, GSI's PU and EPS, FW will use materials and processes that vary but essentially they'll be calling on the same general skills. Materials and composites engineers can work with different materials and processes (and the workers they train and organise) and Thailand produces graduates in these areas (so you've got that general skill base) ...I think making it a good place to base fabrication. For R&D, not so much. As well have a look at this thread for some more insights ... http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...-not-Indonesia
                    Last edited by Slowman; 05-06-2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

good feedback everyone!!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X