X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New board dinged in shipping

Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment I ordered an Addvance to be air shipped. I was pretty excited considering it was the first new board I've ever bought. Kind of like buying a new car I guess. Well finally it arrived, the packaging looked pretty solid but low and behold when I had it unwrapped the nose of the board was dinged pretty solidly. Also a scratch in the deck towards the tail (not as concerned about this). I contacted the store I bought it from and they confirmed that they have insurance on all shipped boards but mentioned getting a credit from the insurance towards the ding repair, I have done some reading and it seems that the chances for a fix going sour are higher than I am comfortable with. This is especially frustrating considering I haven't even taken the board out. Should I just accept the ding fix credit or demand a new board if its possible? I am horrible at shit like ding repair and being a new board I don't trust myself to do a good job anyway. Also some of the glass looks weird, as if you can see the fibers and stuff though seemingly solidly glassed over and smooth just wondering if this was normal? If it surfs good I am happy, just kinda pissed because its my first new board ever. Also some weird flakes of glass around the leash plug, kind of looks unfinished compared to other new boards I've seen Any input?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by clockwork; 06-28-2012, 06:42 AM.

I'm sweating bullets because I have a board being delivered tomorrow and am worried about couriers getting a bit heavy handed. If mine was damaged I think I'd be trying to push the insurance company for a new board (unless the damage was minuscule) because there's nothing worse than a new board being dinged before you've even touched it. I'm not sure how much an insurance company will play ball on replacing the board, they'd probably want to hear that it wasn't repairable before that happened.
    What I'd do in that case is make sure it goes to one of Firewire's authorised repair centres where you know a top job will be done. Get the insurance to cover any courier costs to and from the repair centre if it's not close to you. That way you should get your board back as good as new and it won't cost you anything.

I'm guessing you checked the board over before you signed for it?

Comment

Nah, was air freighted over and got a call from the warehouse telling me that they were only allowing pick ups from 8 to 5 weekdays, when I work. So I had to have my wife go pick it up and she knows no better. Pretty frustrated with this, no FireWire repair place anywhere near me bah.

Comment

Nah, was air freighted over and got a call from the warehouse telling me that they were only allowing pick ups from 8 to 5 weekdays, when I work and said there warehouse is in the sun and we've been well over 100 degrees the last few days. So I had to have my wife go pick it up and she knows no better. Pretty frustrated with this, no FireWire repair place anywhere near me bah.

Comment

Buddy I hear your frustration, it sucks big time. Concerning the repairs, a picture will help a lot to determine wether the repairs are major or not.
          If done by an authorized Firewire repair shop, it will come out seamlessly.
          Where is the shop and where are you located?

Comment

Hmm should be pics in this thread I got them uploaded. Ordered from longboardhouse but I'm in Texas.

Comment

After looking at the pics they do look like perfectly repairable dings, nothing compromising. Check that there is no stress lines on the board, around 12in from the nose down. Looks like the nose hit something.
              Again I don't see anything to be concern about on those pics, nothing that cannot be fixed to perfection. Looks like a job any good glosser could do. If I were you I would consider to take the repair credit.

Comment

Ok good to know, maybe one of the million sup shops in Austin will have someone that can fix it. Still sucks being new. wanted to put the first ding in it myself preferably after an epic ride.

Comment

I know it sucks!!! specially when it wasn't even in your possession, but believe mr this repair should end up like new. Looks like sanding and reglassing, nothing too complicated. But those kind of things happen. I've seen already PU boards broken in half during transport, pretty heart breaking.

Comment

Update: I took this to a local ding repair guy who fixed it and even painted the black line back in. Got it home. Took it for a paddle. It cracks.over the repair. Took it back the guy apolagizes and fixes it making a pretty thick layer of glass on the nose, check it and its solid. Take it home, the next day after work I take a look at it and its cracked again wtf.

I wont use the ding guy I was before now since he can't seem to fix it. My question is, is there anything special needed to be done when repairing rapidfires? I'm going to be forced to drive 3 hours to the coast just to get a boars fixed and I would rather not have the same experience.Thanks for any input.

Comment

That sounds pretty odd... Is he using fibreglass or literally just brushing resin on it? He's using epoxy right?

Can you feel the cracks or are they just showing through what he's done? Shouldn't be anything special needed for the repair.

I'd sand back the damaged areas until the damaged parts are gone and then wrap a new piece of 4oz cloth about 2" bigger than the damaged area, laminate it with epoxy and tidy it up with sandpaper once it's properly hardened. Then finish coat it with more epoxy (with a little additive F added if you have access to it) and then sand up to 400 or higher to finish it in with the rest of the board.

Comment

I think he was just using some type of fiber filled suncure resin and just sanding it down then going over it again. This time it was fairly thick and still cracked. I would just follow a ding guide and do it myself but I have no access to this stuff atm

Comment

Ah right. That stuff is ok for a temp quick fix but it's never going to be a perfect job.

Comment

Hey Clockwork,
                            the repair should be pretty easy for someone who knows what they are doing and is comfortable lapping rails and board noses.

why don't you hit me with an email at the address below and I can help you a little bit further...

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X