X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rapid fire wood colouring?

Thinking about buying a second hand RF board and checking over its condition.

The wood is a slightly different colour on the right hand side of the board (see pics)

The guy selling says there has been no dings there. Is this normal for RF to have different tones in the wood? or is this a sign of delam? water penetrating? or something else.

Appreciate you guys taking a look

Attachment Attachment
    Attached Files

Check my album in my profile. There's shots of my spitfire when it was brand new with a darker stripe of bamboo down one side.
    As long as its not uneven in shape or patchy I'd say it's all good.

Comment

Cheers PRJ, I'd have thought wood could defintley have different shades.

When you say when it was brand new. Do you mean that it has a darker stripe and faded over time?

Really like the wood effect from a visual point of view

Comment

Hey matt, its hard for me to tell, but I am guessing that water may have done this one...

Comment

Nah it still looks like that now. Didn't really notice it at first and when I did I was panicking thinking it must be taking on water. But then I checked back on the old photo and realised it had always been like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Hey matt, its hard for me to tell, but I am guessing that water may have done this one...
            Just had a chance to look at the pictures without the sun shining on my phone screen and I agree. Looks patchy. If it was natural to the wood it would be a different shade the whole length of that section as it is on my board.

Comment

yeah matts image to me looks like water damage. I have never seen one out the box like that.

Comment

yeah matts image to me looks like water damage. I have never seen one out the box like that.
                Looks like a couple of cracks on the rail in that area from what I can see. Probably the cause.

Comment

Chris,

Cheers, think il steer clear then, PRJs colour difference is more in panels that run the length of the board where as this is more of a patch, and if your thinking it looks risky compared to others you have seen (and im guessing with your job youve seen a few) im not prepared to risk it.

Just out of interest if the bamboo takes on water like that would the damage be lasting?

cheers

Thanks for looking as well PRJ, its down in cornwall so difficult for me to get a proper look at in person, the guys travelling up to london and i dont want to make him bring it if im not dead serious, maybe better to wait or buy new

Comment

one more to show it in full view

Attachment
                    Attached Files

Comment

Back home on my computer now, you can def see in the first photo there's a big crack that's been patched in the rail where the water would have got in from. Also a smaller crack further up towards the nose.
                      If it's been dried out properly before being repaired it could be fine but it's a gamble if you can't give it a good check over before buying.

The length of the leash string sets off alarm bells too!

Comment

sad that someone would say it has never been dinged. just goes to show what is out there...

Comment

Looks like water has got to it, mines like that around the nose, if the board is dried out properly its fine, but i learn't that it not the foam so much but the bamboo that sucks the water.

If its cheap and you want it just buy it, then later drill a couple of 5mm holes say 5mm deep in that dark area and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days, patch up them rail ding's too. Wouldn't pay more that 300 for it though.

Comment

yeah wet bamboo definitely dries, but is typically left a different color, and to bakers point, you can take extra steps to induce more drying.

Comment

Yeh guys it's around 300, but to be honest I think after all the points you have just made il steer clear. I wouldn't pay more more than 300 either. But on the other hand that's 300 I could put towards a brand new one that I know hasn't got any compromising damage. I know where I'd rather put the money.

Gotta love the forum! I might have wasted 300 or more on that without this kind of advice! Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X