X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knot in balsa rail

Bought my Elf unseen from the factory. When it turned up I notice there is a knot in the balsa rail. I didn't really worry too much about it but now I have learnt to upload photos, I thought I might get an opinion on weather this could be structurally weaker?

The knot is about a foot down from the nose. The white marking over it is in the epoxy.

Thanks

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...s/0e1035c7.jpg

No need to worry STC. besides there are 3 layers of balsa in the rail here. Plus its wood so these knots happen from time to time. i wouldn't worry about it at all!

Cheers

Comment

People pay good money for that look on their floors!

My understanding is these knots occur from branches growing out from the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        No need to worry STC. besides there are 3 layers of balsa in the rail here. Plus its wood so these knots happen from time to time. i wouldn't worry about it at all!

Cheers
        Thanks Chris. Are the balsa rails laminated? Would be good to see a cross section of that.

The ELf is my favorite board atm. One recent session was a standout;

Mid week, mid winter day on the way back from mid NSW for work. No clouds and only needed a springy. Shoulder high glass A frame beachie breaking into a channel. No barrels but still fast and fun. Water so clear I could make out the pebbles on the bottom. Only one other guy out.

Surfed for so long. The Elf catches waves so easily but eventually ran out of strength and started kooking the take offs I was so stuffed. Was on a high for the 4 hour drive home.

The Pnator probably would have been good too but didnt have it in the car. Still havnt got it dialled in yet anyway.

If you don't surf radically vertical and happy just to drive down the line with an occasional cuttie like I do. The ELF is such a great option.

Comment

Originally posted by STC67 View Post
          Thanks Chris. Are the balsa rails laminated? Would be good to see a cross section of that.

The ELf is my favorite board atm. One recent session was a standout;

Mid week, mid winter day on the way back from mid NSW for work. No clouds and only needed a springy. Shoulder high glass A frame beachie breaking into a channel. No barrels but still fast and fun. Water so clear I could make out the pebbles on the bottom. Only one other guy out.

Surfed for so long. The Elf catches waves so easily but eventually ran out of strength and started kooking the take offs I was so stuffed. Was on a high for the 4 hour drive home.

The Pnator probably would have been good too but didnt have it in the car. Still havnt got it dialled in yet anyway.

If you don't surf radically vertical and happy just to drive down the line with an occasional cuttie like I do. The ELF is such a great option.

Sounds awesome, love mid to north NSW coast, brother lives in whale beach on the northern beaches but so much onshores there. Wish I had my ELF when I was last in OZ, so versitile!

Comment

Working...
          X