Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Spam Meaures and ideas

Originally posted by Justin View Post
    i just implemented some anti-spam stuff, literally 2 nights ago, i noticed a sudden drop off and then damn there was a lot this morning. i think the filter i put in place still needs some "training" ... meaning when i delete spam and ban the user, the system learns, remembers and enforces stricter rules with each new submission. thanks for your patience with this.
    I think something like a question about who Firewire's top sponsored pro is and the model he rides in the registration process will sort out the legitimate users. Maybe even a series of questions any surfer should know.

There are some other simple measures too to stop spambots like having to read a word or phrase in a wavy or odd font and enter it in a box.

If that doesn't stop it then you have to resort to individual approval of each user and get them to write about their background. I had to resort to this technique just for a group mailing list. This place is too good to let the spammers destroy it!

thanks for your ideas, i'm on it

Comment

yeah good advice slow man.

Ha I had 40 emails this morning from 1 spam account....justin and I were curious if anyone has ever bought anything from a spammer post from a name like 4455xchyu667 talking about products to help you lose 45 pounds in 3 days.

oh well, we'll win. don't worry.

Comment

i was trying to write a letter and new email alerts popped up every 2 minutes...wouldn't ya love to get yer hands on these buggers..!..i think face to face interviews for registration are required...and a surf test...if ya can't stand up, yer dont get in...

some online rego's use that "captcha" wobbly word thingy, or a sound clip where you have to say what you heard...would they work???

Comment

we do use a CAPTCHA form (the wobbly letters) ... but that is easily defeated. i've implemented a few new things... so far i haven't seen any spam since i did .. so fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
            ...wouldn't ya love to get yer hands on these buggers..!..i think face to face interviews for registration are required...and a surf test...if ya can't stand up, yer dont get in...
            I'm sure there are places where you can deposit the URLs that they provide links to...and then these underground nasty types ...bring their sites down! "Shut it down Mr Book!" It's all very anonymous stuff because some of these sites will not hesitate to use the law, yet have no qualms about employing the services of spammers...ironic huh?

Spammers brought down a forum I used to belong to in Taiwan called Formosan Fat Tire Association (see http://forums.formosanfattire.com/)...I'd love to do the good cop bad cop routine! I know you guys will get on top of it...I'm just venting about the demise of FFTA forum, it still annoys me. I never thought I held grudges but it seems I can!

we do use a CAPTCHA form (the wobbly letters) ... but that is easily defeated. i've implemented a few new things... so far i haven't seen any spam since i did .. so fingers crossed
            I recall working on vision processing in AI at uni and specifically; algorithms for character recognition for hand writing. Back then they were computationally expensive but with the advancement of processor capability these days, not a real problem.
            Last edited by Slowman; 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Crazy stuff!

Comment

Just a quick one.
                Sometimes when I post it says the post much be approved before it will appear. Anti spam measures I assume. Is it possible to change permission or whatever for known posters so that this doesn't happen?
                Happy New Year all, keep up the good work.

Comment

that should NOT be happening. you say sometimes ... can you clarify? when does it seem to happen and when not? i recently (yesterday) updated the forum version, so i'm curious if that's a bug? how long has this been happening? happy NY

Comment

I think it happened this morning. Possibly when posting from my phone. I'll post something from my phone in a sec and check.

Comment

i saw your test thread and note that it seemed to be working properly ... however i have reason to believe that some posts are getting caught up in a moderation queue ... it's inconsistent as to why so it's difficult to troubleshoot. if it happens again, please let me know. it might be that you are posting very frequently and to make sure you are not a spambot the software is sending your posts to moderation ... i will try to tinker with that

thanks for pointing it out to me

Comment

after a little digging, i found the functionality to control "floodcheck" ... meaning a preventative measure to prevent someone from 'flooding' the forum with frequent posts ... however, it is shut off ... so it must be something else ...

Comment

after a little digging, i found the functionality to control "floodcheck" ... meaning a preventative measure to prevent someone from 'flooding' the forum with frequent posts ... however, it is shut off ... so it must be something else ...
                          Ha, I'd be worried if that was the case! I don't think I post that much... I'll be sure to let you know if it happens again. Thanks Justin.

Comment

that should NOT be happening. you say sometimes ... can you clarify? when does it seem to happen and when not? i recently (yesterday) updated the forum version, so i'm curious if that's a bug? how long has this been happening? happy NY
                            Justin, it was impossible to get a thread started with Merry Christmas in the title or in the opening post - all needed to be approved. I finally put up this thread and had to put in an innocuous first post, then come back and edit in the stuff about Christmas. Often the anti-spam software when turned up to super aggressive mode can get "false positives" and identify non-spam as spam. Does it have the capability to accept manual rules or manually flagged posts that are OK (ie. you can tell it what mistakes it has made)?

Comment

Slowman, you actually started 5-6 different threads along that title. a couple of them did need moderation. i deleted the duplicate ones. yes, we have some new anti-spam software in place and of course it is set to super aggressive, this site gets pounded by the bots and i am doing my best to keep them out. here and there we are going to get some false-positives but on the whole they seem low. just let me know when you are having issues and i'll deal with it. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X