Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Futures fins for which board and wave.

Seems like most Surfers here are on FCS, Would like to hear the Futures fins set ups for a change.
    I ride / testing
    Dominator in Quadfin setup Tim Stamps (4.45 F) (4.0 R) Waist to shoulder, Mushy fun to semi hollow; fast down the line point breaks.
    Dominator in Trifin setup Tim Stamps (4.45" F) (4.45 R) Shoulder to Head high, semi hollow; reef and down the line point breaks.
    Dominator in Quadfin setup AM-2 (4.79" F) Rusty(4.38 R) Shoulder to Head high, semi hollow; reef and down the line point breaks.

Hell Fire Trifin set up with AM-2's (4.79" F)(4.5" R) for shoulder to over head +1/2: for hollow reef and powerful down the line
    Hell Fire Quad fin set up with Tim Stamps (4.45" F) (4.0" R) for over head to double over head +1/2: for fast semi hollow down the line point breaks.

Quadra -Five in Trifin set up with AM-2's (4.79" F)(4.5" R) for over head to double over head; hollow to semi hollow reef and down the line
    Quadra -Five in Quad fin set up with Tim Stamps (4.45" F) (4.0" R) for over head to double over head: semi hollow down the line point breaks.
    Last edited by Fritzkat; 03-17-2012, 11:13 PM. Reason: update

jc honeycomb for shortboards..i'm too heavy/push too hard for the blackstix
    jc or ea techflex in gunnier boards
    simon anderson 3 and fourfin for 510 hellfire

testing with am2 techflex now

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training;
      jc honeycomb for shortboards..i'm too heavy/push too hard for the blackstix
      jc or ea techflex in gunnier boards
      simon anderson 3 and fourfin for 510 hellfire
      testing with am2 techflex now
      CPT, what happens with the Black Stix? they flex too much and release too early?

Interested in your comparison of the AM-2 to the SA sets.
      AM-2 TRI is a larger flat fin 4.79 front with a 4.5 rear

and the SA has a huge rear quad fins. 4.63 front 4.36 rear doesnt it make the Hellfire board track alot more? or is that something you need as the board is looser?

Comment

i find i get too much of the blackstix's sideways flex in both jc and ea templates and it takes drive and response away and it washes the tail out and consequently pushes the nose/forward rail in on strong turns...if i was lighter or had a lighter touch they would be great...when i dont need to load up they swoop fluidly through arcs...testing done on flexfire/alternator and similar....sa's bind flexfire up...less so on alternator...they like a wider tail.(think simon's energy thruster)

will report back on am2's...1 foot here...swell next few days (and crowd)...expect similar off bottom on hellfire...more release off top (as if HF needs it!!)..expect them to extend flexfire and similar on open faces as a step up from jc's

i'm not a fourfin guy and have tried no other setups, so can't compare...but what i have experienced with four in the HF is the funnest forehand...not better than tri...just different...plenty loose...and more speed up out of bottom turns...and throughout full wrap cutties....back hand i have tried twice and gone in after 2 waves each time and swapped to 3 fins...initial bottom turns felt awful...unnatural...maybe here a smaller setup??

going now to see if i can get a bit of spray in 1 ft waves....see ya

Comment

oh, and our fearless leader has been enjoying in the 510 hellfire, the sa's the am2's and even the pancho's...and he is a light guy

Comment

I ride the ELEVON quads on the Spitfire and sometimes I throw the Deviant as thruster with the 2 front ones
            The Solus on the Hellfire
            Controllers on the sweet potato. Had previously use the V2F4 on it as we'll.

Comment

Iggy is that on the freshwater river or ocean wave?

Comment

actually both. I go to the East Coast whenever we get some sort of swell bigger than 4ft or when I get desperate,whatever comes first.
                For the bigger days I put the hellfire on thruster. At the river the Elevon quad work like magic as well as in no so favourable east coast beach break waves.
                Another set that I like a lot is to put the front elevons and the deviant

Comment

Both fresh and salt water. I tend to go to Maine whenever conditions get over 4ft (which this year has been pretty often).
                  In good days at the ocean I'll throw the Solus on the HF
                  My day to day fin setup/board will be the SF with the Elevon quads and sometimes I'll throw in the deviant to make it a thruster
                  And for the potato the controllers will fit like a glove no matter fresh or salt. The V2F4 also work really del for it making it quite loose

Comment

Vector 2 FEA blacksticx are some of my favorites....

Comment

• Peterleo
                      Peterleo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      those r amazing fins on big beach breaks like Cudgen and Salt. But even better r the Rusty Blackstix. I love how both fins bite into really steep wave faces. When i tried the Rusty ones after i fell in love with the EA Blackstix they worked even better for me. turns sharper, has more hold on takeoff, easier to build up speed after a turn. where the EAs r better is when they ride the top of a big wave, remind me so much of the first thrusters in the 80s. You can ride the EAs at the top of a wave which i can't on the Rustys. Found Rustys were more directional in bigger waves though.

iggy you coming down to maine tomorrow?

Comment

VectorII Ea blackstix for me too.
                      Keen to try the souls with that sick looking rear fin

Comment

• Peterleo
                        Peterleo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        these r good , really good. great in waves without too much power, as in more powerful surf with a lot of tide involved the rear hatchet fin slides out too much for me. But they r fast and love to b pumped off the back foot , turn easier then all the Black stix though. My favourite out off all the Blackstix and believe me they r all great fins is the Rusty Blackstix. great hold great release, loves getting deep into barrels almost effortlessly.

Hey Mr Core,

Didn't you used to have boards with FCS?
                      If so why the change & do you prefer and why?

Any other converts with there 2 cents please chime in...

Just asking cause it is only reason I may shy away from a Michel Bourez model. Having to collect fins that won't go on my other boards is a sacrifice in flexibility but I may not be able to help myself getting one anyway when they become available.

Drumbull

Comment

hey drum, actually got on them for the same reason you might...nev wanted me on a rapidfire, and at that time they were only futures...i was resistant, but nev was impressed with futures, their base stability etc, so i did as i was told and switched....wont go back...nothing wrong with other fins but these are rock solid for someone who has always trashed plugs and they feel solid at the base...now fcs has copied futures with its new plug it may be better, but you still have two tiny tabs trying to be stiff and connected to your board...

before anyone dribbles on about slater doing fine on fcs, if he was broke all these years when fcs plugs blew out and could only afford one board a year, he would want the solid setup too...
                        Last edited by core personal training; 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

it must be said that firewire mounts plugs in a stong base...others now copy this...so blowouts are not really a problem for us....but...still only 2 little tabs grabbing the board

Comment

Working...
                          X